Author Topic: Help Identifying This Halfstock  (Read 4032 times)

Will

Help Identifying This Halfstock
« on: February 26, 2010, 10:08:17 PM »
I have a friend's halfstock precussion in the shop for a tune-up. Unmarked except for the lock plate and it's pitted in the marked area. Has a two line marking......top line............R W???; bottom line looks like Cin?? ??io.  Very plain rifle....38 1/2" oct bl......15/16' tapered to 7/8"..........approx. .38 cal.......dst.....forged iron trigger guard.....made without buttplate..........walnut half-stock...........wood under-rib...........
Thanks ....Will

Offline Roger Fisher

Re: Help Identifying This Halfstock
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 10:24:01 PM »
Interesting but more so if you get some photos posted.   One picture is worth a thousand words.. ;D

Will

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2010, 12:05:50 AM »
I'll try to get some pictures posted. Meanwhile, can anyone shead some light on the lock markings? Thanks.............Will

GrampaJack

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2010, 01:13:20 AM »
How about Cincinnati? Lots of Ohio rifles have this on the lock. Best Regards, Jack

Will

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2010, 01:22:24 AM »
It looks like Cincinnati Ohio would fit with what's there; what would be the last name of the R W marking?

scooter

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2010, 04:49:13 AM »
Among others in Cincinnati, Davidson Hardware sold locks by the gross BUT that certainly does NOT mean that the gun was made in Ohio. Look at a map and see where Cincinnati is located. They sold a lot more, say, in Kentucky than in Cleveland! And the name on the lock in 99.999% of cases has absolutely nothing to do with who made the gun. As noted before, what you posted does no one a bit of good. If there is any chance at all -- and that is VERY slim in case of unsigned half-stocks--it will come from photos.

Dave K

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2010, 05:07:01 AM »
I believe you are very correct. I have  M. Sheets  that has a Davidson lock on it from Cinn.

Offline Curt J

• member 2
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2010, 10:38:47 PM »
How about "R. W. BOOTH"?  This was a hardware company in Cincinnatti from before 1850 until about 1875.  I have seen locks so marked on a number of rifles over the years, in fact I've owned one. They supplied locks that were used by gunsmiths all across the Midwest.