Author Topic: Just back from Heffley  (Read 33796 times)

Daryl

Re: Just back from Heffley
« Reply #50 on: September 09, 2008, 03:32:57 AM »
Wear boxers or tighty whities underneath a clout and Dog Spit will cut them off for you - HA!  As interesting as that may sound, you may not like how high she pulls them up above your belt before cutting, though.

2 years later and his voice is just coming back to normal.

Leatherbelly

« Reply #51 on: September 09, 2008, 09:20:36 PM »
Huh?

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #52 on: September 09, 2008, 09:22:18 PM »
Space...the final frontier!
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Harnic

« Reply #53 on: September 10, 2008, 12:01:05 AM »
Wow!  Panther has a lot of choices!  I'm still leaning toward the RK tent as it comes complete for a bit better price while Panther charges extra for things like a sod cloth which to my way of thinking should be on any camp dwelling.  On the other side, the Panther tents are bigger....  Taylor, I'm definitely going for sunforger fabric, but I don't think I need to go for flame resistant sunforger.  I won't be having open flames in or near my tent.  The flame resistant sunforger adds a lot to the cost.

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #54 on: September 10, 2008, 08:21:50 AM »
Dave and Gail are good shots, sure glad they had women's categories separate from the men's. Once Dave gets her frizzen freshed - she's be even better. 
Daryl,  I am doing one better then rehardening her frizzen.  I am building her a whole new gun.  Thanks to you pointing out that her head position on the butt stock needed improvement we have decided to build her a gun that fits her.  I received a .45 caliber Green Mountain 38" B weight swamped barrel in the mail today.  I cut it down to 36" long and rebreeched it.  We are going to do a simple Lancaster style gun.  She wants to help build it with me this winter after I get moved into the new shop.  Next year is going to be a blast.
DMR

Leatherbelly

« Reply #55 on: September 10, 2008, 04:33:56 PM »
Harry,
 Panther builds them tents way tougher then most,JMHO.Checkout the seems. For a few bucks more,you get more years of service.Good trade off.

Daryl

« Reply #56 on: September 10, 2008, 05:54:21 PM »
That's wonderful news, David - and she's helping, too - what a Gal!

Harnic

« Reply #57 on: September 10, 2008, 06:05:10 PM »
Harry,
 Panther builds them tents way tougher then most,JMHO.Checkout the seems. For a few bucks more,you get more years of service.Good trade off.

Thanks for the info Roy, I will talk to both companies & with all the input from here will have good, tough questions for both.  I'm already looking forward to next year!  YAY!  No more late night hike back to my nylon tent in the forest!  ;)  (I nearly got lost this year I was so far from primitive!)

Offline Roger B

• You wouldn't have a snack, would you?
« Reply #58 on: September 11, 2008, 12:53:00 AM »
Lord, I'm jealous!  Heffley will be my vacation next year.  If I'm above ground, you will see me. 
Roger B.
Never underestimate the sheer destructive power of a minimally skilled, but highly motivated man with tools.

Harnic

« Reply #59 on: September 11, 2008, 02:26:21 AM »
Great news Roger!  I'm sure I speak for all the ALR members who frequent Heffley in saying I look forward to seeing you there!

Leatherbelly

« Reply #60 on: September 11, 2008, 04:51:11 AM »
Harry,
 A good idea is to purchase a fly from the vendor. If the weather gets rough,a good fitting fly keeps your canvas dry.If the weather is fair,they make a nice awning for shade.The reason I suggested Panther is that they make flys to fit their tents.They put in the chimney holes in the right place,no fitsky ditsky.You'd be surprised what a difference a  little airtight stove in your tent can make. Chris built a cool little upright heater for his. I like them close to the ground so your feet don't get so cold. Something else to research,Harry. LOL.

Offline Scott Bumpus

« Reply #61 on: September 11, 2008, 05:26:35 AM »
Where in the world is heffley??? ???
YOU CAN ONLY BE LOST IF YOU GIVE A @!*% WHERE THE $#*! YOU ARE!!

Harnic

« Reply #62 on: September 11, 2008, 06:01:38 PM »
Thanks Roy, you're a bloody walking encyclopedia!  I hadn't thought about the fly aspect.  How important is a fly?  With the steep pitch of a wedge tent I didn't think water would have time to penetrate Sunforger finished canvas!  I was just planning on an awning out front.  No stove inside for me, the fire retardant Sunforger is way too pricey!

MB, go to: http://www.bcrendezvous.com/  everything you want to know about the Heffley Rondy is there.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 06:03:03 PM by Harnic »

doug

« Reply #63 on: September 11, 2008, 06:49:27 PM »
Where in the world is heffley??? ???

Nearest town is Kamloops, British Columbia.  It is about 12 miles north of Kamloops, on highway 5 going towards Jaspar Alberta.

cheers Doug

Offline Roger B

« Reply #64 on: September 11, 2008, 08:31:39 PM »
OK, now I'm really confused.  Am I supposed to have my fly open or closed at Heffley?  Is Sunforger better than denim?  Thats what my fly is usually made out of.
Roger B.
Never underestimate the sheer destructive power of a minimally skilled, but highly motivated man with tools.

