Author Topic: smoothbore 20 ga.  (Read 8683 times)

Offline Pat_Cameron

smoothbore 20 ga.
« on: August 26, 2008, 12:30:07 PM »
I clipped this photo from a thread on a board last year because
I really liked the stock.  I have since forgotten exactly where I got the photo from.
Can somebody identify the school that this shotgun came from.

Thanks
PJC

AMERICAN LONGHUNTER
Seasoned woodsmen that depend on skill and knowledge to lead them to a successful hunt rather than the crutch of modern technology

http://www.americanlonghunter.com

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
Re: smoothbore 20 ga.
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008, 01:12:49 PM »
    The muzzleloader pictured appears to be a left handed rifle.  It is built with rifle hardware not fowler hardware.  The gun has sights, and was finished without a patch box.   The top and bottom lines of the stock are straight.  this pretty much rules out most guns of the Lehigh Valley, Bucks Co & Reading areas. 
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

George F.

« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2008, 03:00:05 PM »
It looks like a Beck's profile, but I'm no expert.....Geo.

don getz

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2008, 09:51:21 PM »
Aha...finally got you guys.   That is what you would call a "deluxe" barn gun....it has a butt plate, side plate, etc......and
is one that I made for a friend just before Christmas last year.   It was made from kind of a generic lancaster pattern
with a full octagon swamped 16 ga. barrel.  If you could see the whole photo, there is a nice gobbler laying on the ground
in front of my friend.   Anything else you want to know about it?     Don

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2008, 10:56:26 PM »
When is a barn gun not a barn gun?
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2008, 10:57:01 PM »
......when it has a buttplate and a side plate.

;D

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2008, 11:00:14 PM »
Also if it has a buttplate but not a sideplate, or a sideplate but not a buttplate, or if the sideplate is no more than a washer and the buttplate is no more than a strip of sheet metal, and it doesn't have the full complement of ramrod thimbles, then it may be considered a barn gun.   ???But most of all, if found in a barn, it is a barn gun.  ;D

On the other hand, if the maker says it is a barn gun, it's a barn gun, especially if he makes it in a week or so. :)
« Last Edit: August 26, 2008, 11:01:58 PM by richpierce »
Andover, Vermont

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2008, 11:18:36 PM »
Rich, to be accurate in your description, I think it has to be made in three days or less. That was how a true barn gun was described to me by by an old and knowledgeable and crafty, and sometimes crusty, gentleman. I am sure when he getz done with his next one, he will post some pictures.

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2008, 11:24:17 PM »
.........but he did say "deluxe". ;D

Tim C.

northmn

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2008, 12:20:54 AM »
After seconds of agonizing soul searching (maybe 2 or 3) I ahve to agree that it is a deluxe barn gun built in the Getz shcool.  I love it. Its fun to do your own thing like that without regard to the nitpicking worries of recreation.  And to see it get appreciated for what it is, a nice looking gun, really warms me up.  I have gotten to where building in that manner is more fun due to grey hair and a changing attitute and outlook on things.  I am surprised Don has developed that attitude so early in life.

DP

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2008, 12:40:05 AM »
If ears could actually burn, we'd have to call 911 on this blaze.  ::)

don getz

« Reply #11 on: August 27, 2008, 02:51:27 AM »
Rich....what did you say?  or I could have said "now that's funny".  By the way, where were you, thought you were coming to the CLA show?    Don

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2008, 03:03:55 AM »
When is a barn gun not a barn gun?

I'd say when it is too fancy for plain people ;D

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2008, 04:47:52 AM »
Rich....what did you say?  or I could have said "now that's funny".  By the way, where were you, thought you were coming to the CLA show?    Don
Yeah, sorry I missed all you guys.  I was up on my roof, fixing it.  I hear my wife ordered a piece of iron and you guys have been dragging it around.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Pat_Cameron

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2008, 08:12:52 AM »
I thought there was some lancaster in it but I didn't want to make such a claim.
Too bad, it would have been one of those times when you can fool all of the people some of the time.
at least for a brief moment. I missed my chance.
I am glad it turned out to be something not so simple though.

I did not want to go pasting pictures of people without their permission so I clipped it a little bit.
Don is right. There is a real nice tom laying just below the shotgun.

I am not a shotgun guy. I have an Ithica model 37 deluxe that I paid $200.00 new in the box.
The price should tell you how long I have had it. I have fired two shots out of it.
I just got it because I thought I should have one around.
The only reason I fired the two shots was because I had a big pheasant in the back yard and decided to help him jump in my freezer. Yes I missed once, but he did taste good.

I am getting the urge to do some turkey hunting in the future and every time I look at this
picture I keep thinking this is the way a shotgun should be built.
Great Job Don.

I was looking for a piece to help solve this puzzle. I did not expect to find the whole
puzzle, box and all. When it comes time to start this build I will send you a note Don for
a few more details.

Thanks
PJC
AMERICAN LONGHUNTER
Seasoned woodsmen that depend on skill and knowledge to lead them to a successful hunt rather than the crutch of modern technology

http://www.americanlonghunter.com