Author Topic: Just back from Heffley  (Read 33883 times)

Harnic

Just back from Heffley
« on: August 30, 2008, 05:26:05 AM »
I could only stay a couple days due to work obligations but had a heck of a good time!  ALR was well represented at the Heffley Creek Rondy again this year with Taylor, Daryl, Leatherbelly, Crispy, Neil Hunter, me (Harnic), & possibly a few more I didn't run into.  My son Ben & I took a pile of picture, when I get more time I'll post lots.  Here's one of the primitive camp:

and a link to several more on Photobucket: http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y220/Harnic/Heffley08/?albumview=slideshow
« Last Edit: August 30, 2008, 07:28:37 AM by Harnic »

Offline Kingsman06

• Starting Member
Re: Just back from Heffley
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2008, 10:21:09 PM »
Harry,

Looks like you had a good time.  Beautiful location. 
Dave Zoellers

Harnic

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2008, 11:02:58 PM »
It was a LOT of fun Dave & south central BC is very beautiful.  The dead trees are the result of the Pine beetle infestation that is destroying most of British Columbia's forests.  Soon our landscape will look very similar to southern California... :(   I am going to get a period correct tent & stay in the primitive site next year, for a LOT longer, hopefully all 10 days.  That ¾ km hike back to my camp at 11:30 pm after the party at Taylor's lodge was a b*tch!  ;)  The Heffley Creek club is an amazing facility, lots of trails, a 500 meter silhouette range & lots of camping in the trees.  I'll get more pictures up next week.

lew wetzel

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2008, 04:03:34 AM »
glad to hear all had a good time,is there no way to stop the pine beetle infestation.
we must see more pics of this event....so bring them on fellas..

Harnic

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2008, 06:35:34 AM »
Apparently the beetle infestation could have been stopped back in the early 1990s but because they were discovered in a park our idiot leaders decided to let nature take it's course.  By the time they realized how serious the threat was, it was too late.  The wicked little boogers have covered most of British Columbia & have crossed the Rockies into Alberta.  It's only a matter of time before they make it to Washington state now.

Taylor, Daryl, & the others will be heading home today.  Hopefully they will have pictures too.  I have lots more & will finish sorting & post them this week.  ;)
« Last Edit: September 01, 2008, 07:46:18 PM by Harnic »

Daryl

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2008, 03:31:35 AM »
Taylor and I are back as well.  We had a great time which was made quite special with the arrival of Dave and Gail Rase from Wash.  They weren't camped far from us so visiting was easy for all.  Dave and Gail are good shots, sure glad they had women's categories separate from the men's. Once Dave gets her frizzen freshed - she's be even better.  They are very nice people, a pleasure to know and shoot with.  Next year, Tracy will be there and will enjoy they company as much as I did. Yes - they're coming back, hopefully for the full 10 days.  It will be Hefley Rendezvou's 20th Anniversary.  The more the merrier.  Hope it's warmer next year for the more Southern visitors - it usually is.

doug

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2008, 04:27:06 AM »
     The weather was certainly different this year; hot the first couple of days then cool for the rest of the time.  Seemed like fall started 1 or 2 weeks early this year.  I actually preferred the cooler weather.  Also most afternoons were quite windy and towards the end of the week, it blew 30 - 40 mph for  a while.
    the photos I am posting are from some of the events; roundball silhouette, a "sasquatch trail", and a squirrel trail.  Also a couple of my wife cooking Saturday night supper.
     In spite of increased fuel costs, attendance was up with 140 camps total and of these roughly 50 were in primitive, up from 40 primitive camps and 130 total last year.
    As with the others I thoroughly enjoyed myself.

cheers Doug

« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 04:30:08 AM by doug »

Harnic

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2008, 07:27:18 AM »
Thanks for the pix Doug, it was nice to see you again!

Daryl, I'm so sick of that walk from the far end of tin tipiland I plan to buy a bell back wedge tent & stay nearer you guys next year in primitive!  That walk back to the far end of civilization at 11 pm is a drag!  Hopefully Ben & I can stay most if not all the 10 days too.  It was great to visit with all the PG crowd again!

Harnic

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2008, 12:36:50 AM »
After going to the Heffley Creek rondy for 4 years, I finally get around to shooting! ;)

Daryl

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2008, 12:47:29 AM »
Fun shooting with you, Harry.

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2008, 01:48:13 AM »
Here are a couple more images from Heffley Creek.

