Author Topic: Turning Saw  (Read 630 times)

Online Greg Pennell

Turning Saw
« on: March 03, 2024, 03:11:31 PM »
Here’s another project made of gunstock scraps. This one is a copy of an 18th century turning saw (bow saw)…basically a large coping saw made for cutting tight curves. This one is made for 12” blades, which along with the blade hardware I got from Gramercy Tools (www.toolsforworkingwood.com).  I made the frame from curly maple scraps.  The handles turned out to have some worm tracks, but I decided to go ahead and use them anyway. Gramercy has free downloadable plans on their website, as well as the hardware for the saw.

Thanks for looking!
Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
Re: Turning Saw
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2024, 03:23:32 PM »
That is fabulous!
Andover, Vermont

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2024, 03:30:18 PM »
Greg,
Neat saw, I have a bunch of curly maple and walnut cut offs, maybe one of these days I could make one of those
! Thanks for posting.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline 19112tap

• Starting Member
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2024, 07:30:34 PM »
Very nice work, I've had one like this on my soon to make list.

Online Greg Pennell

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2024, 05:21:02 AM »
Thanks guys!  I really enjoy making things…and the tools for making things. Now that my workshop is nearly ready to go, I can get into some more serious projects.

Greg
“Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks” Thomas Jefferson

Offline Nordnecker

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2024, 03:00:09 PM »
Very nice. I wish I had a saw like that. Does it cut nicely? Can you sharpen the blade?
"I can no longer stand back and allow communist infiltration, communist indoctrination and the international communist conspiracy to sap and impurify our precious bodily fluids."- Gen Jack T. Ripper

Online Greg Pennell

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2024, 09:06:05 PM »
Yes, it cuts pretty good.  It’s basically a large coping saw (the blades are 12” long). I guess you could resharpen them, but I haven’t tried yet. I have another set of hardware, and eventually will get around to making another, smaller one for standard 5 1/2” coping saw blades…just for cutting the waste on hand-cut dovetails for woodworking.

Greg

Offline TDM

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2024, 02:20:09 AM »
That is one pretty saw! A really nice job.