Author Topic: E.TN .40  (Read 14499 times)

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
E.TN .40
« on: August 28, 2008, 03:01:48 AM »
Some of you saw me dragging around a almost finished rifle at the CLA show.  She's Finally finished up.  42", .40 cal "B" weight Rice barrel and of course Chambers Late Ketland lock.
All comments are welcome. 

More Pics http://s7.photobucket.com/albums/y298/Packdog1/EastTN40cal/
« Last Edit: June 16, 2020, 08:21:59 PM by Dennis Glazener »
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

Offline Robert Wolfe

• Great X Grandpa
Re: E.TN .40
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2008, 03:21:35 AM »
Very nice. I don't know much about Tennessee guns but it looks great to me. And a great piece of wood to boot.
Robert Wolfe
Northern Indiana

Buffler Razz

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2008, 03:45:47 AM »
The curl just jumps out, verryyy nice. I may need to learn more about these
Tenn rifles as I really like the iron furniture and muzzle treatment. Thanks for sharing with us.
Razz

nthe10ring

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2008, 03:50:09 AM »
Very nice Ken, and that color is a killer. Love those yellow undertones. I've always liked that mellow old fiddle look on nice curl.

Jerry Fisher

Offline Scott Bumpus

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2008, 03:50:49 AM »
nice!  the beans would be proud.
YOU CAN ONLY BE LOST IF YOU GIVE A @!*% WHERE THE $#*! YOU ARE!!

Offline Carper

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2008, 04:40:47 AM »
I just cant say enough about your latest rifle.  I think it is hands down the closest to being a true E.Tenn of your make that I have had the pleasure to see. All the little things are coming together. I  like your guard, is the rail split down the middle from one piece?  That little bend from the final back to the stock is very difficult to get to a 90 degree angle one that is spread open. Much easier on a three piece guard but what would be the fun in that. You must make a long a box and put it on that gun.!!! I do like how your comb is becoming more pronounced and the wrist shorter. Did you make the buttplate yourself? That is the  rifle of yours that I have been hoping to see.     Johnny

Offline wvmtnman

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2008, 04:48:24 AM »
Great rifle!  Did you make those triggers??  If so, I think a tutorial is in order.  I just got the latest Muzzleloader and in there is a section on making triggers.  However, I would like to see a couple different ways of doing it.
                                                                 Brian

B. Lakatos

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2008, 05:32:06 AM »
Thanks for the kind words guys.  I did make the triggers along with all the hardware except the buttplate.  The buttplate was in a 5 gal bucket along with some cast parts at Friendship.  Funny thing was it cost less than the cast ones.    ??? 
I'll post some in-progress photos on the next set of triggers triggers. I have 2 on the bench I'm working on.  I don't feel comfortable doing a tutorial as I just started this year making them myself. 
Carper, Coming from another diehard Southern builder I really appreciate the encouraging words.  The guard is a 3 piece.  I'm heading to Bookies in a couple of weeks and split rail guard is on the weeks agenda along with rifling a barrel.  I have a special project planned for myself that includes a nice long iron box. 
Thanks again guys,
Ken

Offline woodsrunner

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2008, 05:47:07 AM »
Beautiful! Awesomely Beautiful! Is the wood from Freddie Harrison?

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2008, 05:53:24 AM »
Thanks,  The wood is from Tiger Hunt. 
Ken

Offline gibster

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2008, 05:55:36 AM »
That is a fine rifle.  Thanks for posting the pictures.  I never get tired of looking at those iron mounted rifles.  Great work on the trigger guard.  I'm sure it will be a pleasure to shoot.
Gibster

Scott Brush

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2008, 06:02:02 AM »
That's really pretty Ken.  I love the finish of the wood and metal both, and I too am partial to those crisp combs.  Can we see more pictures?

Thanks for sharing.

Scott

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2008, 06:04:52 AM »
« Last Edit: June 16, 2020, 08:24:54 PM by Dennis Glazener »

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2008, 06:13:41 AM »
Gibster,
Thanks for the compliment.  That was a fine iron mounted rifle you posted a week or so back.  The board seems blessed with Southern Mt. lovers. 
Cheers,
Ken

ironwolf

« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2008, 12:33:32 PM »
  Great job Ken.  I like the side plate on this one.  Your forge work gets better and better.  You gotta tell us the finish process on that awesome piece of wood.  I've gotten of few sticks from Michael, but never anything that fine.  What grade does he call that?
  Keep 'em commin' Lad

Kev

Offline C Wallingford

• Northern Kentucky
    • CW Knives
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2008, 01:09:06 PM »
Looks great, Ken. I love iron mounted rifles and you have done a superb job on this one. The muzzle treatment is a nice touch.

Offline Brian Jordan

• Pennsylvania
« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2008, 01:30:59 PM »
That is a fantastic looking rifle Ken. I have a question, I have noticed this on several different guns. What is the hole in the side of the buttstock for?
Elizabeth, PA

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms"...Thomas Jefferson

Let's Go Brandon!

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #17 on: August 28, 2008, 02:42:13 PM »
Ironwolf, I'm pretty sure it was a AAA+. piece.  I'm glad you ask about the finish.  Every year at Friendship, Jim Klein has been telling me about using Danglers orange stain on a stock first and then staining over the orange.  Well, I finally tried it and I love it.  You'll think you have made the mistake of a lifetime when you are looking a vivid orange piece of wood but it seems to make a difference.  Normal staining after that with Dangler's stain,  The stock is burnished with antler tip and then 8 coats or so of Forneby low gloss tung oil.

Melsdad,
The hole is called a grease hole or tallow hole.  It is filled with grease for patches.  You might even see some with 2 holes.  Some even had a smaller hole for sticking a patched ball in for a quick follow up shot I recon. 

Charles,  I really like doing something on the muzzle.  It the part of the gun you look at every shot. 
« Last Edit: August 28, 2008, 02:43:40 PM by Ken Guy »

Dave Marsh

« Reply #18 on: August 28, 2008, 03:43:11 PM »
Ken, what color stains did you use over the orange??  Thanks.   

eagle24

« Reply #19 on: August 28, 2008, 03:51:31 PM »
Another fine rifle Ken.  Looks great!  The triggers are awesome and important on those rifles IMO.  I been banging around on my rear trigger all week.  I think I'm going to saw off the rear shoe and solder on a new one.  Enjoyed meeting you and seeing the rifle at the show.

C. Cash

« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2008, 04:14:54 PM »
I don't know "Beans" ;) about the fine points of the Tenn. rifle, but it sure looks wonderful to me Ken.

Sean

« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2008, 04:32:38 PM »
Ken,

That's really something.  You keep adding new skills and getting better and better.

Sean

Scott Brush

« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2008, 04:45:42 PM »
Thanks for the link Ken, I guess I missed it on your original post.

My favorite of yours to date!  That's really an attractive gun.

Scott

chuck c.

« Reply #23 on: August 28, 2008, 05:12:51 PM »
Really nice job on the trigger guard and the triggers add so much to the overall looks of the rifle! I'm  about to start another rifle and thanks to you and Ian I can't bring myself to use the old reliable Davis set triggers. The hand made triggers along with the forged hardware really separate y'alls rifles from the run of the mill ones. If you didn't get the hint, please hurry with your tutorial!

Offline Pat_Cameron

« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2008, 05:37:37 PM »
Nice Rifle.
Any self respecting squirrel or raccoon would be proud to stand up infront of this rifle.

PJC
AMERICAN LONGHUNTER
Seasoned woodsmen that depend on skill and knowledge to lead them to a successful hunt rather than the crutch of modern technology

http://www.americanlonghunter.com