Offline Scott Bumpus

« Reply #65 on: September 12, 2008, 12:35:25 AM »
If I start driving now from tennessee i might be able to make there by next years shoot! :D
YOU CAN ONLY BE LOST IF YOU GIVE A @!*% WHERE THE $#*! YOU ARE!!

doug

« Reply #66 on: September 12, 2008, 01:12:09 AM »
  Is Sunforger better than denim?  Thats what my fly is usually made out of.
Roger B.

If you were making a fly or a tent, yourself, what you want to consider is how dense the weave is.  Heavy denims are often a more open (think porous) weave than sail cloth and the sort of canvas that tents are made of.  My wife sewed up a mini teepee out of a heavy cotton cloth which we then waterproofed.  Fine for sun but when the rains came, a fine mist of tiny droplets would penetrate the material.  Not leak in the sense of soaking through but penetrating through the pores as the raindrops hit

cheers Doug

Harnic

« Reply #67 on: September 12, 2008, 01:49:05 AM »
I seem to be hijacking my own thread here, but I guess because it's mine that's okay.  ;)  I contacted the folks at Panther Primitives this afternoon & they assured me there's no need for a fly over their tents, even in nasty weather, so it's an awning, not a fly & I'm pretty sure I'll go for a wall tent rather than a wedge.  Just not enough room in a bell backed wedge for me & all my gear... I'm too danged tall!

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #68 on: September 12, 2008, 02:45:24 AM »
You'd be surprised what a difference a  little airtight stove in your tent can make. Chris built a cool little upright heater for his. I like them close to the ground so your feet don't get so cold. Something else to research,Harry. LOL.
I have a stove in my bell back and it is too close to the ground.  I need to add legs to it and raise it up.  How did I come to that conclusion you ask.  The last Saturday night at Heffley got a wee bit cool so the wife ask me to fire up the stove.  Come Sunday morning while folding up the bell back I found a burn hole in the side near where the stove was.  I did not remember or see it while packing up the contents.  About halfway back to the states I figured out where the burn hole came from.  After I removed the stove and all the items from the inside I collapsed the tent.  The canvas layed on the black spot on the ground that got scorched from the bottom of the stove being too close to the ground.  That spot was still hot enough to burn a hole through the canvas.  Thank God I had the flame retardant material so all I got was a burn hole vs a flaming piece of canvas. 
DMR 

doug

« Reply #69 on: September 12, 2008, 02:52:42 AM »
I seem to be hijacking my own thread here, but I guess because it's mine that's okay.  ;)  I contacted the folks at Panther Primitives this afternoon & they assured me there's no need for a fly over their tents, even in nasty weather, so it's an awning, not a fly & I'm pretty sure I'll go for a wall tent rather than a wedge.  Just not enough room in a bell backed wedge for me & all my gear... I'm too danged tall!

More or less on the same subject, it is awfully handy having an awning in front of the tent.  Shelter from any rain and gives you some shade in the hot weather.  I don't use a fly on my tent but partly because it is a large tent (12X15), it is difficult to get the roof completely flat and water tends to accumulate in the sags.  A pole under that area while it is raining, keeps the pockets of water from forming.

I also find it prudent to keep the back of the tent pegged down and away from the stove to prevent the tent burning.  My stove sits up about 8" above the ground.

cheers Doug
« Last Edit: September 12, 2008, 02:54:27 AM by doug »

Harnic

« Reply #70 on: September 12, 2008, 07:45:51 AM »
I will just hide my little Coleman propane heater under the bed in the day time.  I don't need the heat when sleeping, I can fire it up for 10 mins or so before dressing for bed & roll over & light it before rising in the morning.  I'm sure it will get & stay a LOT warmer in a canvas tent compared to my current nylon tent which has the entire ceiling of noseum mesh & a fly over that.  The heat just shoots straight out!  Wood burning in a tent scares the $#@* out of me!

Daryl

« Reply #71 on: September 12, 2008, 06:37:41 PM »
Ahh - 12inches of maple coals in the centre of a Lodge - wonderful.

Harnic

« Reply #72 on: September 16, 2008, 12:51:16 AM »
The Heffley Creek Rondy website has been updated with next year's schedule of events & more pictures.  Check it out at: http://www.bcrendezvous.com/ .

Daryl

« Reply #73 on: September 18, 2008, 12:27:21 AM »
I'm awaiting, with bated breath, Jim Write's pictures to show up on the site - he took a passel of them with some expensive looking camera "stuff''.

Offline Roger B

« Reply #74 on: September 18, 2008, 09:28:37 PM »
I'm saving my pennies & making my plans.  This looks like the kind of fun we had back in the day in the US.  I already have the time scheduled off.
Roger B.