Author Topic: .69 to .72 caliber smoothbore barrel makers?  (Read 4857 times)

MSUWABBIT

.69 to .72 caliber smoothbore barrel makers?
« on: July 07, 2017, 05:04:19 AM »
Good Evening,
    Aside from Colerain, is there anyone who makes barrels in .69 to .72 calibers from 50 to 60 inches in length?   I am looking to recreate some French military muskets based on items excavated from Fort Rosalie by our archaeologists.  A well known vendor sells kits for these particular muskets, but alas I have found it extremely difficult to get them to answer their phone or emails.  Moreover, items promised and paid for six months ago still have not been delivered.  I am, therefore, am trying to assemble my own kit from scratch for a French Boucanier and 1716 French Grenadier as was carried by French marines prior to the 1729 massacre.

There are vendors who make 20 gauge, lower caliber barrels, but substituting a smaller barrel defeats my purpose of creating the most accurate reproduction possible.  And then there are those who have recommended buying an Indian-made musket.....that no one will know the difference.  I will know the difference, and like many of you, that is sufficient enough reason to purse excellence.   Moreover, so long as reenactors and historical parks continue to purchase gray-market India-made muskets, they undercut American craftsmen like you. 

Offline Daryl

Re: .69 to .72 caliber smoothbore barrel makers?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2017, 08:10:38 AM »
Can't help you with a vendor- however I would stay away from Indian-made-anything!
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V

Offline wattlebuster

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2017, 11:53:02 AM »
Charles Burton. FCI barrels.
Nothing beats the feel of a handmade southern iron mounted flintlock on a cold frosty morning

Offline SingleMalt

• One day I'll be considered a good builder.
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2017, 11:58:06 AM »
Ed Rayl could probably make anything you want.
Never drink whisky that isn't old enough to vote.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."- Plato

"The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2017, 01:49:22 PM »
Bob Hoyt can make a barrel for you.  Nobody out there makes kits for these guns, you've been told a fib.
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

MSUWABBIT

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2017, 07:30:41 PM »

Sitting Fox advertises a boucanier kit, but not in the caliber or length I am looking for.   

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2017, 07:44:29 PM »

Sitting Fox advertises a boucanier kit, but not in the caliber or length I am looking for.   

As you already know, none of those parts are even french, let alone for a buccaneer. ::)
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

MSUWABBIT

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2017, 11:59:05 PM »
Well...now that you mention it.  ;)    Being a new member of this forum, and pretty much a novice on building muzzleloaders, the respectful thing for me to do is to watch, learn, and ask the occasional question until I am familiar with the rules of etiquette around here. 

Offline Joe S.

• the other Joe S.
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2017, 12:51:57 AM »
You can learn a lot from these folks.Some passing thru didn't want to hear the answer,some heard it and didn't like it.Welcome and good luck on your quest

Offline Bill of the 45th

• Gaylord, Michigan
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2017, 03:48:08 AM »
Hey Rabbit, your profile is a bit vague, which MSU are you from.  Look up Alex E. on the forum profiles, and start a chat with him about your wishes.  He's probably the best go to on French guns.  he can guide, and give  you who to contact.  Sitting Fox guns fall well short in the authenticity department.  The long thin barrels required for French guns are a small market, as a number of barrel makers cannot produce barrels that long with their equipment.

Bill
Bill Knapp
Over the Hill, What Hill, and when did I go over it?

MSUWABBIT

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2017, 07:17:08 AM »
Mississippi State University   :)

I am Chief of Interpretation at Natchez National Historical Park and we just opened up Fort Rosalie to the public a year ago.  I have spent countless hours reading archaeological reports from other French sites in the Mississippi Valley as well as corresponding with Rene Chartrand in Canada and other scholars in France so as to get a handle on the arms and equipment carried by French marines in Natchez between 1716 and 1729.  Moreover, I want to make sure that taxpayers dollars are spent frugally, wisely, and with the greatest benefit to the American taxpayer.  Toward that end, I have stayed up night after night trying to source living history items from American craftsmen rather than have it go to some shady arms dealer in Pakistan. 

I want every single dollar we spend on living history items to go toward hard working American craftsmen, not some shady gun dealer who builds copies of muskets in one side of their shop and knockoff Ak-47s for use against our troops in Afghanistan on the other side.    I do not exaggerate.  See this article about illegal gun makers in Darra Adam Khel, PK:  http://www.amusingplanet.com/2014/09/darra-adam-khel-village-of-illegal-gun.html

Thank you for sharing your knowledge with me.   

Offline WadePatton

• Tennessee
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2017, 07:30:40 AM »
Charles Burton. FCI barrels.

If things haven't changed, Charlie is limited to 48" length.

(I know nothing of French guns, just commenting on a fine bbl maker.)
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 07:32:40 AM by WadePatton »
Hold to the Wind

MSUWABBIT

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2017, 07:46:25 AM »
Charlie and I exchanged emails today.  I think he can help me with the shorter barrel.  As for the boucanier, it appears I may have to commission it from scratch since I have not found anyone who makes a walnut stock. 

Again, thank you to all of you for offering advice in these endeavors.   I can assure you it is going toward a good cause in educating the public about our history and the role of firearms in the making of this nation.   

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2017, 03:57:32 PM »
Charlie and I exchanged emails today.  I think he can help me with the shorter barrel.  As for the boucanier, it appears I may have to commission it from scratch since I have not found anyone who makes a walnut stock. 

Again, thank you to all of you for offering advice in these endeavors.   I can assure you it is going toward a good cause in educating the public about our history and the role of firearms in the making of this nation.
I have American black walnut blank if you can't find any. Bob Hoyt will be the man to make your barrel. I'm ordering a 57 3/4" 12 bore from him shortly for a buccaneer I have an order for....I better check and make sure   that walnut isn't ear marked for the buccaneer I'm supposed to build. :o
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 12:13:50 AM by Mike Brooks »

Offline Daryl

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2017, 07:27:28 PM »
Probably a good idea, Mike - LOL
Daryl

"a gun without hammers is like a spaniel without ears" King George V