Taylor

Daryl

Gail (my wife)

What a great rondezvous.  My wife and I both agreed that this was the best event we can remember attending.  Usually at rondezvous my wife and I will get bored due to a lack of activities which is why I usually only attend for the day to participate in the shoot and then leave.  So before leaving for Heffley we both brought along some items to keep us occupied when things get slow.  We never even had time to think about breaking out any of these items.  In fact we both laughed once we got home and started unpacking when we spotted the books and sewing items we brought along with us.  The days just flew by.  Get up, eat breakfast, shoot, clean guns, eat lunch. shoot again, clean guns again, eat supper, attend the evening festivities, visit other camps and go to bed. 
     Taylor, Daryl, I want to thank you for being such great hosts.  Leatherbelly, it was nice meeting you as well.  You guys have a wonderful get together and have a great bunch of friends.  Everyone of them made Gail and I feel welcome.  We are already talking about and looking forward to attending the Heffley Creek 20th anniversary next year. 
     Ezra, if you are reading this DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT put off going to Heffley another year.  You won't be disappointed.
DMR

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2008, 02:56:41 AM »
All of us agree that the ten days flew past too quickly, and that we are already making plans for next year's event...Rendezvous' 20th Anniversary!!

David, I'm delighted that you and Gail had such a good time.  As far as shooting is concerned, I cannot remember a time when I shot worse...but perhaps next year will give me a new measure...HA!  Gunmakers at this rendezvous are few and far between, so to have you there and to be able to pour over your wonderful work was a special treat for me, and Daryl.  Too, it took the sting out of missing Dixons.  As far as activities at the Rendezvous, one can be as busy and involved as one wants - to the point of overload.  I personally took a morning and an afternoon off here and there just to slow down and smell the roses along the way.  If one is a competitive shooter, it's easy to get your fill here.

...sure had a good time.  Thanks for all the pictures guys.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Daryl

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2008, 03:18:44 AM »
Thanks David, for posting the pictures. I had no idea anyone was taking pictures while we were shooting - guess I was watching the squirrels when Taylor and Gail were shooting. It certainly shows off the strong and weak points of one's shooting form. I see my elbow is climbing as my shoulder heals or just gets stronger, whatever it's doing.  As to time flying by, it seemed like only a long weekend to me.  Of course, having David and Gail there was the big 'start' for me. I sure enjoyed seeing David's rifles.  Gail is a peach! - Lovely person all round and posses much grace.  I see she's got good bicepts for such a trim gal.  It's great to hear they had a good time - I was concerned that perhaps there ws too much noise in the evenings.  It's pretty much a big family at Hefley with a lot of catching up on the past year's lives happening.
We're sure looking forward to next year, all ready, have already spoken with Tracy about next year being a must-attend event.  No more month long trips to Costa Rica - gotta save those vacation days for Helfey.  One thing I know I have to do, is to bring more Sambuca.

Harnic

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2008, 06:20:38 AM »
Thanks Daryl, I really enjoyed shooting with you guys too!  I've already started working out so I can hold that danged heavy rifle of mine steadier next year!

David, I'm sorry I missed you folks, it would have been a delight to meet you.

Taylor, this year's shoot has inspired me to get a tent & make the furniture needed to stay in the primitive area with you folks next year... I hate that late night hike to the far end of the camper city!

Jim Thomas

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2008, 05:11:40 PM »
In spite of increased fuel costs, attendance was up with 140 camps total and of these roughly 50 were in primitive, up from 40 primitive camps and 130 total last year.
    As with the others I thoroughly enjoyed myself.

cheers Doug

Happy to hear attendance was up.  Did you do anything different this year, than you did last,  to encourage more to attend?   

I'm totally on board with Roger Fisher about prize value. I'm convinced he's right,  but I think it takes even more than that with today's cost troubles.  Especially with families.  It seems that you can always draw a core group no matter what, but to really reach out, something extra within the rondy itself  has to be in place.

Sure wish Heffley wasn't so far away.

Daryl

« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2008, 05:55:46 PM »
Jim - people don't come to Hefley for the prizes, although they are usually wonderful, but sometimes lacking as with any club.  Many of the people don't even shoot, just camp and visit with friends they've come to know and love.  The prizes are made by the guys in the respective club which is putting on the event. Every day, different clubs in attendance put on their contests, somedays 3 different events are going on, all sponsered by different clubs. The Hefley Creek gun club's BP section only puts on one shoot during the week that I know of. Hefley Creek Rondy is a 10 day event, same general time to include the Labour Day weekend, the 1st of September at it's close.

