Author Topic: Gillespie Rifle  (Read 9000 times)

Sam Everly

Gillespie Rifle
« on: August 27, 2008, 10:59:09 PM »
This is a Gillespie rifle by Phillip dated 1848.   Sorry for having to post them like this but i can not get them to post more than 1 at a time . i did it every way i could !
« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 11:09:24 PM by Sam Everly »

Sam Everly

Re: Gillespie Rifle
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2008, 11:00:16 PM »

Sam Everly

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2008, 11:01:09 PM »

Sam Everly

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2008, 11:02:12 PM »

Sam Everly

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2008, 11:03:09 PM »

Sam Everly

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2008, 11:04:16 PM »

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2008, 11:05:24 PM »
Looks like a fine lady, all right!  Thanks for sharing.
Andover, Vermont

Sam Everly

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2008, 11:06:06 PM »

Offline Robert Wolfe

• Great X Grandpa
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2008, 11:07:36 PM »
Very nice! Thanks for taking the time to post the pictures.
Robert Wolfe
Northern Indiana

Sam Everly

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2008, 11:40:17 PM »
A little more about the rifle.I restored it in 2006 for the owner . It was broken thru the wrist ( Splintered) between the brass plate and the lock panel . The brass plate is a old repair , the barrel has been cut off 2 1/2 at the breech and  about 3 inches at the muzzle . The front 2 rod pipes have been moved back 2 times . The nose cap was gone and the front rod pipe was also. I replaced a big splice ( it was oak ) under the patch box , and made the toe plate and a new box release where the old rod was lost . I had to remove all the Black paint where some one had refinished it years ago ( Painted it black ) . I put it back dark to keep it close to what it look like color wise, but not the black like the paint . The front sight is a double base sight .       
« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 11:50:40 PM by Sam Everly »

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2008, 03:41:32 AM »
Sam,
Thanks for posting the great pics!  Wonderful rifle.  I love the stamp decorations.  Great job on the repar also. 
Ken
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

Offline gibster

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2008, 06:02:50 AM »
Thanks for sharing the pictures with us.  Very nice job on the restoration.
Gibster

Offline woodsrunner

« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2008, 05:51:54 AM »
Very nice! Thanks for posting the photos. That patchbox is awesome! Do you have any thoughts about it?

Sam Everly

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2008, 06:23:08 AM »
Very few if any other Gillespies have patchboxes. This is fancy for a Gillespie , i think it may have been Phillips own rifle . I have no idea where he came up with this box .

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2008, 05:05:33 PM »
Very nice! Thanks for posting the photos. That patchbox is awesome! Do you have any thoughts about it?
Rich,
Here are my thoughts on this PG rifle. I think it is a good possibility that this rifle was Philips personal rifle. Sam owns the Bowie knife that was sent home from east TN where Philip died during the civil war (he and his brother along with two of their brother-in-laws had joined the Union cavalry). The story goes that The lady that sold the knife also had a rifle that was sold earlier. The father of the current owner of this rifle purchased it in a pawn shop. The general time frame and location of the purchase fits with the ladies story of the rifle sale so it might well be the rifle that came home with the knife. No way to verify that it is.  I have seen only 2 other Philip Gillespie rifles with patch boxes. On one of the patch box was re-used from another rifle, one is very plain and may not have been original to the rifle. This one has stamping that matches stamps that Philip used on many of his rifles. I am sure its original to the rifle.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson