Author Topic: How about Alvin York comments here?  (Read 5157 times)

Offline Skychief

How about Alvin York comments here?
« on: March 28, 2010, 02:36:36 AM »
You fellas that went to the shoot...can you tell us about it please?

Offline Scott Bumpus

Re: How about Alvin York comments here?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2010, 08:43:39 PM »
Good times and lots of fun!  saturday morning was cold with a heavy frost, over half the shooters waited till the afternoon relay.  This was my fist chunk shoot and I shot lousey.  Had a stiff wind from the left and behind that kept a lot of spiders blown away.  I got my pack of burger and traded for a rayl 50cal  1 5/16" x 50" barrel so look out next year. :o  Camped next to eric hemperly and his dad and friday night around the fire there was good music and good "spring water" to sip on.  Eric shot well and placed high, don't knowhow his dad did.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 08:47:25 PM by Scott Bumpus »
YOU CAN ONLY BE LOST IF YOU GIVE A @!*% WHERE THE $#*! YOU ARE!!

ERH

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2010, 11:08:53 PM »

It was a real good shoot !!! Shot well, came in 8th overall and 2nd in flintlock :) :)  The weather was much better than last year, but Scott was right that wind was a killer on the second ralay but I think u would have froze on the first relay.  The fire was nice and we had a good time telling stories and keeping warm around the fire and made some new friend.  Doesn't get much better then that !!! Not many Pa guys less and less each year. But pleanty of other good people from all around. Can't wait to see how Scott does with that new gun he is going to start.

ERIC HEMPERLY
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 02:33:33 AM by Daryl »

Offline Michigan Flinter

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2010, 02:06:30 AM »
I know of at least ten shooters from Michigan who were there .Paul Griffith took first place again I think this makes at least five times he has won . You have to be there at O dark thirty to get a place for the first group to shoot. Cold and frosty just like we have to pratice in before we come down but no wind in the morning. Shot with the afternoon group and the wind kicked most of our butts . You can't find a better group of folks to hang out with. It was nice to see so many folks from Canada .They sure took home a bunch of beef that you have to cut with a knife but hamburger is good also. It was nice to see the young shooters attend lets try next year to have even more come and shoot.  Eric  D.  Lau  Riverdale Mi.

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2010, 02:11:57 AM »
I see where the measurements are getting back to manageable level, didn't see any of the 3" stuff.    Eric, you did well
representing this part of the country, congratulations.    Any time you finsih in the top ten you have done well.   Did Don
Singer make it to the shoot?   Last time I talked to him it sounded like he was going..........Don

ERH

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2010, 03:00:31 AM »
thank you , and singer was there

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2010, 03:24:52 PM »
I just checked the blot site and saw some pictures posted of the Alvin York shoot.   A good one of Capt. Bob (Roberts)
and Allan Coon.   Haven't seen Capt. Bob in many years, didn't know he was still hanging around these events......Don

California Kid

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2010, 09:49:12 PM »
God I didn't know he was still around. Havn't seen him for 20 years!

bob243

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2010, 08:56:54 PM »
Was my first time shooting a chunk gun match, had a great time.  Got just under 13"   Looking forward to next year.   

Here is a couple random pics

Offline Michigan Flinter

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2010, 12:39:19 AM »
Bob 243  did you shoot in the morning or afternoon? What kind of rifle were you using ? Glad to see another shooter take the plunge and shoot over the chunk. Hope you come back next year.  Eric D. Lau  Riverdale  Mi.

bob243

« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2010, 04:23:07 AM »
Eric;   I shot the first relay.    I was using a Lancaster styled rifle with a 1-1/8 GM 40cal perc. with a brass shader.   It is my fathers, I use it when I go to one of his shoots to shoot the prone buffalo targets.

I built a flinter of my own in a 45cal,  I still had a few minor bugs to work out, I will probably have it there next year.  ;D

William Worth

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2010, 05:19:06 PM »
Doesn't look like anyone dresses up.  I went one year and didn't even place in the top 50...but I did look spiffy if I do say so myself in my tie, vest and pin stripe wool suit. ;D

And it was HOT, really HOT in a wool suit.  

I modeled my rig based on an old family photo from a shoot at our family place in E. KY.  Those people must have always worn white shirts and ties ... ALWAYS!  Even to work in the garden.... :o
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 05:21:38 PM by William Worth »

Offline Scott Bumpus

« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2010, 10:06:19 PM »
Lots of folks were dressed in the 20's garb but had coats on because of the cold.   Doc Willhite won the prize for best outfit, old pinstripe suite. One feller wore just his overalls no shoes no shirt and legs rolled up aka tom sawyer( he shot in the afternoon when it warmed up)
YOU CAN ONLY BE LOST IF YOU GIVE A @!*% WHERE THE $#*! YOU ARE!!

Offline Dave R

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2010, 06:02:16 AM »
Have all of the results been posted yet on the net?If so where?

Militant_Hillbilly

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2010, 06:21:33 AM »
Mel Hankla has posted them on his site in the past but I haven't seen this year's results yet or last year's either.