Author Topic: Cleaning with undersize jag  (Read 4077 times)

54Bucks

Cleaning with undersize jag
« on: April 04, 2010, 05:58:29 PM »
 No doubt most of us have experienced difficulty getting our bores clean when our jags/patch combo are just too small to get into the grooves well. Probably most have spent time searching for a thicker cleaning patch.
 An easier way that I have found is to simply add some newspaper torn slightly smaller than the patch. Then place the newspaper between the jag and the patch. On some guns I've used up to three layers until the combination starts to get the bore actually sqeeeky clean.

Offline T*O*F

Re: Cleaning with undersize jag
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2010, 06:21:02 PM »
No doubt most of us have experienced difficulty getting our bores clean when our jags/patch combo are just too small to get into the grooves well.

I always use the next smaller size jag; ie, 45 for a 50 etc, and two or 3 patches.

If your combo is too tight, then it shoves everything to the bottom when you push it down, resulting in more work.  With a proper jag, it will enter easily and bunch up behind the jag when you pull it out.  This brings all the $#@* OUT of the barrel instead of pushing it into the breech.
Dave Kanger

If religion is opium for the masses, the internet is a crack, pixel-huffing orgy that deafens the brain, numbs the senses and scrambles our peer list to include every anonymous loser, twisted deviant, and freak as well as people we normally wouldn't give the time of day.
-S.M. Tomlinson

Daryl

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2010, 06:26:11 PM »
We use jags that allow 2 patches being used.  A single patch on a larger jag won't get to the bottom of the deeper grooved guns - not well, at least. Using a soft material for cleaning, like flanelett works well.

Never had difficulty with tight combinations pushing anything down causing problems. I want the patch the push everything down and out the vent as flushing in waterin and out is the only way I clean my guns- with tight fitting patches.

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2010, 06:34:43 PM »
Well I'll say it although it is Easter Sunday and everyone should be pious today at least.......... In my book I'd say it should be just the opposite of Sex...... My jag goes in easy and comes out tight (pulling the powder fouling along with it) ::)

54Bucks

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2010, 07:09:37 PM »
 Did not intend to have a competition over the best cleaning method. However I'll continue to rely on a scraper to get to the plug face. Sure seems if you expect to pull everything out with an undersize combo and buched up patch on the out stroke,the bore from the plug face to the end of the jag is not being addressed. And using a water flush on a pinned longrifle is just not something I want to do as a regular cleaning method.

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2010, 02:22:22 AM »
Did not intend to have a competition over the best cleaning method. However I'll continue to rely on a scraper to get to the plug face. Sure seems if you expect to pull everything out with an undersize combo and buched up patch on the out stroke,the bore from the plug face to the end of the jag is not being addressed. And using a water flush on a pinned longrifle is just not something I want to do as a regular cleaning method.
I should have added that b/4 I leave the shoot or range I run down a sloppy oil patch, with the vent or nipple sealed off with a piece of leather under the nipple or a round toothpick be it a vent.    By the time I get to clean the rifle usually the next night since the oil protects the bore til then no sweat, that breech face fouling is snotty soft.  Then a doubled over patch goes in the bore on a worm (fittted to a seperate rod since I'm lazy) and the breech plug face wiped clean - easy! I then do the bore cleaning routine and finished.   :)

northmn

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2010, 02:51:44 AM »
Not arguing with any of the techniques, but if you use a smaller jag make sure you have a patch puller thingey.  Hard to be pious when the cleaning patches stay in the breech.

DP