Author Topic: 50s-70s maker 'meadows' of beckley wva,anyone have one of his guns?pics?  (Read 20210 times)

godart340

leonard meadows was my uncle,made long rifles and a few pistols until his death in 1975,id love to have a few pics of any guns he made,i dug out a gun that i inherited from his estate,its a nice ezra benson 45 percussion,and made me think about my uncles work,would love to hear from anyone who knew something about his guns. he may have signed his guns "A.L.M." or" A.L.Meadows",i'm told he was active at target shooting,and his guns were built as shooters.

ill post pics of the two guns i got from his estate,both are E.D. Benson.
and are in good shape,have been in cases for 35 years
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 03:28:08 PM by godart340 »

Ben Gorey

Contact the National Muzzleloading Rifle Association for a copy of the L A Meadows article which was in the June 1963 issue of "Muzzle Blasts" magazine.

Offline wvmtnman

I don't have any leads on your uncle, but I can ask around this shooting season.  I live in WV and chances are most of his rifles stayed in the area in that era. Are you wanting to buy one?  If so, give me your name so that I can pass it on.   Also, I would be very interested in seeing the E Benson rifles.  I have a special interest in Benson rifles.  I actually own property that belonged to one of E.D.'s son's. 
                                                                    Brian
B. Lakatos

Offline Carper

I have a half stock rifle that Lenard Medows made. Very plain walnut with steel mounts and no buttplate. I had a beauty of a full stock flintlock that he made that I traded to Ron Wood the owner of Flat Top Arms in Beckley WV I am sure he would let you see it. Send me your email and I will sendl you some pictures of the one I still have.  They used to be the rifle to have around southern WV in the 60's and 70's.    Johnny

Offline flintriflesmith

• Flintriflesmith
Your Uncle was very involved in the local target shooting scene. About 1959-61 he hosted rifle matches at his shop several times a year. I only attended a couple because it was a long drive up there from Salem, VA.

Wallace Gusler and his father introduced me to that group and we would ride up together in their 1956 Mercury. Back then the West Virginia Turnpike was the only limited access highway we had ever seen and it was mostly two lane with a "suicide" passing lane in the few straight stretches. Not a ride for the faint of heart!

Gary
"If you accept your thoughts as facts, then you will no longer be looking for new information, because you assume that you have all the answers."
http://flintriflesmith.com

Offline Frank Barker

I knew Leonard Meadows personally. I first met him when a Jr High School math teacher took me to some of the shoots that were held near his shop in Shady Springs, WV, around 1959 and 1960. The rifle club that he and several of his friends started back then, moved to the Charleston area around 1972. It is still called The Mountaineer Flintlock Rifle Club and shoot twice a month at there range off Coal River road here in Kanawha Co. Ed Gardner, who was a great friend of Leonards, owned a small gun shop in Poca WV, and was a big push behind the success of the gun club. I was president and vice president of the club back in the 70s, along with Bob Walden who is still the present day president.

I have owned a couple of Leonards rifles. He was a craftsman in the spirit of the old time gunsmiths. He was an inspiration of Wallace Gusler, George Suiter and many other lesser known gunmakers. I have a riflemans knife he made for Ed Gardner as a gift and his personal gun cabinet that was made from a cherry tree that grew in his back yard when he was a kid. I also have a tobacco tin that he engraved for me just before he past away. He was a wonderful man, a fine riflesmith and a good friend to many. He will be forever missed from the gunmaking and shooting fraternity......Frank
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 04:31:00 AM by Frank Barker »

kl300dm

Re: 50s-70s maker 'meadows' of beckley wva,anyone have one of his guns?pics?
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2010, 03:45:28 AM »
I have three rifles made by your uncle.  All three are southern style flintlocks with iron hardware.  They are:  .45 cal. with a Bill Large barrel and Keeler lock, .32 caliber with Bill Large barrel and a Siler lock, .50 caliber with a Bill Large barrel and a Roller lock.

I visited his shop several times and always enjoyed my time with him.  These guns were made from 1970 - 1975.

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2010, 07:59:46 PM »
This is a heart warming story about a man who provided a valuable service and touched the lives of a lot of people.  His legacy lives on, and I believe, like the masters of the day, is timeless.
Thanks for this.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

641palm

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2014, 12:07:15 AM »
If you're still interested in a Leonard Meadows' masterpiece, get me an e-mail address for some pictures and history.

