Author Topic: Original Fowler details  (Read 15164 times)

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: Original Fowler details
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2008, 03:31:53 PM »
The barrel does have the maker's mark.

Ivan someone, but I cant make out the first letter of his name. Tried looking up a few guesses but didn't find him IVAN ?THAR(B?)A
I'm really not up on my Spanish barrel makers of the 18th century, but the Spanish barrel Feltwad posted looks like "IVAN IBARA" "Ibara" is most likely a location, not a last name of the maker. Of course there is the possibility I have no clue what I'm talking about.
 Many times the Spanish Barrels on English guns are far earlier than the gun. I had a Durrs Egg that was a 1780's gun with a Spanish barrel clearly dated with silver inlay "1752". It was a pretty nifty barrel, 14 bore and straight rifled. (for use with shot, something like 16 or 17 micro grooves.)
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2008, 04:40:20 PM »
You know, there are a LOT of guns with fake Spanish or Italian barrels.  It was the fashion of the day, and if you couldn't afford a fine, imported Spanish barrel, you faked one!
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Offline TPH

« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2008, 05:56:10 PM »
Yes - The barrel makers mark - the rest of the gun?.......................Lynn

The maker's mark on the barrel can be the gunmaker's mark and I believe it is in this case. I am looking at a picture of a James Barber fowling gun with a Spanish barrel made by Esquibel and James Barber's maker's mark "IB" is on the barrel along with all the other Spanish marks and proof and view marks.  The gun was made about 1740.

I think that the mark visible on the top of the barrel is usually the gunmaker's name. Check the bottom of the barrel, English barrel makers placed their names there.
T.P. Hern

Offline Feltwad

« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2008, 08:57:24 PM »
The image of a Spanish barrel that I posted from a gun in my collection is by  JVAN IHA RA of Madrid .It is an early type of damascus barrel,the marks from the top are as follows
Madrid cross,next the three fleurs de lys these are featured on all Spanish barrels along with the makers mark ,Next the name, bottom is the makers mark which is an eagle or a stork most likely the  latter on a hoop
Feltwad
« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 09:04:28 PM by Feltwad »

Robin Hewitt

« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2008, 09:17:34 PM »
The image of a Spanish barrel that I posted from a gun in my collection is by  JVAN IHA RA of Madrid

Not in Stockel, that's unusual  ;D