Author Topic: Pre-Revolutionary War Flintlock  (Read 7508 times)

brown10

Pre-Revolutionary War Flintlock
« on: July 02, 2011, 07:08:16 PM »
Hello and thanks for allowing me to access this forum and the knowledge that is available here. I must confess that I have almost zero knowledge, or interest, in historic firearms. I was told of this forum by members of a modern firearms forum that I have been a member of for years. I know what is referred to as "trolling" on forums and do not want to be guilty of that. With your patience and that of the moderators, here is what I have.

A pre-revolutinary flintlock musket or fowler. It appears to be all original with nothing missing or replaced. The overall length is 64" with a barrel length of 49-1/2". The lady I got it from says that it may be French made, and belonged to a gentleman named Daniel Morgan, who is related to General John Morgan. She thinks it was either taken from a frenchman, or used by a frenchman and picked up after the war. She calls it a "fowling musket". I see no way to confirm any of this and the only documentation I am aware of is a hand written paper (modern not historic) given to her by the couple she got it from stating that it came from "Bruces Great Grandmother Morgan".

I am not a great photographer and can take additional photos if needed. Any information on this old musket would be appreciated. Thanks

Offline Collector

Re: Pre-Revolutionary War Flintlock
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2011, 09:16:16 PM »
brown10,  Welcome to the ALR forums.  Great find and thanks for sharing some photographs with us.  This piece looks to be in pretty good condition and the carved initials and numbers are intriguing.  The butt stock looks like it has a 'perch belly' profile.  If you could show us photos of the entry and ramrod pipes, forearm, end of barrel/stock and a full 'side profile' of the butt stock, so we can see profile of the comb and the wrist area.

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2011, 09:28:45 PM »
brown,

I believe your gun shown is a Belgian, likely Liege built fowling piece.  The carving, engraving, guard, architecture, etc. all suggest this.  I would venture a guess of 1745, give or take 10 years, for a date of construction.  It doesn't appear to have been originally made for military service.  With this being the case I wouldn't refer to it as a musket, but rather a fowling piece.  A cool piece and thanks for sharing it.

Jim Kibler
« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 06:55:11 AM by Jim Kibler »

Offline Bill of the 45th

• Gaylord, Michigan
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2011, 11:48:03 PM »
Welcome to the site, I think Jim's spot on, in that it is a fowler, and not a military musket.  Pictures of proof marks, and the sideplate opposite the lock might help.  The scratched in letters and numbers, may be evidence that it was a Militia piece. as all men of age served in local defense.  Close ups of the thimbles,  and muzzle, plus bore size would also help.

Bill
Bill Knapp
Over the Hill, What Hill, and when did I go over it?

brown10

« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2011, 01:30:34 AM »
Thanks men, here are a few more pictures.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2011, 05:41:31 PM »
Thank you for sharing this amazing piece of history. It reminds me of other fowlers I have seen of Dutch origins. What a great find.  Do you know what type of wood it is made from?? I wonder if it is Beach. 
Dave Blaisdell

Offline Dan'l 1946

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2011, 02:24:38 AM »
It looks like European beech to me. The lock does have a French/Belgian look to it.
                                    Dan

brown10

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2011, 09:51:43 PM »
Thanks for all of the expertise and help. New members are not allowed to sell in the classified section of the forum for 30 days; understandable. Any suggestions on how to get this musket or fowler into the possession of someone who will appreciate it for what it is?

Offline nord

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2011, 11:13:20 PM »
It may be listed in The Gallery if you wish.
In Memory of Lt. Catherine Hauptman Miller 6/1/21 - 10/1/00 & Capt. Raymond A. Miller 12/26/13 - 5/15/03...  They served proudly.

dannybb55

« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2011, 04:43:22 PM »
Now that is a proper butt plate nail!

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2011, 05:47:56 PM »
Good call on beech...see the rays on the front finial of the guard photo. Dutch looking guard. Homemade sideplate.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline debnal

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2011, 01:05:35 AM »
Upon close examination and partial dissassembly of the fowler I can offer the following;
1. The fowler is totally untouched by modern hands. Original flintlock. The forestock has a piece of wood (24 inches) that has been replaced. This repair is not a modern attempt to deceive but rather a neccessary repair. The wood of the stock is beech and the repair wood is cherry. The barrel is round, appears to be Spanish, and is flared at the muzzle.
2. The fowler is very similar to the Dutch hunting gun on page 29 of Tom Grinslade's book on fowlers. Also it is very similar to the fowler on page 38 of the same book.
3. The sideplate looks to be original and is crude compared to the butt plate and trggerguard.
4. There are many handforged nails holding pieces to the stock. They are at the triggerguard, butt plate, escuction, and lock. This would seem to indicate it was in service for a long time and was highly thought of by it's owners.
5. The initials and "76" carved into the butt stock indicte, to me, colonial American useage.
6. The cock is a period replacement, again indicating American useage.
To me, the fowler could be a Dutch import that was heavily used here, possibly in the F&I War or Revolution, or both. The repairs and crude replaed side plate and hammer plus the initials indicsate that to me. It possibly could have been stocked here but I am leaning towards an imported gun.
Al