Offline Hawken62_flint

• Nothing like it, 'cept more of it !
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2014, 05:02:06 PM »
A man whose father owned 2 Leonard Meadows flintlocks recently sold them thru Cain's Outdoors in Boaz, West Virginia.  They were both beautiful rifles--the engraving on them was superb, lots of very fine lines and impeccably done.  I only took a couple pictures of the incised carving on one of the rifles for my own future reference.  The .45 caliber rifle was a later rifle, as it was more masterfully done than the .32 caliber rifle, and the story was that Leonard and this fellow's father hand rifled that barrel and that rifle had never been shot.  I wish I could tell you that there were still there waiting for someone to buy them, but the .45 went to Florida and the .32 went to Glenville, WV.  I could possibly get you contact information for the owner of the one in Glenville, and he might be willing to sell it, but I am only speculating.  From what I could tell from those 2 rifles, your Uncle was a true master, working wood and metal into a work of art.

Offline sqrldog

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2014, 08:10:46 PM »
godart340
A friend of mine now deceased had Leonard Meadows build a rifle in the mid 60s. When he passed away I was given all of his old muzzleloading correspondence. I have several letters written by Leonard and a picture of Leonard holding one of his rifles. If you would like to have a copy of this contact me and I'll send it to you. Tim Cosby

Offline mountainman70

• USAF vet 1971-1972 malmstrom afb,montana
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2014, 12:26:14 AM »
This is a heart warming story about a man who provided a valuable service and touched the lives of a lot of people.  His legacy lives on, and I believe, like the masters of the day, is timeless.
Thanks for this.

Taylor,and all y'all----my mentor/teacher has Leonards manual rifling rig,and it still cuts a fine bar'l as you would want.Made of solid wv cherry.Our old m/l range was named The Leonard Meadows Range,in his honor.I never met him,but have benefitted from his involvement in traditional rifle building.  best regards,dave F :)

Offline moodyholler

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2014, 04:43:32 AM »
I have a 45 half stock marked ALM, made by Leanard for Bill Bell of Tazwell Va and completed June 1965. Engraving is super on patch box. Has Roller lock and triggers. Barrel is a Douglas. I was a member of Kate Carpenter muzzleloading club then of Lewisburg, and now of Smoot, WV, and Leanard was a charter member if my memory is corre ct. They still hold a Leanord Medows Memorial Shoot every Memorial Day weekend. At one time I tried to collect a rifle by most of the founding members. I still have Al Fulchers, Bill Boyd's, and Leanards. When I was shooting there in the 70's, most members built rifles. Besides those listed, Mike Cox, Mike Chapman, Larry Hanna, Dennis White, Paul Perkins, Ward Parker, Bill Parker, Tex Young, and others I have long forgotten. Most match prizes were barrels, locks, or wood to promote rifle building. I built my first rifle at the age of 14 from parts bought from club members. Shining times!!!! moodyholler

Offline Bob Roller

« Reply #13 on: December 27, 2014, 05:05:36 AM »
I have a 45 half stock marked ALM, made by Leanard for Bill Bell of Tazwell Va and completed June 1965. Engraving is super on patch box. Has Roller lock and triggers. Barrel is a Douglas. I was a member of Kate Carpenter muzzleloading club then of Lewisburg, and now of Smoot, WV, and Leanard was a charter member if my memory is corre ct. They still hold a Leanord Medows Memorial Shoot every Memorial Day weekend. At one time I tried to collect a rifle by most of the founding members. I still have Al Fulchers, Bill Boyd's, and Leanards. When I was shooting there in the 70's, most members built rifles. Besides those listed, Mike Cox, Mike Chapman, Larry Hanna, Dennis White, Paul Perkins, Ward Parker, Bill Parker, Tex Young, and others I have long forgotten. Most match prizes were barrels, locks, or wood to promote rifle building. I built my first rifle at the age of 14 from parts bought from club members. Shining times!!!! moodyholler

I have a picture of Leonard Meadows and Bill Boyd taken shortly before Leonard's untimely death
from a blood clot.I have seen some of Mike Cox's recent work and he is as good as anyone on this forum IMHO.

