Author Topic: first build  (Read 6731 times)

Offline KNeilson

first build
« on: March 06, 2010, 04:50:54 AM »
Gents, here is my first build, just finished. I was late finding this resource (ALR forum), but would like to thank those that helped me with a few newbie problems. This is a great site, looking forwards to #2 ...  :) Kerry
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 04:53:25 AM by KNeilson »

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
Re: first build
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2010, 05:32:24 AM »
It looks awful nice for a first gun..... you better show us some more pictures.........
I like what you did with the wood and the barrel!! It makes me want to see more,

You are hooked now, ya know........betcha can't stop with two!!
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

willy

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2010, 06:36:08 AM »
DETAILS DETAILS!
MORE PICTURES!
Looks real good.
What cal.
Barrel length?
Lock?
Where the parts come from?
Did I mention -MORE PICTURES?

Offline KNeilson

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2010, 07:14:43 AM »
Thx guys, I got timed out trying to post more pics here (puters @ work)...  As far as particulars... I got a pre-carve from Dunlap woodcrafts, 54 cal swamped "c" barrel 38" long. Siler lock, Bivins bronze furniture. Curly maple stock, not sure about length of pull, 1/2 in cast off. I made the patchbox from scrap, also the vent liner and rear sight. Stock is stained with homebrew Aqua Fortis, so far 4 coats tung oil/walnut stain mix to darken and preserve and one rubbing with a paste varnish. I think I coulda put a bit more on(stain/oil) and may still do so. I tuned the lock for a better trigger feel, aged with BC super blue/bleach etch. Polished and heat blued all the lock and wood screws. I am not comfortable yet with my carving so I put a little brass wire around the patchbox and behind cheekpiece. I did most of this with little or no research or images to copy and since Ive found ALR I am realizing some of my errors (as far as traditional design goes) The purpose of this build was to create a "working" gun that is not meant to represent anything, but educate me on how they are constructed and fine tuned. I`m taking it out Sun to test and set sights, I`ll fill ya in on how it went......  :) ...Kerry  
You are hooked now, ya know........betcha can't stop with two!!
Dr TimBoone, I believe your right!!  anyways, I was in a rush this AM,some of the pics could be better, when I have more time...

« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 08:11:10 AM by KNeilson »

Offline George Sutton

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2010, 05:44:27 PM »
Congratulations, very nice job!!!

Centershot

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2010, 05:57:42 PM »
It was worth the wait for the pics Kerry!  Thanks.  Looks like you are off to a great start. I look forward to seeing the next ones. 
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline Dave B

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2010, 06:02:49 PM »
That is one nice first build. Your patch box and wire work  looks great. The inletting looks to be well done as well. You have come far grasshopper.  You do know as mentioned that you will be starting to itch to make your 2nd build.
you may also start to pickup small its and bits as you go for that possible pistol project. God help you if you ever make it to one of the Gunmakers fairs and there is a box of misc. parts. I could open up my own parts supply from all my oooh I better get this for later purchases. Welcome to the brother hood.
Dave Blaisdell

omark

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2010, 06:42:10 PM »
my first build lives hidden in my closet, the second was even worse. then they started getting better. this one of yours is certainly no closet queen, very nice.    8)  mark

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2010, 07:08:34 PM »
Beats mine for certain ::)

Shootem all summer - build 'em all winter keeps an ol man out of trouble (usually)

Offline Brian Jordan

• Pennsylvania
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2010, 08:20:36 PM »
Man! That is your first build! Very fine job! I hope my first build turns out that well....if I ever get to that project ;D
Elizabeth, PA

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms"...Thomas Jefferson

Let's Go Brandon!

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2010, 03:29:41 AM »
Looks like a fine first effort.  You workmanship looks excellent. 

I gather from your comments that you already know some design features that you'll do differently the next time.  It's good to be your own worst critic.

If you want to be traditional, study and emulate the originals, and cut out the middle man.

Started that second one yet?

Jeff
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Offline KNeilson

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2010, 09:24:54 AM »
Thx gents, I appreciate your input. I`m chuckling at how similar some of my thoughts are to some of your comments. I`m already looking at some of my scrap steel with a different eye, like, hey that would work for a pistol barrel, or when walking the pooch I`m seeing stocks in the branches of knotty old trees.. # 2 will be on the way soon I`m sure.. Shot it for the first time this am, @ 50 yds it was an inch right and 6-8 low...

filed .040 of the front sight and raised the point of impact a bit, going to bump the front sight over a bit next.........Thx again..........  :) Kerry

exTNer

« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2010, 05:29:50 PM »
Well, I'm just hoping my 'next' build turns out that well.  Definately no shame in carrying that through the woods or at the range, and those groups are 'minute of deer'!  LIttle more load developement may even tighten 'em up, a little, but certainly usable already.  Nice work!

Offline KNeilson

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2010, 05:41:31 AM »
exTNer, thx,
LIttle more load developement may even tighten 'em up,
I agree,  all those targets were shot with a .530 ball with .020 denim patching  60gr 2F @ 50 Yds. I was a little excited(understatement) the first day out and was happy just being able to hit the paper. The next time I will be a little more scientific, I plan to try the sight movement to get it hitting center and then patch and load developement in increments to see what "works" the best for groups. ...  :) Kerry