Author Topic: Sideplate  (Read 7861 times)

Cody Tetachuk

Sideplate
« on: June 19, 2008, 05:25:50 AM »
So, awhile back I had a bit of time so I cut out the side plate for my lehigh. I knew before making it that I had screwed up by shaping the rear part of the side panel. The sideplate comes precariously close to the edge of the panel in a few spots, particularily above the screw. This will make it difficult to inlet as the side of the panel may want to break out. Just have to go slow. Should have made and inlet the plate first, then brought the panel down to size. Oh well, always up for a challenge :).  Anyway, this is it, held in place by the screw along with a picture of what it is to look like. Comments welcome, smartass or otherwise.

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
Re: Sideplate
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2008, 06:08:58 AM »
Well, Xxxxxx, it ain't inlet yet. you can make the inlay smaller anywhere you want, just change the art a bit.

Also it's entirely practical to inlay it where it is, the way it is.

It wouldn't bother me a nit if the inlay was close to the edge.

Must be raining if you're getting out the gun........

Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2008, 06:14:13 AM »
Cody,
 The plate looks great. I think your ok if you just reduce the head of the screw just alittle (if its not counter sunk into the plate as of yet)and the plate just a little, it will drop in with out a lick of trouble. I have seen some original plates that were visible through the top lock panel. Its rare but I have seen it. Yours will be fine.
It seems to me that they old timers did very much the same. You ever wonder what the side plate is doing so close to the edge of the lock panel. Those lock bolts look like the heads are a bit too high and should be trimmed down a bit ;D ;D ;D
Dave Blaisdell

Cody Tetachuk

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2008, 06:23:05 AM »
I will be reducing the screw head diameter a bit to allow for more 'flower' around it but the plate will stay as is. You can see in the drawing, the plate is just as close to the edge as planned, I just would have felt better inlaying it prior to bringing the panel down so close. You think I should shorten the screw heads??? gee, I was going to leave them as they are and knurl them so they can be removed and installed without a turnscrew ;D

Offline E.vonAschwege

• Global Moderator
    • von Aschwege Flintlocks
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2008, 07:46:46 PM »
I think it looks great Cody!  Like Tom said, you COULD slim down the sideplate in some areas to make it fit better and make it easier to inlet, but I'd just go for it (slowly).  You often see originals with sideplates reeeeeally close to the edge of the lock panels, they look good that way.  Have fun inletting!
-Eric
Former Gunsmith, Colonial Williamsburg www.vonaschwegeflintlocks.com

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2008, 09:15:01 PM »
Smartass:   Forget the knurling....make it a wingnut...its easier on your fingers.  ::)
Otherwise:  I think it will look terrific and I am glad it is you inletting the bottom of that shell pattern and not me...... sharp tools, sharp tools!!  ;D ;D
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2008, 06:45:10 PM »
Well Cody.  here's my first post in the new format.  I'm delighted to see you working on the rifle again.  I don't see a problem with the inlet, but if it makes you feel a little less squeemish, I'd reduce the silver a few thou in the danger areas.  It won't take away from the design, which carries itself.  The sidepate on my Kuntz didn't end up where I had planned either.  I hope some summer to be able to fondle that rifle at Heffley, with a cold Bacody in the other hand.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Cody Tetachuk

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2008, 06:36:28 PM »
There's no need to reduce the sideplate. It fits exactly as I intended (see drawing). My design in the drawing showed that it would be this close to the edge and I could have reduced it at that time but I don't believe in altering a design just to make it easier. Perhaps this is why I screw things up so often ;D. It would have been easier to inlet had I done that before bringing the panel to shape. I build so seldom that i often forget to plan ahead properly and end up thinking 'Oh yeah, I should have done that first :-\'.

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2008, 11:10:17 PM »
Cody,

I suffer from those same issues.  Too much time between the last project and the current one can lead to repeating those errors about which you said, "I'll know better next time..."

Looks good though, I'm sure you'll get it in there OK.
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Online Jim Kibler

• Personal Website
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2008, 01:31:31 AM »
Looks just fine to me.  Think you will probably reduce the risk of chipping and splitting if you cut out some of the inlet with a small gouge prior to stabbing in the outline.  I've gotten in the habbit of outlining my inlets with a veiner prior to stabbing in as of late.  Takes just a couple of minutes and seems to work well. 

Offline B Shipman

• W.G. Shipman Gunmaker
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2008, 06:54:51 AM »
I agree with the above suggestions. Reduce the bolt a little, fix inlay to match and bring the panel right to the edge of it AFTER it's inlet.