Bob Roller

Offline moodyholler

« Reply #14 on: December 27, 2014, 05:25:39 AM »
Mr Roller, I beat Bill in a blanket match and won his priming horn. He offered me 50 dollars for it back. I never let him have it back and still carry it in my bag. That was 1980, and I was 15. Bill was a dear friend and I miss him always. I only seen mr meadows one time early on. Must be one heck of a match on Saturdays in Heavan!! moodyholler

Old Bob

« Reply #15 on: December 27, 2014, 07:59:08 AM »
I used to shoot rifle-musket matches with Bill at our 3 day matches at the Leonard Meadows range (Montaineer Flint lock Rifles). He was hard to beat, but sometimes I managed to do it. Many times I had to settle for second. I didn't get to know Leonard well as he died soon after I got into BP shooting. But I've handled a few of his rifles and he was a top of the line gunsmith. I examined one of his pieces in October that belongs to a friend of mine who was closely associated with Leonard. I'd be happy to own it.

Grosvenor

This thread was started eight years ago and hasn’t had any activity for almost half of that time. I’m replying to this topic should Leonard’s nephew check back in. I have a wonderful rifle that Leonard Meadows made. It’s always been one of my favorite rifles and a fantastic shooter. Here’s a quick picture of it...

Offline Craig Wilcox

Beautiful rifle, well designed and executed.

Never met Mr. Meadows, but will certainly keep an eye out for any of his work.  Thanks for showing the picture, and wonderful finish on that maple!

Craig
Craig Wilcox
We are all elated when Dame Fortune smiles at us, but remember that she is always closely followed by her daughter, Miss Fortune.

Offline Bob Roller

In August of 1965 I went to Len Meadows shop in Shady Spring WV and took delivery on
a Southern long rifle.It was a walnut full stock with hand made butt plate and trigger guard and rod
pipes of thin iron from a wrecked original rifle I bought from Bill Large.It had a Large barrel 13/16x44
and 45 caliber. My lock and triggers. I traded some flint locks and triggers to Len for this job and it
was a fine piece of work. I made a number of locks and triggers for him over a long period of time.
I sold this rifle in 1969 with 3 others to help with medical bills incurred from an appendectomy on
28 December 1968.I heard that one of our top shooters of the time here in WV,Bill Boyd got it and
shot it a lot and had Bill Large rerifle (fresh out) the barrel.He shot it out again and replaced it with
a Douglas barrel of identical size.I reconditioned the frizzen on the lock and did nothing to the mechanism.
I remember the call I got from Bob Beckleheimer in April 1976 telling me Len had died suddenly because of a large blood clot that
tried to pass thru his heart.It was instant death and it appeared that Len had poured a cup of coffee because it
was all over the kitchen floor with the cup.Bob told me they had been in Virginia and Len had set in on a jam session
with the Country Gentlemen the night before with a 5 string banjo.
I still think of him and we lost a real friend and craftsman when he passed.

Bob Roller

Offline Bob Roller

One thing I forgot and it may give a little insight into Len Meadows personality.
I got a letter from him,wriiten in pencil and it said the weather was too hot,he
had a lot of work to do,his dog was pregnant and his truck had broken an oil ring
and smoked like a volcano.
The last paragraph said "Yer riflegun is done and you can come and get it whenever it suits you".
It "suited me" the next day and Clifford Partlow went with me to get it.
His shop was a small,long building on skids ad he could move it with the truck by pulling it
to wherever he wanted it.I told him my shop was air conditioned and he said I was immoral ;D
and inflicting cruel and unusual punishment on him.

Bob Roller

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

;) ;) ;).... Great photo & story of Leonard Meadows and Hacker Martin on the "Contemporary Makers" blog page,... !!!

Offline Cades Cove Fiddler

;) ;)... Thanx, Art,... the "Contemporary Makers" blog page is my go to source for info,.... you & Jan do a great job there,.... Everyone here should become familiar with it,... great for reference,... I just do not know how to share the info like you just posted,... Thanx again,.... regards,... Cades Cove Fiddler .....

Grosvenor

Great stuff! Thank you all for your new input. I’m sure there aren’t many copies of a 1963 Muzzle Blasts around so for anyone who’s curious about the afore mentioned article on Len... here she be.

september poems