Author Topic: Modifying a small Siler lock to look English  (Read 19122 times)

Offline Dale Halterman

• Global Moderator
Modifying a small Siler lock to look English
« on: August 31, 2008, 01:02:43 AM »
On the old site, some one had posted a link to a website where there were suggested modifications for making a Siler lock look English. Can anyone tell me where to find it now?

And, in what may be the dumb question of the month, has anyone ever tried to use the frizzen from an L&R Manton lock in a small Siler lock kit?

Dale H

Offline Ken G

• F & AM #758
Re: Modifying a small Siler lock to look English
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2008, 01:14:54 AM »
Dale,
Bookie has a pretty good tutorial on modifying a Siler Lock to make it look English.  It's really pretty easy.  I've done it on a left handed Siler although I did not do everything he did it still looked more English than Germanic.

http://www.iowatelecom.net/~toadhall/modify_siler_lock.htm

Cheers,
Ken
« Last Edit: August 31, 2008, 01:16:55 AM by Ken Guy »
Failure only comes when you stop trying.

Offline Dale Halterman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2008, 02:12:54 AM »
That's the one I was looking for. Thanks, Ken

Dale H

Sam Everly

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2008, 02:21:12 AM »
I know its not a Siler/Chambers lock. If you cut the tail off of the L&R Bedford it looks like a smaller version of there square butt late Ketland. And the pan is right.  You could thin up the tail alittle also .                                                                                                                                       
« Last Edit: November 02, 2020, 10:08:18 PM by Dennis Glazener »

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2008, 04:23:54 AM »
I did this lock a couple of years ago.  It's a large Siler (the small one is pretty durn small...).  Actually, it's the "Gunmakers lock kit" with the blank lockplate (the greatest thing since sliced bread).  Not exactly "English", but it was meant to look like a ca. 1800 American lock of more English style.  I used a "Switzer" lock as my main inspiration.

It could easily be made more "English-looking".  The biggest problem you might have is rounding the pan.  There is not much to play with there, and you could very easily file off too much, exposing the notch in the lockplate.  I've just BARELY got it covered on this one!
« Last Edit: November 02, 2020, 10:07:14 PM by Dennis Glazener »
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2008, 07:54:31 AM »
On the old site, some one had posted a link to a website where there were suggested modifications for making a Siler lock look English. Can anyone tell me where to find it now?

And, in what may be the dumb question of the month, has anyone ever tried to use the frizzen from an L&R Manton lock in a small Siler lock kit?

Dale H

Easier to just use a English style lock in the first place. Unless you do a LOT of work its going to look like a Siler someone tried to make into something else.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Dale Halterman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2008, 03:13:17 PM »
The problem is, I am looking for an English style pistol sized lock, and the Chambers round faced lock is to early. I also like the internal fit of the Chambers locks better than the L&R locks. Now, if L&R sold a kit or casting set for their Manton, that might work.

Dale H

northmn

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2008, 08:06:32 PM »
This is one of my interests also.  I shoot left handed and am kind of cheap.  I can get the Siler kit for a fair price and do the modifications.  While it will lack the stirrup on the mainspring, I have found the Silers to be pretty nice locks.

DP

Offline T*O*F

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2008, 10:03:36 PM »
Now, if L&R sold a kit or casting set for their Manton, that might work

They all sell parts for their locks and most are pretty accommodating.  Just call em up and tell em what you want and why.  They'll fix you up.  Just cause it's not offered in a catalog don't mean you can't get it.

Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Online Jim Chambers

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2008, 10:14:49 PM »
Why not just buy one of our Queen Anne Pistol locks?  It already has the round plate and cock, uses the small Siler internals, and is assembled by L.C. Rice to the same standards as all of our other locks.  Look for it on our web site at www.flintlocks.com.

Offline Dale Halterman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2008, 11:05:40 PM »
Hey, Jim, thanks for jumping in. I have seen your Queen Anne, and I like it a lot. The only problem is, it is too early for the pistol I have in mind.

Your late Ketland would be perfect if it was available sized for a pistol.

Not to derail my own thread, but as long as I have your attention Jim, do you ream the pivot hole in the sear for a close fit when you assemble your locks, or is it just drilled?

Dale H

Online Jim Chambers

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2008, 02:10:30 AM »
Dale,
Yes, we drill the sear hole undersize, and then ream it to assure a tight fit between the hole and the screw shaft.

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2008, 02:25:03 AM »
Pistol locks don't have to be that small.
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

J Shingler

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2008, 03:14:35 AM »
My last pistol build.. well it is not finished yet, used one of Jims late Ketlands. Worked out just fine for a pistol.

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2008, 03:25:35 AM »
The problem is, I am looking for an English style pistol sized lock, and the Chambers round faced lock is to early. I also like the internal fit of the Chambers locks better than the L&R locks. Now, if L&R sold a kit or casting set for their Manton, that might work.

