Author Topic: How far out do you place a target when sighting in?  (Read 11542 times)

Offline George Sutton

Re: How far out do you place a target when sighting in?
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2010, 03:57:23 AM »
I was referring to service rifle shooting. I sight all my muzzleloaders in at 25 yards, center hold.

Sight picture is explained here:

www.scribd.com/doc/2386881/Usamu-Sight-Picture

Centershot

northmn

« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2010, 02:02:37 PM »
I had shot against people trained in HP that had production ML's and were always fiddling with their sights.  While I do agree that they were not that high of quality of sights, it seemed like those of us that had fixed sights did better through the whole season because we left our sights alone while they were always chasing the zero.  One issue was that different clubs would get kind of creative on their targets.  One liked to use animal targets for instance.  Also in the "primitive" fun shoots a 6 O'clock hold is absolutely worthless, where you migh have to break a charcoal briquet or whatever.  In one team shoot, the first shooter would shoot into a circle and the second shooter would try to hit the same hole, closest won.  For these a 50 yard sight in was plenty.  They were also fun to compete in as some of the prizes were quite attractive.

DP

Offline satwel

« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2010, 11:20:40 PM »
I start sighting in at 50 yards. I've had more success over the years using a center hold rather than the six o'clock I use for smokeless. I achieve greater consistency shooting the same powder charge for both 25 and 50 yards and adjusting the hold slightly. Then I up the charge for 100 yard ranges and keep the center hold.