Author Topic: Rich Pierce hits the big time  (Read 4407 times)

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
Rich Pierce hits the big time
« on: March 14, 2010, 02:33:05 AM »
In the 'American Tradition" magazine, on p. 32, is a horn by our own Rich Pierce. Congratulations, Rich!

ps. Is the repair effected with that pine pitch I sent you long ago?

Rich managed to keep the folkiness of the artwork within the frame of the original horn. It is hard to keep that early flavor with today's sensibilities toward the arts, where shading, perspective and human anatomy have reached a high level. With that in mind, Rich created a real 'in the spirit of' piece, without making an exact copy, yet a piece fully steeped in the art of the day.

Tom
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline James Rogers

• James Rogers
    • Fowling Piece
Re: Rich Pierce hits the big time
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2010, 03:05:36 AM »
Saw it and kudos to Rich for breaking trail in creating a true to period rendition.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2010, 03:12:14 AM by James Rogers »

Offline Brian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2010, 06:11:23 PM »
I didn't see if and can't access the magazine.  Any way Rich could post a picture?  ;)
"This is my word, and as such is beyond contestation"

Offline Randy Hedden

• member 2
  • American Mountain Men #1393
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2010, 11:52:08 PM »
I didn't see if and can't access the magazine.  Any way Rich could post a picture?  ;)

Brian,

Rich Posted photos of this horn in the "Accoutrements Forum" on the old board.  However, he has subsequently deleted the photos out of Photo Bucket so the pictures are no longer availble in the archives.

Maybe Rich will see this and post some photos.  

Randy Hedden
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 07:03:07 AM by Randy Hedden »
American Mountain Men #1393

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2010, 02:18:41 AM »
I was honored to have my horn posted because of my connection with Robert M. Hartley, a documenter and drawer of original horns from the French and Indian War through the Revolutionary War period in the Mohawk Valley of New York.  He was the husband of my great-aunt Fannie and was known to my father and all the family as "Uncle Rob".  My aunt passed away when I was about 7 years old and my grandfather, executer of the Hartley estate, took me with him to their large house (we called it a mansion) to sort through things.  I found copies of the drawings of powder horns, and at just 7 years of age, was captivated by them and kept them safe till now.

Here is a scan of the Daniel Weatherhead horn as it was drawn by Uncle Rob:

Here is the "Ugly Mermaid" horn I made in tribute.  I sold it before I was able to take high quality photos.  I patched a crack with cutler's resin and a piece of thin sheet brass.  The patina was put on by boiling in onion skins.  The plug is white pine stained with aquafortis (gives a marvelous deep color on pine).

« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 02:21:03 AM by richpierce »
Andover, Vermont

Offline Brian

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2010, 06:26:03 PM »
Fantastic!  Thanks Rich.  Man, that just "reeks" of history!  You refer to finding copies of drawing(s) - don't suppose there are any other really cool pictures like that you can show us (hint, hint, hint).  :D
"This is my word, and as such is beyond contestation"

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2010, 06:39:23 PM »
The Honorable Company of Horners are publishing a book soon on the Hartley drawings.  It will be very cool.  A lot of these have never been seen by the public and the whereabouts of the original horns he drew are mostly unknown.  The original drawings are all at a library in St. Johnsville, NY.  I took quick photos through glass.  Here are a couple of my favorites.  Anybody interested in original horns should get this book when it comes out.

Andover, Vermont