Author Topic: "green" deer antler problem  (Read 6015 times)

Offline Salkehatchie

"green" deer antler problem
« on: March 11, 2010, 09:49:53 PM »
Well..."most" of my old deer antler pieces are gone.  So, doing a woods walk a couple years ago ran across a 6 pointer whom died of natural causes.  I got the horn back to the barn.

Made a nice little 5 1/4" bladed scalper with his antler out of him and darn it if the antler is not green!  I had cut it to rough length and split when I brought it back to the barn. 

Just how long does it take to dry naturally and any other hints?  I have a really nice 10 pointer with very thick horns to him and certainly do not want to mess that up!

Suggestions please?

Thank you

Offline John Archer

• I solemnly swear that I am up to no good
Re: "green" deer antler problem
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2010, 11:12:12 PM »
Salkehatchie,

A friend of mine uses deer antler to turn handles and small items on a lathe...he lets green antlers cure for at least a year in his workshop.

John.
I cannot be left unsupervised.
(Sent from my immobile dial-operated telephone)

Offline Artificer

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010, 04:56:40 PM »
I'm no expert on how long it takes green deer antler thoroughly dry, but I have also always waited a year before using any for knife handles, buttons, and handles of various sorts.  I've been told that it may take less time if you cut up an antler into smaller pieces before you set them aside to naturally dry/cure.  This allows the air to get inside the pithy portions of the antler and dry out better and faster. 

I've found after cutting, the hard tine tips can usually be cut into buttons or used for handles or powder measures after about 6 months.    The portions closer to the crown base may still need a year to dry out the interior even after you cut them.  If you test drill into the pith sooner and find the interior is not dry, you could set the piece aside for a few more months to dry.   

Years ago I was warned against trying to speed up the drying process by placing them in direct sunlight or at low temperature in a stove.  I've seen some antler develop cracks due to the stresses involved when you try to artificially dry them out too fast. 

Gus

Offline Salkehatchie

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2010, 05:25:31 PM »
Thanks guys.  I must have a bad piece of antler or something.  This thing is at least that old and...I cut it to about...6" length and split to begin with!

Heck if I know what is going on.  Yes, I though about "curing" it in momma's range.  But...thought better of that.  Blades and hunting boots cause me enough grief as it is!     :(

Offline Artificer

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2010, 05:43:23 PM »
Did it split while you were cutting it or do you think it may have been split before you cut it?  Did you cut it with a hack saw?

Deer antler rots faster when it has been allowed to be outside in direct sunlight for long periods of time.  That may be the reason it was split or split easily when you cut it.   For that reason, I was also told a long time ago not to use "dropped" deer antler for a knife handle unless when you found it - it still had a dark reddish brown color at the crown pith.  IOW, it was very recently dropped.

Gus

Offline Salkehatchie

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2010, 02:21:01 AM »
OK.  That might explain it.  This was on the ground a while.  How long?  No clue really.  I cut it with a hack saw.  I also wonder if it does not have some mildew in it?  Found on the NE side of a small bluff in some cedars.  Now the really nice set I just found has the reddish brown color, it was a recent drop as the skull was still there with tissue etc on it.  I figure either age, or our notorious ferral dogs were responsible.  Salkehatchie and his .62 unfortunately were not the cause!

Thank you

Offline Artificer

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2010, 05:26:35 AM »
Glad to be able to "give a little back"for all I learn here.

Gus