The last day's morning event, the blanket prize shoot probably gives the best prizes which are donated by those who are doing the shooting. The have a $15.00 and up limit, but articles of value probably to $75.00 or even more show up on the blanket every year.

The moose antler draw, an event held to raise money for the kid's programs has wonderful prizes as a rule. These are donated by people at Helfey as well as unclaimed lost and found articles of value and some purchased items.

As to some prizes, I value the hand made arrow I won in the archery event this year and last, made by Taylor.  Hand made points, turkey or goose feathers, stripped by him and tied on with moose sinue along with the points. These aren't cheap prizes by any means and would cost $50.00 each on the market - maybe more. However, none of those would say Hefley Creek Rendezvous '08 3rd on the shaft.  I'm crowing here, did I mention I got 3 out of 4 bow birds?  rrrrrutaroooooooo

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2008, 06:08:28 PM »
To all the Heffley attendees;
Boy, what a wonderfull scenery to behold ;). It looks just too beautiful to be real :)!
Everyone looks like their are having a great time - maybe someday - thanks for sharing the pictures 8) 8).
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

doug

« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2008, 06:41:35 PM »
[quote author=Ji

Happy to hear attendance was up.  Did you do anything different this year, than you did last,  to encourage more to attend?   

I'm totally on board with Roger Fisher about prize value. I'm convinced he's right,  but I think it takes even more than that with today's cost troubles.  Especially with families.  It seems that you can always draw a core group no matter what, but to really reach out, something extra within the rondy itself  has to be in place.
[/quote]

I think what we have done differently is that there is now a web page for the rondezvous (do a search for Heffley Creek Rendezvous) and the second is posting photos of the events here and on other similar sites.

I can't remember what Roger said about prizes but in a sense I don't feel they are particularly important.  Remember that out of 120 or more shooters for a particular event, only 10 will win a prize and usually those winners are from a small group of 5 or 6 people in a category (men, women, juniors).  The big reason for most people attending is a mixture of social and of challenging one's own abilities in a beautiful and safe environment.  It is also very much a family event with (at a guess) around 50 kids there this year.

cheers Doug

Jim Thomas

« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2008, 10:35:55 PM »
The Heffley rondy is structured different than ours is.  I like the concept.   

With prizes provided with club funds along with a few donated prizes, I think the value could be placed in the neighborhood of $1500. Skip Hamaker is very generous and donates several powder horns for example.

Club members do not compete in the shooting events.   The rondy prizes are for the guests.   I think we had about 75 shooters register.    During the hayday, about 200.    As shooter numbers drop, the ability to supply prizes dwindles.    We need to  stucture something different to turn it around.   When I hear that someones numbers increased,  I'm all ears.

Daryl

« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2008, 11:48:46 PM »
Forgot to note, that H.Creek charges $25 per camp for the 10 day event. Individual matches are $5.00 for all non-juniors and $1.00 for them(I think).
: In the evening after supper Camp Fire is held at 7PM, the shooters all gather at the big awning (wikiup) bring their chairs and beverages and sit listening to the events of the day unfold, shenanigans, like almost impromtu skits along with who did what - ie: dry-ball or shoot their ramrod downrange (either demand a $1.00 fine and have to wear the 'bib' for the next day or more - fines go towards the kids events and gear - cronic complaints that day will earn "the lip" - arguments (in fun, of course) between the top shooters in smoothbore, prizes handed out or the events of the day, along with the respective club members explaining their contests, rules and shoot times for the next day.  All in fun and a great way to end the festivities of the day - no wait - the festivities have just begun, with friends joining around camp fires here and there, telling lies, some truths, eating snacks and perhaps passing a bottle of Sambuca, Almond Butter liqueur or Shnapps, Jack Daniels(Yuk!), sometimes Appleton's Estate Jamaca rum. One by one, they leave and head for bed to do it all again the next day. Time flies when you're having fun. 10 days seems like only like a long weekend.

doug

« Reply #20 on: September 04, 2008, 03:05:26 AM »
     A minor correction on an earlier statement; Heffley ends with Labour Day which is the first monday of September rather than September 1.  That means that the date varies from year to year.  This year was an early one because Labour Day was Sept 1.

