Author Topic: KNOB MOUNTAIN  (Read 3454 times)

George F.

KNOB MOUNTAIN
« on: August 25, 2008, 12:16:16 AM »
I just got back from picking up a few blanks from Dave Keck of KNOB MOUNTAIN. I met Dave at DIXON'S  GUNMAKERS FAIR and decided to have him do the barrel inletting for me. I gave him 6 blanks and 6 barrels, and I am more than pleased with the workmanship. Of course he gave me a tour of his shop that he mans almost entirely by himself. Took me in the back where he starts his lost wax investment castings, explaining the process step by step.  Taking the wax forms and starts making"trees" .Then it was to the hot area where he  places these in a casting form and then places these in his kiln. After that he fills the cavity with with some sort of silica investment that slightly coats the void left from the melted wax . Then to the kiln to bake it. After it has cured, its to the vacuum  bench where he places the forms and pores the molten metal. His castings are great. He's trying to come up with a much larger  selection of his castings in butt plates and trigger guards. He also does stock shaping to a particular maker. I will say this besides his quality work... he does enjoy taking the time and talking about what ever. A most enjoyable day at traveling to KNOB MOUNTAIN.    ....Geo.

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
Re: KNOB MOUNTAIN
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2008, 03:40:56 AM »
I also met Dave for the first time at Dixon's and very much enjoyed our chats.  He's a great guy and offers some excellent furniture.  I just used a set of his ram rod pipes and don't know if I'll ever use anything else.  After I get a couple more projects finished, I think I'll be reaching out for him to inlet a couple barrels.
Ed Wenger

Offline Larry Luck

• Administrator
  • Larry Luck
Re: KNOB MOUNTAIN
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2008, 03:43:30 AM »
George,
Thanks for the information.  Six inlet blanks - hope to see LOTS of pictures.
Larry Luck