Author Topic: barrel treatment  (Read 4755 times)

jim m

barrel treatment
« on: August 24, 2008, 08:28:07 PM »
18th century, charcoal blue or rust brown, or would either be appropriate

Offline Randy Hedden

• member 2
  • American Mountain Men #1393
Re: barrel treatment
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2008, 09:41:36 PM »
Charcoal blue would be okay as would leaving it in the white/bright. Browning didn't really get started until the late 1700's.

Randy Hedden

www.harddogrifles.com
American Mountain Men #1393

J.D.

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2008, 01:40:22 AM »
How about a rust blue?
Or,  a simple heat blue?

I have not charcoal blued any parts as yet, but I have to wonder about scale forming in the bore of, an otherwise,  finished barrel. If the "blue" on the exterior is formed by scaling, then logic suggests that the same scale has to form in the bore. I don't know what effect this scale in the bore would have on accuracy, but it couldn't be good.

Just kinda thinkin'...typing out loud, so to speak.

J.D.

Ohioan

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2008, 01:54:08 AM »
I believe the process calls for plugging the ends of the barrel so that the scale doesn't form.  It's been awhile since I've read the article on charcoal bluing that is in, I believe, Gunsmithings Tips and Projects.  Or it could've been Recreating the American Longrifle.

ironwolf

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2008, 06:01:16 AM »
  Fill the bore with charcoal powder.

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2008, 09:34:59 PM »
I am convinced rust blueing was done....though I cannot prove it at all.

I have seen several locks that were blued, and it was obvious that it was done on purpose, and I just can't think of any other "period" way to blue metal that would not ruin the hardness of the lock.  Does this sound logical?

For the most part, though, left bright is the way to go.  ;)
« Last Edit: August 25, 2008, 09:35:37 PM by Stophel »
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

jim m

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2008, 10:12:04 PM »
I saw a matching pair of flintlock pistols in a museum that were reportedly made for the King of Spain  circa 1710. the barrels were a very dark blue/black color. I've always been curious how this was done.

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2008, 03:26:23 AM »
For what it's worth, Angier listed the oldest account of "russeting" in relation to firearms as 1627. Yes, I know his work is old, but it's all I have with me at the present.

Darkening metal through chemical reaction is about as old as the working of iron, so it is no far stretch to think early gunmakers were rust blacking firearms from the beginning, if needed or wanted.
Psalms 144

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2008, 05:38:49 AM »
I saw a matching pair of flintlock pistols in a museum that were reportedly made for the King of Spain  circa 1710. the barrels were a very dark blue/black color. I've always been curious how this was done.

This is rust blue on a GM pistol barrel. I really like the durability and its pretty easy to do.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine