Author Topic: First Build - Chambers Mark Silver Gun  (Read 11561 times)

Buffler Razz

First Build - Chambers Mark Silver Gun
« on: August 27, 2008, 08:53:18 PM »
Well, I finally got my Mark Silver Virginia Rifle from Jim Chambers done.

There were some very anxious moments as I stood before the gun, drill in hand, finger poised on the trigger telling myself" Ronnie, don't screw it up. If you miss drill that hole the new stock is gonna cost you $$$ and time!". Then I remembered the viedo a friend lent me. Hershel House drilling away with an old electric hand drill and I said if he can do it, so can I. (Who cares if he's built hundreds of guns and this is my first)

All in all, it came out way better than I had hoped for. There are a few flaws and mistakes, but I can certainly live with them since they are mine. She was made to be a shooter and hopefully will make meat this fall. I plan to start shooting her this weekend.

All of the info, pictures and advise here was a real help. Jim Chambers and Barbie were great to deal with and pleasantly answered all of my calls and questions, THANKS!
Razz

Now that I have the bug, I need to figure out what to build next!
Razz

Offline TPH

Re: First Build - Chambers Mark Silver Gun
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2008, 09:02:27 PM »
Congratulations, you did very well! That is your first build? You have a lot to be proud of, the color is great.
T.P. Hern

ironwolf

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2008, 09:23:00 PM »
  Nice work Ron.  Now go burn some powder and find out what the fever is really about.

KW

Dave Marsh

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2008, 10:46:25 PM »
Nice job.  If I ever get around to my first build I hope it comes out that nice.  Can you detail the finish as to what you used for stain, number of coats and the final finish.  Thanks.

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2008, 11:01:55 PM »
Very cool.  The lines, fit and finish look great!  Unfortunately, now just when you thought you had gunbuilding out of your system, you'll miss it, and be craving more gun parts for your next build.
Andover, Vermont

Buffler Razz

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2008, 11:45:51 PM »
Thanks All!

Dave:
On the wood I ran a number of combinations on a test board ( Aqua Fortis, LMF and home brewed vinegar w/iron; topped each of these off with Chambers Oil, Tung Oil & Linseed oil mixed with thinner)  and settled on Laurel Mountain Forge Nut Brown stain with Tung Oil over that. I'm partial to Tung Oil, have been using it on my selfbows and like the warmth it gives the wood. I gave it one good coat Of LMF and a second real light wipe over later that day. I let it dry for 3 days and then applied 4 coats of Formbys Tung Oil; 1 coat per day. Now the scary part..I sprayed the whole stock with Rustoleum Flat Black spray paint (ala Mike Brooks) it came out looking like those modern abominations people are buying. Let that dry and rubbed it out with OOOO steel wool. On top of that went 6 more coats of hand rubbed Tung Oil and 1 coat of Johnsons Paste Furniture wax. The paint really brought out an aged look to the edges and corners.

On the barrel and lock I applied LMF browning, twice a day for 2 days and once on the 3rd day. Did not card it off between applications. MOst times it hung in the basement, but it also spent about 2 hours after each LMF application in our bathroom "humidor" after running the shower. Then I rubbed out the browning with coarse steel wool and gave it an application of BirchWood Casey Cold Blue. This was slightly rubbed out with OOOO steel wolld, oiled heavily and left overnight and then wiped off. The end result is the aged look I had hoped for.

Rich: Thanks. Your help and carving tips really eased my anxiety. Given enough years and many more mistakes I hope to get it as easy as you make it all seem. Thanks again!

Razz
« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 12:32:35 AM by Buffler Razz »

Offline gibster

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2008, 01:59:30 AM »
Looks to me like you have a rifle to be proud of.  Great color and a nice aged look to the metal and wood.  Let us know how it shoots.
Gibster

Offline Ed Wenger

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2008, 04:06:08 AM »
Razz...

Very nice job!  I think you did very well with the finish, both wood and metal.  The Silver componet set is a great one and an excellent choice for your first build.  What caliber?  With the skill level you show, I'd definitely push a little more with your next build in regards to moldings and carving.  Again, great job and thanks for the pics!
Ed Wenger

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2008, 04:19:51 AM »
Fine looking smokepole  :P- just one thing --- I think the deer will be safe this season with that wooden flint in the jaws ???. Just kidding - nice rifle  ;D!
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2008, 04:25:57 AM »
Great looking rifle.  Very clean fit and finish and well done.  First rifle?  I wish my first had been half that.  Thanks for posting the pics.   What's next?
Ken
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

Offline Brian Jordan

• Pennsylvania
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2008, 01:33:43 PM »
Hey this rifle looks familiar ;) Again great job on the rifle you would never know it was your first build.
Elizabeth, PA

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms"...Thomas Jefferson

Let's Go Brandon!

Buffler Razz

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2008, 02:38:30 PM »
just one thing --- I think the deer will be safe this season with that wooden flint in the jaws ???.

I thought that "rock maple" would work, maybe I should try some ironwood? ;D
What's next?

I'm not sure. Was thinking about a fowler for turkey hunting, but I really like those E Tenn rifles on your site. I recall the first pics I saw of Big Nose Kate that got me going. Those guns just say shoot me, shoot me. The scary part is those looonnnng tangs. ???

Dave Marsh

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2008, 03:04:21 PM »
Razz, thanks for the information on the finish.  That is scary with the spray paint but she came out beautiful.  Thanks again for the pictures and do let us know how she shoot.

Dave