Author Topic: ok  (Read 5839 times)

long carabine

ok
« on: September 02, 2008, 03:57:14 AM »
 Heres the problem...this 54 cal that I shoot is still shooting low and to the right, no matter what i do. I switched to 3f and she makes a lot of noise and smoke but is not hitting POI at 50 and 25 yards. I am loading spit patch, 530 round ball with 65 granins pf 3f. I was shooting 70 grains but backed her down. Shes hitting about 4 inches low and 3 inches to the right off hand. HELP!!!!! Deer season is fast approaching. Oh yes the barrel is a 44 inch Getz and the bore is bright and shiny. thanks, tim

Offline wvmtnman

Re: ok
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 04:19:25 AM »
Sounds like you need to file a little off the front sight and tap the rear sight to the right a little.  However, first I would settle on a load.  For a 54 caliber, I would shoot somewhere between 75 and 85 grains of FFg, or if using FFFg maybe around 70.  Keep using your .530 roundball and try a pillow tick patch.  If you are trying to sight this in for deer hunting, you want it stick with what you will use to deer hunt with.  Use a patch lube that is not liquid.  (no spit) Lastly, if sighting it in for 50 yards, you want it hitting in the 12 o'clock  position.   
When trying to work up a load, get it in the ball park at 25 yards before moving out.  Also, you dd not want to make any sight adjustments until you can cover a 3 shot group with a quarter at 25 yards.  Once your groups are consistent, then that proves the bugs are worked out. 
                                                               Brian
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 04:20:10 AM by wvmtnman »
B. Lakatos

Daryl

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2008, 04:33:40 AM »
4" low and 3" to the right is typical for a slight flinch with a right handed shooter.  of course, the correction is to stop flinching by practising more.  If the impact is there due to sight postion, merely move the rear sight to the left a tich and file some off the front sight.(lower to front sight to raise elevation - or -  increase rear sight height gets the same response)

As Brian noted, you need a grase or oil soluable to BP fouling for hunting. Spit will rot your bore if it is left in there for a period of time, or used for hunting whenever you hunt.

Changing to an oil or grease will generally raise the velocity over a spit lubed load, but will also require more powder (generally) to get back to as good accuracy as with spit, again increasing velocity.  This has happened in all my rifles except for one.  Velocity is your friend as it flattens trajectory and reduces wind drift. 

Seven

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2008, 05:35:20 PM »
I've seen the same results form a canted rifle.  Sometimes on a rifle with a cheek piece it isn't hard to have the toe of the rifle in further toward your face than the heel.  Which leads to a canted sight picture, which leads to low and right.  -Chad

Leanin Chair

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2008, 07:34:17 PM »
I had the same off hand problem - low and right even though my bench shots were on center.  I turned the screw in on my trigger to lighten the release and solved the problem.  My trigger finger was pulling me off target with the heavy release.

Leanin Chair

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2008, 09:15:22 PM »
4" low and 3" to the right is typical for a slight flinch with a right handed shooter.  of course, the correction is to stop flinching by practising more.  If the impact is there due to sight postion, merely move the rear sight to the left a tich and file some off the front sight.(lower to front sight to raise elevation - or -  increase rear sight height gets the same response)

As Brian noted, you need a grase or oil soluable to BP fouling for hunting. Spit will rot your bore if it is left in there for a period of time, or used for hunting whenever you hunt.

Changing to an oil or grease will generally raise the velocity over a spit lubed load, but will also require more powder (generally) to get back to as good accuracy as with spit, again increasing velocity.  This has happened in all my rifles except for one.  Velocity is your friend as it flattens trajectory and reduces wind drift. 
Good ol Daryl corrected that statement by another earlier poster abt which way to move that rear sight if the ol girl is shootin to the right.... and did it nicely. 

Move the rear sight the way you want the ball to go (and the frt sight the opposite)

Work at her and you will straighten her out!

long carabine

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2008, 11:36:21 PM »
70 grains of FFF put the shots in the kill zone. I did find out that the rifle likes FFF compared to FF. A lot more smoke and noise but the shots are more consistant and a tighter group.   

roundball

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2008, 12:31:46 AM »
I really like Goex 3F for everything I can...fast, clean, and accurate...my .54cal deer hunting load is 90grns with an Oxyoke prelubed wad over the powder...

long carabine

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2008, 01:26:32 PM »
 I used 70 grains of FFF and a very tight patch lubed with beeswax and crisco (salt free of course) and she shot good.

Daryl

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2008, 12:28:27 AM »
I am wondering if criso oil (not shortening) and olive oil might make a good lube.

long carabine

« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2008, 04:11:05 AM »
 Dary, i have used crisco and beeswax mixed 50/50 and got better results than spit patch. Tim