Author Topic: E.TN .40  (Read 14498 times)

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
Re: E.TN .40
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2008, 06:47:08 PM »
Thanks Guys!  I really appreciate the kind words. 

After staining the stock orange it was stained with a combination of Danglers Med. Brown and Dark Brown.  Dark going in the areas around the lock panels and other areas that would have less wear. 

I think the triggers really do make a difference and I'm surprised no vendors make a set of Southern triggers.  Greg, making the rear trigger is easy.  I'll try to post a few pics tonight.

Ken
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

jim m

« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2008, 06:50:55 PM »
another great job Ken. 2 questions, the rings on the thimbles are they filed in or raised. and did you make the tang. super job

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2008, 06:55:13 PM »
Jim,
The rings are filed in.  Not raised and I did make the tang from a standard long straight tang.  When you file the round screw boss section it helps to either epoxy or solder an oversized bolt head into the hole.  That gives you a good guide while filing. 
Thanks,
Ken

Online Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2008, 07:26:58 PM »
 That's the same rifle you had at the show? Wow does it look different! I thought it was a good looking rifle then but now...did I saw WOW!
Nice job

Tim C.

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2008, 08:30:22 PM »
Tim, It's the same.  The wood had only been stained and burnished at that point.  No finish.
Ken

timM

« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2008, 03:50:15 AM »
Ken........I would also just like to say what a outstanding rifle!  Thank you for the posting. tim

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2008, 03:52:09 AM »
Tim,
Thanks for your words but I would like to say thanks to you for posting those wonderful pictures of the originals!
Ken

Offline Carper

« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2008, 05:12:54 AM »
I'll bet you find the "split" rail quard a piece of cake to make but harder to get the right lay on the stock.  Rifleing your first barrel is kind of like looking  behing the wizards curtain, but I garantee you will like that barrel better than any other even knowing its warts and all. That buttplate looks like the ones you used to see on Dixies southern rifle, it had no draft.  Again, real nice            Johnny

Offline Collector

« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2008, 01:21:03 AM »
WOW!!  All that and a long iron patchbox... Now THAT'S going to be something to see!!  I'm being drawn to the Iron side...

medbill

« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2008, 04:44:56 PM »
Fantastic work Ken!  Keep it up and thank you for taking the time to post and share your work with us.

Billy

Offline Larry Pletcher

• Black Powder Mag
« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2008, 05:18:13 PM »
Ken,
Great job.  All the really creative comments have been used up, but I like the gun.  The thing that stands out to me is your finish on the wood to bring out the stripe.  I think the guy who applies the stain is more important than the stain used.  My compliments.  Will the gun be at Friendship?  I handled the gun at CLA and hope to see it finished.

Regards,
Pletch
Regards,
Pletch
blackpowdermag@gmail.com

He is no fool who gives up what he cannot keep to gain what can never be taken away.

Kayla Mueller - I didn't come here of my own accord, and I can't leave that way.  Whoever brought me here, will have to take me home.

Madcaster

« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2008, 10:04:41 PM »
 PRICE IT!!!!
 PLEASE!!! ;)

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2008, 01:57:09 AM »
The gentleman that I built the gun for picked it up the day after test firing.  She's on her way up North to kill some squirrels.
Thanks for all the encouraging words. 
Ken

Offline M Tornichio

« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2008, 02:24:37 AM »
nice job on the rifle. You keep improving! I would love to see your tuturial on trigger making.
Thanks for sharing the pictures.
Marc