Dale H

I would get parts from Blackley or The Rifle Shoppe if they have them. Both show castings for really nice small locks.
To me using a Siler as a base for an English lock is just silly. Sorry. Even when done it still will feel like a Siler when you cock it. Siler is a FINE design for its intended use. Perhaps the best. But its not possible to make a best quality English lock from 1775-1780 or later from one.
I just reworked a L&R  "Manton" for use in a pistol.
Its not nearly as bad as some seem to think not perfect by any means but very fast and a good sparker with a little tuning.
I thin the tumbler which is far too wide for use in small guns. Think its .650" from the face of the lockplate to the head of the bridal screws. Requires far too much wood to be removed under the breech tang unless a VERY heavy barrel is used. I also reworked the main and frizzen springs for more tension.

Dan

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2008, 04:10:05 AM »
Perhaps he doesn't want a "best quality" English lock....ordinary English locks retained a normal mainspring/tumbler arrangement.

northmn

« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2008, 01:07:54 PM »

To me using a Siler as a base for an English lock is just silly. Sorry. Even when done it still will feel like a Siler when you cock it. Siler is a FINE design for its intended use. Perhaps the best. But its not possible to make a best quality English lock from 1775-1780 or later from one.
I just reworked a L&R  "Manton" for use in a pistol.
Its not nearly as bad as some seem to think not perfect by any means but very fast and a good sparker with a little tuning.
I thin the tumbler which is far too wide for use in small guns. Think its .650" from the face of the lockplate to the head of the bridal screws. Requires far too much wood to be removed under the breech tang unless a VERY heavy barrel is used. I also reworked the main and frizzen springs for more tension.

Dan

Mostly what I think.  We buy barrel blanks for up to $250 or more and work them over to our needs, but some seem to want a "pop in" lock.  I have had good luck with L & R locks also, when tuned. While I would use the Siler or other Chambers locks for earlier guns L&R makes nice later locks.  I think they make one called the Bailes that is made for pistols.  When you turn down the tumbler does that affect the depth for the fly indention or do you turn down from plate side? 

DP

don getz

« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2008, 03:18:45 PM »
I agree with Stophel and Jeff, I recently build a kentucky pistol using a late ketland lock, worked out great....Don

Offline Dale Halterman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2008, 04:53:57 PM »
Wow, thanks for all the input, guys. Even from those of you who think the whole idea is stupid.

Dan, you mentioned that a small Siler won't feel like a first quality English lock when cocked, no matter what it looks like. I have never cocked a quality English pistoil, so I had no idea there was such a difference. Can you get this feel of a quality lock from modifying an L&R Manton? Or from Jim C's late Ketland?

Are there any tricks to thinning out the tumbler? If I remember correctly, the fly in the Manton is on the lockplate side, not on the bridle side as in the Silers, so turning from the bridle side seems to make the most sense. How much do you take off? BTW, I know what you mean about it making for a deep cavity. The first muzzle loader I ever built was a pistol kit from Golden Age with a Manton lock and a 13/16" straight barrel.  Not a whole lot of wood left there. You can see the tang screw in the lock inlet. It did get me a judges choice ribbon at Dixon's, though.

I was going to stay away from the Rifle Shop because of the delivery time stories I have heard, and I did try Blackley's, but had trouble with their website. Maybe worth another look.

I did look at Jim's late Ketland for this pistol and the length was OK, it was just a little tall. Maybe I will take another look.

Right now though, it seems like Jeff's idea of contacting L&R to see if they will sell me a casting set is the best idea. I'll give them a call tomorrow.

Thanks for all the ideas, and keep them coming.

Hope you are all having a safe and enjoyable holiday weekend.

Dale H

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2008, 05:03:00 PM »
This is a photo of a late Ketland that will be used on a NC mountain pistol

I had Sam Everly fit a cock from Dixie Gunworks. The tail of the lock was rounded and Sam welded up the "step" at the rear of the lock. I would think this conversion would be easier than modifying a samll Siler but maybe not.
Dennis
« Last Edit: November 02, 2020, 10:10:48 PM by Dennis Glazener »
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2008, 07:28:43 PM »
Hey, I like what you did to that lock!

I think the Chambers "Late Ketland" would be your best bet for a ready made lock. 

Are you wanting to do an ordinary, export grade lock, or a fine Wogden duelling pistol?

Offline Dale Halterman

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2008, 12:35:29 AM »
This pistol is to be based on a Wogdon dueler of about 1790.

Dale H

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2008, 04:16:12 PM »
Ah, well, then you do want something other than the ordinary variety.  Something from TRS or Blackley's or an otherwise truly custom made lock is in order.

Offline Rolf

• There's more than one way to skin a cat.
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2008, 07:17:37 PM »
Has anybody tried this supplier?
http://www.peterdyson.co.uk/acatalog/Pistols.html

He's got several Wogdon lockplates listed.

Best regards

Rolfkt

Offline Dphariss

« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2008, 11:25:49 PM »
This pistol is to be based on a Wogdon dueler of about 1790.

Dale H

Blackley's has a Wogdon & Barton lock castings circa 1790 both right and left from a SxS pistol. They have sliding safeties and are 3 7/8" long.
The better locks feel different because they have far less friction due to the link type tumbler/mainspring and careful engineering.
When properly done the leverage is such than at full cock there is less pressure than with the cock at rest. This resulted in less pressure on the sear at full cock and made it easier to obtain a good trigger pull. I do not know when this was fully evolved but suspect it was pre-1810 at least. On the later locks this reduction in pressure is very noticeable.

Dan