Author Topic: Making a Frizzen Spring  (Read 14841 times)

Offline James Wilson Everett

Making a Frizzen Spring
« on: March 25, 2013, 12:53:12 AM »
This process starts with 1095 spring steel, 1/4 inch thick.  The first three photos show the rough blank and the semi-finished blank with the screw hole drilled (in this case for a 0.173 dia screw), the decorative end tab, and the pivot pin.  This work was done with hacksaw/files, but forging could also be used.  At this step the rough blank is slightly tapered and a good bit longer than the anticipated final spring length.

[URL=http://s1137.photobucket.com/user/JamesEverett/media/In%20Process/100_5936_zpseeb7f94d.jpg.html]

[URL=http://s1137.photobucket.com/user/JamesEverett/media/In%20Process/100_5937_zpsa3c12c27.jpg.html]

Now the spring is installed on the lock plate (before bending)  Use a long screw from the lockplate backside to locate the position for drilling the spring pivot hole.  When finished, the straight spring sticks way out beyond the lock plate.

Now make the hot bend with a generous radius that fits artistically with the lockplate nose.  Now is the time to trim the length of the spring back to the proper length.  Notice that the spring appears to be way too thick, and there would be required a slight compression of the spring to install the screw.

After this, taper the spring to near the final dimensions and add the decorative edge bevels.  Heat treat the spring - I use a bright cherry red brine quench followed by a temper at 810F.

Now is the time to adjust the final spring tension on the frizzen by polishing/tapering/thinning the spring or by reducing the cam toe on the frizzen.  Do this gradually as you can easily reduce the spring tension, but putting it back is another story.

The final step is to round/bevel the lockplate to make it pretty, usually the bevel will stop at the frizzen spring, depending on the artist.  Here is the final lock.

As a final note, the sear spring is done the same way, that is bending after the initial fitting and later cut to length.

« Last Edit: November 27, 2019, 04:04:48 PM by James Wilson Everett »

Offline smart dog

• Global Moderator
Re: Making a Frizzen Spring
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2013, 06:57:05 PM »
Hi James,
Nice post.  Thanks for taking the time to post your methods.  I make mine a little differently.  Instead of cutting and filing out the finial from solid stock, I cut out my spring from thinner flat spring stock with a wider tab at the end for the finial.  I then cut across that tab with a saw from both sides until there is only a small neck left just a bit to one side of the middle connecting it to the spring.  I heat it red and twist the tab at the neck perpendicular to the leaves of the spring.  The tab forms the base of the finial upon which I weld metal to build up a blob of the size I require for the screw hole and finial.  I then file the inner edge of  the spring flush with the bottom of the tab leaving metal to form the peg, shape the rest of the spring and finial, and heat treat. 

dave
"The main accomplishment of modern economics is to make astrology look good."

Offline Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
Re: Making a Frizzen Spring
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2013, 09:57:29 PM »
Using the stud to mark the drill hole location works well for an already bent spring too.   A spring with a tighter bend radius might be something to consider.  Check out all the Germainic locks you can and see what was typical.