Author Topic: 1st Build  (Read 5407 times)

Bob Rearley

1st Build
« on: August 24, 2008, 01:13:08 AM »
I can finally see the light at the end of the tunnel.  I spent this last week staining and finishing the stock and browning the lock parts and barrel on my Chamber's York County Gun.  The browning  and finishing processes went great and have been a lot of fun and rewarding parts of the gun building process.  I see some areas where I wish I had sanded a little longer on the stock and my carving isn't real strong but I know I can do better on the next one.  I don't know how many times I almost quit on this gun, but as I near completion I'm pretty proud of it and can't wait to start my next one.  Anyway, thank you all for your help on carving, finishing, sharpening, browning, and the list is endless.  What a great resource!

Bob

Buffler Razz

Re: 1st Build
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2008, 01:47:20 AM »
Pictures Please!
Congrats on your first build. I am wrapping mine up as well. Just need to complete the front sight for my Chambers Mark Silver Va gun.
Razz

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2008, 05:32:32 AM »
Post some pictures!
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

Bob Rearley

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2008, 08:25:20 PM »
I'll try to post pictures when I'm finished.  I still have the patchbox lid and ramrod to finish. 
Bob

Offline Karl Kunkel

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2008, 02:45:51 AM »
Bob,

Please post pictures or comments on the build.  I am considering a Chambers York withwood box for my second build.

Tx
Kunk

Ohioan

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2008, 02:53:56 AM »
Make sure you seat the barrel back far enough that the breech plug doesn't interfere with the touch hole liner...   ask me how I know...

My first build was a Chambers York.  I had a problem with the touchhole location

Offline Frank

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2008, 05:27:21 PM »
The Chambers kits all have their little quirks. I have a York kit and Noticed that I had to set back the barrel a little further. I have heard that the Lancaster kit has a problem with the front lock bolt going thru the ramrod hole. I have seen a smooth rifle and a fowler kit that have the same front lock bolt problem as the Lancaster.

Seven

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2008, 05:31:20 PM »
The Chambers kits all have their little quirks. I have a York kit and Noticed that I had to set back the barrel a little further. I have heard that the Lancaster kit has a problem with the front lock bolt going thru the ramrod hole. I have seen a smooth rifle and a fowler kit that have the same front lock bolt problem as the Lancaster.
  Not on the Chamber's Early Lancaster that I'm finishing up.  The hole for the front lock bolt wasn't pre-drilled and I still got it to go through correctly, not touching the ramrod hole at all.
-Chad

Offline Frank

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2008, 08:15:24 PM »
  Not on the Chamber's Early Lancaster that I'm finishing up.  The hole for the front lock bolt wasn't pre-drilled and I still got it to go through correctly, not touching the ramrod hole at all.
-Chad

Great, I think the one I heard about was one of the earlier kits from several years ago.

Bob Rearley

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2008, 08:22:09 PM »
Karl
I chose the Chamber's Early York because I  feel like the wood patchbox says early and since it was my first build I wouldn't have to deal with the brass patchbox.  That adds another whole new dimension to a gun for a new guy.  I also have a bias for York County guns.  I'm sure there are other folks out there who  you can get a York pre-carve from but  Chambers was the most highly recommended company at the time.  I must say, I have never heard anything negative said about the Chamber's  components and they have been very helpful to me on this project.  I did get into the face of the breechplug with my touch hole but I don't think it's a problem.  Many people will tell you it's desireable.  I think no matter how many guns a guy has built there are always little issues that come up and it's dealing with those issues that presents the bigest challenge.  There are pictures of the York County gun on Jim Chamber's web site.  I don't believe the gun is a copy of any particular builder.  I hope that helps some.  It's still going to be a while on the photos.
Bob