Author Topic: Bedford rifle  (Read 5295 times)

hillbilly

Bedford rifle
« on: February 13, 2010, 04:24:01 AM »
my dad has an original bedford rifle that has been handed down through my family. The lock is stamped with the date 1796 and the initials SDR. Does anyone have any ideas as to who the maker could be? Any help would be appreciated.

Offline Hurricane ( of Virginia)

• Library_mod
Re: Bedford rifle
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2010, 05:09:44 AM »
Pictures will help. Lock names rarely indicate gunsmith, but many Bedford makers made and signed their own locks.
If you send me pictures, I will post them
Hurricane
(fgarner@verizon.net)
« Last Edit: February 13, 2010, 05:12:01 AM by hurricane »

jesnive

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2010, 04:06:09 PM »
OUR LOCAL HISTORICAL SOCIETY HAS A DOUBLE BARELL 16GA SHOTGUN MARKED VALENTINE FELTUS CLOUSE THAT A VISITOR FROM BEDFORD CO. IDENTIFIED AN PART OF HIS FAMILY OF GUN MAKERS?? THE GUN IS AN OVER/UNDER WITH A .45 CAL UNDER THE 16 GA AND MARKED 1882.  ANY SUGGESTIONS ON WHO WHAT WHERE??

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2010, 04:43:51 PM »
A photo or two would be very helpful.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

hillbilly

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2010, 02:59:48 AM »
I will be at my dad's place sometime through the spring. I'll get some pictures then. He lives in Somerset Co. Near as I can tell the stock, lock and patchbox all appear to be Bedford style. This is a very plain "barn gun".  It has been handed down through my family for many generations. The story that goes with it says that it was originally a flintlock but was converted to a caplock not to long after they came out.  I'll get some pictures as soon as I can.

hillbilly

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2010, 03:52:16 AM »
Also, the gun is a .38 caliber. and we have the original bullet mold with it.  It was handed down from ancestors that came to Somerset Co. in the mid 1790's.  They came from Montgomery Co. Pa. So it is possible that is was brought from there.

hillbilly

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2010, 05:14:39 AM »
My dad has the gun and lives near Somerset. I grew up there but currently live in ohio. I'll be able to get some pictures and post them around easter.

Offline JTR

• member 2
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2010, 08:14:48 AM »
Easter isn't that far off, and I'd really like to see some pictures of the gun, barn gun or not.
A really early Bedford would be a treat!
John 
John Robbins