I think if we relied on expensive prizes to attract people,  we would not be terribly successful, particularly in terms of the numbers of competitors.  Basically unless you are in the top 10% or better of shooters, what would be the point in competing. obviously most people are average shooters and stand little chance of ever winning a prize.  If my memory is correct, 19 years ago, we had 80 - 90 camps total and that has gone up by 5 or 10 per year, most years, to the present 140 camps.

The $25 camping fee goes towards hauling in water, toilet paper, fliers and other expense of maintaining the camp.

Having said that I did win one of Taylor's arrows several years ago, in a hawk and knife event and I still value it greatly.  At the same time most events I compete in partly to support the hosting club and to challenge myself even though my odds of winning are pretty slim.

cheers Doug

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2008, 05:08:27 AM »
The Heffley rondy is structured different than ours is.  I like the concept.   

With prizes provided with club funds along with a few donated prizes, I think the value could be placed in the neighborhood of $1500. Skip Hamaker is very generous and donates several powder horns for example.

Club members do not compete in the shooting events.   The rondy prizes are for the guests.   I think we had about 75 shooters register.    During the hayday, about 200.    As shooter numbers drop, the ability to supply prizes dwindles.    We need to  stucture something different to turn it around.   When I hear that someones numbers increased,  I'm all ears.

There is a difference in this subject 'tween' the Canadian Rondy at Heffley Creek and our shoots and Rondys that we are missing here.  The Hefflley Creek weeklong rondy is about the only Rondy the shooters up there have for hundreds of miles and is the only one per year.  We lucky dogs here in Pennsylvania have a shoot nearly every weekend at least Sundays all year long counting the woodswalks that Topton and Boyeertown put on in the winter.  Our shooters have trouble breaking away to go to every one and they must or do pick on the better and closer ones to their homes.  Soooo, if there is as rondy that for one reason or another has to cut their prizes in number and in value 'some' shooters will not attend in particular if they have to battle the home life to get away to said shoot. 

Case (shoot) in point is one I recently shot at.  They have their shoots in spring and fall on holiday weekends.  3 days of shooting .  Used to be they had 125 and more shooters that would travel from the far end of the state to show up.  This club gradually pulled out matches.  Cut the agg to 50/50 which really kills a matlch @!*% quick.  stopped paying high flint and high percussion back to high over all in their primative match.  Less and less shooters showed up and that was the main reason.  This was all prior to high fuel costs.  The club gradually started paying better prizes and the attendance now up to 40 to 50 shooters. They have a limited number of matches and I hear rumbles that the shooters want more matches....Anyway, thats my story and I'm stickin to it!! ;D

Evil Monkey

« Reply #22 on: September 04, 2008, 05:53:50 AM »
That's not actually the case Roger. For those that live in the lower third of BC, there is a BP shoot pretty much every weekend within a couple hour drive at the most. The Heffley rondy (which is an incorrect moniker) is a 10 day wind-up for the season. That's why all the various clubs are represented and why it's held at the end of summer. The boys from central BC (Prince George area) have a bit farther to go to attend shoots other than their own but are still within a reasonable distance to take in 1 or 2. Even in northern Alberta we have a few shoots. Valleyview is only 1/2 from me but not worth even THAT drive IMO and then we have Ft Mcmurray which is a 7 day rondy designed after the Heffley event thats only 6 hours away that is DEFINATLY worth the drive. There's nothing in Northern BC that I'm aware of. BTW, the rondy at Heffley is actually just called "rendezvous '08" because it's a wind-up for ALL of the clubs. Heffley creek is just the location that it's held at.

Harnic

« Reply #23 on: September 04, 2008, 06:07:42 AM »
Evil, did your Dad tell you about his ramrod in the fort shoot?  Darned thing nearly knocked him on his a*s!  I'm pretty sure he hit his target tho.  ;)  We missed you there this year.

Evil Monkey

« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2008, 06:22:58 AM »
 ;D, Actually, I had seen that in the pics you posted. Mom called me as soon as they got home and said "your dad is getting forgetful". I said, Yeah, I need to ask him how exacly one shoots their RR down range". She laughed and gave the phone to Dad. I asked and he told me, then asked "how did you know about that?. Told him "it's all over the internet, I saw the picture". He said " That Harry Nicholson". I said YUP!. ;D ;D. He also dry balled once and tried to fire an empty gun (thinking it was loaded) I think twice. On the brighter side, he said he got 3rd (or fourth?) in the squirrel shoot and out shot Taylor, Daryl and Steinhauer. He figured that was not bad for an old blind man ;D.