Author Topic: A St. Etienne fusil de chasse  (Read 10099 times)

Offline alex e.

A St. Etienne fusil de chasse
« on: April 13, 2010, 03:54:27 PM »
I thoght I would share this with you all,It something not commonly seen on the boards.This goes to a gentleman in Canada.
To some it looks like another fusil,but there are subtle differences as opposedto one made in Tulle.
Thre parts came from The Rifle Shoppe,[we will not  discuss them at this time :cry: ]

The new owner wanted as if it had been on the frontiers about  10 years,
.62 cal.
43-3/4" barrel ,dimensions as off of an original SE gun
walnut stock, iron trim
Lock copied from an oringinal

Enjoy :D

Uva uvam videndo varia fit

Offline Mike Brooks

• Mike Brooks Gunmaker
Re: A St. Etienne fusil de chasse
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 05:08:57 PM »
The new owner wanted as if it had been on the frontiers about  10 years,
Usefull life expectancy for a Carolina gun used by a NA was figured at about two years. Life was hard on the frontier.
 Nice gun!
NEW WEBSITE! www.mikebrooksflintlocks.com
Say, any of you boys smithies? Or, if not smithies per se, were you otherwise trained in the metallurgic arts before straitened circumstances forced you into a life of aimless wanderin'?

Offline alex e.

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 05:24:18 PM »
Well he took really good care of it ;)

Thanks Mike!

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2010, 07:04:21 PM »
Very nice job.  You can tell when a gun is built by an active shooter...that comb is worked down so it doesn't beat you up. 
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline t.caster

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2010, 07:16:51 PM »
I really like it! Real nice aging, but for 10 yrs. it would have a lot of dings and chips. I know....let the new owner take care of that ;D

BTW, I have always wondered how to pronounce St. Etienne. I have a French Lebel 8mm rifle my uncle brought back from WW1, that was made there in 1894. Can someone spell out the pronunciation?
Tom C.

The other DWS

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2010, 08:50:56 PM »
approximately   Sen- Et-tee-nn.  almost run together in one word with a slight emphasis on the "tee"

NICE work,  of course I'm sorta partial to the French arms used in colonial New France and the subsequent adaptations and modifications done to them.  The more centralized French Mfg and distribution system was so much different from the freely commercial system of England and the English colonies that it had an interesting impact on the development of the arms themselves.

I have heard recently that there is a new book in the works on the Arms of St Etienne with a lot of primary documents and artwork

Offline TPH

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2010, 09:06:44 PM »
I think the pronunciation works out as "San Ehtyen" doesn't it? By the way, beautiful work alexsnr.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 09:08:22 PM by TPH »
T.P. Hern

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2010, 09:14:43 PM »
Good Job Alex,  It looks like we will have something for show and tell at the shoot this weekend.   I think I will be bringing the Brookville Triplets....
Ron
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Offline t.caster

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2010, 09:36:08 PM »
Aw shoot...I liked "Saint Eighteen"!
Tom C.

Offline alex e.

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2010, 09:44:01 PM »
Quote from:

I have heard recently that there is a new book in the works on the Arms of St Etienne with a lot of primary documents and artwork
[/quote

That's who it is for ;)

Thanks guys,It was intersting putting this together,We used a lot of primary documentation.Plus castings and parts taken from originals is cool.Now the stock came preshaped from TRS,it was not bad,lets just say that Fred Miller has spoiled me in that department,they need  to address some layout issues ,mainly in the breech,RR,and lock area.But I am happy with the end results.
Thank you all for the kind words,Alex

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2010, 11:07:17 PM »
Aw shoot...I liked "Saint Eighteen"!

Tom,

Thats what we call 'em down here..........
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

The other DWS

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2010, 12:33:52 AM »
I 'magine there is/was a whole bunch of subtly different ways to pronounce it, depending on the location and the time.  betcha French Caribbean Louisiana Creole would have said it different from an 18th century Acadian which would vary from that of a Quebecois which would have been different from a western plains Metis; and of course the inhabitants of the town in France where the arsenal would have disparaged all of them with terminal disdain.

I got my pronunciation from Rene' Bouchard when he corrected me at one of the Fur Trade Conferences,  and I wasn't about to quibble with him

Offline TPH

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2010, 06:11:02 PM »
I 'magine there is/was a whole bunch of subtly different ways to pronounce it, depending on the location and the time.  betcha French Caribbean Louisiana Creole would have said it different from an 18th century Acadian which would vary from that of a Quebecois which would have been different from a western plains Metis; and of course the inhabitants of the town in France where the arsenal would have disparaged all of them with terminal disdain.

I got my pronunciation from Rene' Bouchard when he corrected me at one of the Fur Trade Conferences,  and I wasn't about to quibble with him

Two good points. The place the French speaker came from will affect how a word is pronounced, variations in dialects being what they are/were. I learned from my Aunt who was "Suisse" (French-speaking Swiss) and that had a lot to do with my pronunciation. And you are correct, who would argue with Monsieur Bouchard?

T.caster, I do like your pronunciation the best.....
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 06:13:31 PM by TPH »
T.P. Hern

Daryl

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2010, 12:19:59 AM »
Looks like  "Senh"  sounding like e (as in a soft S ie: SSS, then soft e, blended with the soft n and soft h[almost nasal]) then soft 2  then tee (as the drink,) then "enh"  same sound as behind the S in Saint -   it would be "senh  e-tee-enh"  tee-enh is one sylable.  The dash is merley to separate the phonetic e's.  comprende'?  yeah, I know. :D
« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 05:08:39 PM by Daryl »

Leatherbelly

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2010, 06:58:50 AM »
Alex,
 Real nice gun.