Author Topic: Siler Locks  (Read 6417 times)

Offline PIKELAKE

Siler Locks
« on: September 02, 2008, 12:24:00 AM »
Might anyone know where Wanye Dunlap gets the Siler locks he includes in his rifle parts set? Because today is a holiday, I doubt I could get an answer directly from him. This has been bothering me for a couple of days and tomorrow is a long way off. I might be out of cell phone range for a couple of days and any help would be great.   Thanks     JZ
JOHN ZUREKI

northmn

Re: Siler Locks
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 01:00:55 AM »
Siler locks are available from Jim Chambers.  I noticed on his price list he offers volume discounts.  They can be purchased from about any ML builders supply center.

DP

Offline RobertS

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 01:08:29 AM »
This brings up something I have wondered about, but didn't really know how to ask.  I hope this isn't controversial, but I am new at this, and I know that you can buy the kit and assemble the lock, but there's more to it that just putting the parts together.  Would there be any reason to think that the Siler locks you buy directly from Jim Chambers are better, or maybe more carefully assembled, than those bought from some of the other suppliers of Siler locks?  Or is the quality of the "assembled" Siler lock pretty consistent regardless of the source?  Thanks in advance for answers or opinions.

northmn

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2008, 01:32:24 AM »
While you could ask Jim or Barbie.  I think that the same locks are sent out to suppliers as those he assembles.  I purchased mine from Track of the Wolf and it is very well assembled.  As to kits, I like them, but have a good drill press.  They are good training wheels to learn to tune locks and permit a little modification for an experienced builder.  Also if you screw up (never admit it) you can get replacement parts easily.

DP   

Offline PIKELAKE

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2008, 01:48:14 AM »
I guess I did'nt make myself  clear enough. I know you can get Siler locks from Jim and Barbie, they own the company. I was wondering if Wayne gets his locks already made up from Jim or does he get the kits and build's them himself or has them built by a jobber?. If you buy a lock built thru Jim you can be assured that it will perform. If you buy a lock built by someone else "sometimes " they are not up to par.  L. Rice builds good locks also.
JOHN ZUREKI

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2008, 02:04:51 AM »
LC builds the Chambers locks.

I don't know but suspect the Dunlap kits have locks directly from Jim Chambers. If I remember correctly you can tell locks that are assembled by Chambers folks from others by the shape of the tumbler screw. Knowing that, I just looked at the tumbler screw on my Dunlap Isaac Haines kit rifle and its exactly the same shape as the ones on a Siler that I got directly from Jim. Hope that helps.

Oh BTW the Siler on my Dunlap kit rifle sparks great, flints last a long time and the lock is as smooth as any standard lock I have ever used.
Dennis
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 02:27:53 AM by Dennis Glazener »
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Dave B

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2008, 02:23:40 AM »
pinelake,
I cant say about this now but There were several suppiers that had their own assemblers of Siler lock kits. Not all assemblers are equal. The best thing to do is look that lock over critically as to fit and finish. Are the tolerances  up to par? How is the fit of the pan. Will the  lock fire with out a sticking frizzen etc. This all can be checked first hand when your right there looking. but its a $#@* shoot when you mail order or on line. Good luck

Dave B
Dave Blaisdell

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2008, 02:30:16 AM »
RobertS,

In answer to your question about the quality of assembled Siler locks...
For the greatest piece of mind; I'd go with a Chambers assembled lock or you could be getting a "pig in a poke".  There are some assemblers out there who are definitely top notch.  Walter Cain comes to mind. But unless your dealing with someone with a proven track record who backs their work like Jim does, why gamble?
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

Offline Jim Chambers

« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2008, 03:49:04 AM »
To answer the initial question, Dunlap does buy his locks directly from us and has been doing that for the past two or three years.  Previously, he purchased his locks from one of the many assemblers of Siler locks.
Dennis is correct when he said we use a different hammer screw on the locks we assemble.  Rather than being square on top with the flat side bevel we use a domed screw.  That is the easiest way to identify a Siler lock that was sold as an assembled lock from us.  The only other assembler that uses that special screw is Walter Cain.  We allow him to use it because we are proud to stand behind any lock that Walter assembles.  The same can't be said for many of the other assemblers.
In addition to Dunlap, we supply assembled locks to the following dealers:  Track of the Wolf, Pecatonica, Log Cabin, Dixon's, and some to Troy Rupp.  MBS, TVM (both), Dixie Gun Works, Tim Curtis (Frontier Shop), and R.E. Davis Co. purchase kits from us and do their own assembly.  We also sell lock kits to hundreds of individuals around the country who like to make their own lock.  The castings are all the same quality, but the assembler can make either a silk purse or a sow's ear out of those parts.
L.C. Rice (founder and former owner of L&R Lock Co.) now works for us full time assembling locks and does a fantastic job.  In addition, we have Homer Sales, Bob Ray, Tom Simmons, Kyle Ayers, and now Bud Siler himself assembling our locks on a part time basis.

Hope this clears up things and gives an overview of Siler locks.

Offline RobertS

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2008, 06:12:02 AM »
First, I want to apologize to Pinelake for hi-jacking his thread, though it wasn't intentional.  Thanks to Jim Chambers for the very informative response regarding the issue of Siler locks and their assembly, as well as the others who responded.

northmn

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2008, 03:58:59 PM »
Thanks Jim, typical of what happens when I speculate, I should learn to keep my mouth shut.   Can't imagine why a supplier would want to build their own, looking at the price difference between an assembled and a kit.  I do so because a few dollars saved here and there help with the hobby, but from an hourly cost standpoint do not think it really pays if I were to make wages.

DP