Author Topic: .54 cal. Load Data  (Read 24943 times)

roundball

Re: .54 cal. Load Data
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2010, 02:00:55 AM »

barrel 1:56, .530 cast balls,.018 ticking patch,Hoppes #9 plus

Chronograph work is interesting stuff...after spring turkey season I'll be setting mine up to run numbers on my new .58cal Virginia.

Since I switched exclusively to Flintlocks with 90grns Goex 3F and PRBs 10+ years ago, shots are usually 25-50yds in the woods, plus one long one at 70yds down a loggers road.

The higher up through the lungs that a shot is made, the longer a deer can live to run.
I force myself to stay down low trying for a direct heart shot right behind the little elbow, and every shot has been a pass through except for one .45cal at 60yds which hit a rib going in and bulged the hide on the far side.

On average, out of every 10 deer shot 1-2 will drop in their tracks, 1-2 will drop in 2-3 body lengths, and the rest will make a mad dash for 25-35yds and fall within sight of me...not uncommon to have one crash full speed into a tree as they died on their feet during the sprint.

In spite of hunting most of a lifetime with good high power centerfire deer rifles, I never cease to be amazed at the effectiveness of the simple patched round ball.