Author Topic: Ward E.P. (WV) 100210-1  (Read 9958 times)

Offline nord

Ward E.P. (WV) 100210-1
« on: February 22, 2010, 05:07:34 PM »
HAMPSHIRE CO  WV  RIFLE - Signed in script...  "E. P. Ward"

Evan P. Ward  BORN 1827  DIED FEB. 1865 CSA.   HIS FATHER (Simon Ward) ALSO A GUNSMITH IN HAMPSHIRE CO.

SOME RESTORATION WORK DONE.

Comments:

Compare this to the Oates and Kline in the Museum. Almost identical patchbox finials and the seeming unique characteristic of a second "cap" box under the cheek wrest. Is it possible that gunsmith traded or sold or copied  patchboxes, i.e. were there brass crafts persons??.  Are Hampshire Co smiths the only one who usually used a second  cap box??
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a classic Hampshire County, WVA gun with better than the usual engraving and execution. As Hurricane has pointed out, there seems to have been a standard style used in that school, and to the list of participating makers, I would add Rinehart, and one of the Sheets family, to the list.
As to the cheek side box, this seem to have been used almost exclusively in that region. Once in a great while, a rifle not made there, will show up with a similar box, but I have seen one or two, and they were likely Ohio guns, perhaps made on the River and influenced by WVA work. As XXXX has commented, more photos would be of great benefit. Since restoration has been mentioned regarding this gun, it should be identified.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

More photos are always better, but the gun has nice quality, original mounts that are representative of West Virginia guns. Even if the gun is refinished, and we don't get more photos, I'd stick it in the museum.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2020, 03:11:58 PM by Tim Crosby »
In Memory of Lt. Catherine Hauptman Miller 6/1/21 - 10/1/00 & Capt. Raymond A. Miller 12/26/13 - 5/15/03...  They served proudly.