Author Topic: powder magazine  (Read 12661 times)

ERH

Re: powder magazine
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2010, 03:03:15 PM »
I think the best is in a home safe they are not that expensive and have heat rating so they don't get that hot inside in a fire. If they can keep papers from burning I don't think powder will blow up and second it keeps kids out.  Just my opinion.

Hawkeye

« Reply #26 on: March 04, 2010, 04:56:37 AM »
I've got a buddy who stores his in the garage in an old freezer with a locking door for security to keep prying fingers out. Seems like a good way to recycle an old freezer.

Daryl

« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2010, 07:21:33 PM »
Hawkeye - good idea - locking freezer - lets see, a 22 cu. foot freezer should hold about 24 boxes of powder = 600 pounds - enough for a couple years.  probably get a discount, buying that much.

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2010, 11:05:17 PM »
Probably launch his house into orbit toooooooooo... :o :o
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

The other DWS

« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2010, 11:35:06 PM »
Talk about living dangerously, back in the very late 70's I was the sponsor/manager/and participant for an annual Rev/F&I war event.  We supplied a can of powder for each armed participant and a whole bunch for each cannon.

for 5 years I wound up hauling as much as 500 pounds /event  of 2 and 3 F BP  from Pa Keeler's shop across MI on I-94, in the back of my hatchback Pinto :o   that was before we knew they were so dangerous.

Offline Bill of the 45th

• Gaylord, Michigan
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2010, 01:58:13 AM »
Remember, as a general point BP blows up, when on a hard surface, so the basement is the worst place to store it.  When i get down to about five pounds I give Powder Inc. a call.  So on ant given day I could have as much as 30 pounds in it.  What I store mine in is a dead apartment/ dorm fridge that I have stripped out, and put a hasp, and lock on.  I've tipped it on it's back, and store it in the corner of my building shed, away from the house, so the blast will be mostly upward.

Bill
Bill Knapp
Over the Hill, What Hill, and when did I go over it?

Daryl

« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2010, 02:50:14 AM »
Good idea, Bill.  A guy I worked for back in the 70's, was caught with 300 pounds of black powder in his store in the middle of Vancouver. He then stored it in his Toyoto pickup w/canopy, of course and drove for 2 hours to work & home on the busiest freeway in the lower mainland of British Columbia.  There are at least 3 rear-enders on that freeway, every day.  I can say that, can't I - rear-enders? :D

Online James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2010, 02:55:04 AM »
  I can say that, can't I  :D

Context is everything  ;D

My friend has an old refrigerator at the outhouse  for storage.
I really like the dorm refrigerator idea. Going to keep my eye out.

Birddog6

« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2010, 02:07:59 PM »
An old aluminum cooler makes a good magazine, just put a latch on it so you can lock it. Also a used tiny refrigerator like you put under a wet bar would work well.
I use a old ice box out of a old caboose I renovated for a guy to make a hunting lodge years ago. The magazine is made from the icebox, double walled & vented in the bottom (was the drain), has just a rubber gasket for a seal at the top.  And it is on rollers so you could roll it right out the door if necessary. I put hardboard dividers in it so I can separate the grades, then lay a piece of hardboard down in the ledges & I can add another row of cans.

I know a guy that made one similar using this for a pattern, as a friend of his makes duct work for heating/air systems. They made two boxes, the smaller one to fit inside the other, shot the bottom of the larger box full of liquid foam, set the smaller box in on the foam,  then shot the sides full of foam & then put the top edging on. Filled the 2 piece lid with foam & hinged it & added a hasp. I can't remember if his has a vent or not but the foam seal around the lid is just soft foam weather stripping like you put around a door to keep winter drafts out, & would easily vent the container.  He made his a tad smaller as mine is larger than necessary, but mine was free & all made except the rollers on the base & the hasp. I keep it in a insulated storage shed.    Were I to make one, I would make it just large enough that a 25" case they ship powder in would just fit in the box with room to get your hands in there & lift the lid off.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 02:14:51 PM by Birddog6 »