Author Topic: black paint treatment  (Read 3054 times)

jim m

black paint treatment
« on: August 29, 2008, 08:09:00 PM »
here is a pic of a forged trigger guard that I treated with unsalted lard. baked in oven at 500 deg. for two hrs. then left to cool in the oven over night. it looks like it was painted with semi gloss blk. paint

to prep the metal I cleaned up with a green scotch brite pad but didn't polish it

Sam Everly

Re: black paint treatment
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2008, 11:59:44 PM »
Jim i don't think you have to go that high in heat to get it to work . When i worked as a tool and die maker many years ago, we coated our stuff with oil and baked it at 350 degs for around 2 hours. Some of my tools i made still have the coating on them in good shape . I remember a old fellow useing a Act/Oxy torch to heat his and it looked as good as baking it . I guess i could try it again with some lard and let you know !         

Offline Brian Jordan

• Pennsylvania
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2008, 04:27:23 AM »
I am a tool & die maker myself, and I have never heard of coating your tools with oil and baking them. You have sparked my interest. can someone please elaborate on this subject.
Elizabeth, PA

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms"...Thomas Jefferson

Let's Go Brandon!

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2008, 05:59:22 AM »
Same thing I do to my cast iron cook ware. Just seasons them and helps with keeping them rust free.
Psalms 144