Author Topic: "Best" Book  (Read 7873 times)

Offline B. Hey

"Best" Book
« on: April 17, 2010, 01:13:51 AM »
It's been quite some time since I last posted. Feels good to be back. My question: What is, in your opinion, the best building book available these days ... flintlock builder. Thanks for your time and reply ... Bill

Offline Roger Fisher

Re: "Best" Book
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2010, 01:22:15 AM »
If new to building - Dixon's Book

If been building several then - Pete Alexander's Gunsmith of Grenville County - more
detailed....

Offline Nate McKenzie

• Luzerne Co. PA
    • Nathan McKenzie Gunmaker
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2010, 04:21:18 AM »
Also, Recreating the American Lonfrifle by Wm. Buchele. There are also some very good videos such as those by Homer Dangler or Hershel House.

Offline smylee grouch

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2010, 04:48:55 AM »
All three of the formentioned books should be required reading, each covers something that the others dont. I know you asked for one but all three are what you need, beginer or advanced builder in MHO.  Gary

Offline dogcreek

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2010, 05:32:12 AM »
I'd get a copy of Recreating the American Longrifle by Buchele, Shumway and Alexander. Wonderful reference work!

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2010, 08:30:06 AM »
I agree with Nate and dogcreek, Recreating the America Longrifle by Shumway, Buchele and Alexander is the way to go.
DMR
« Last Edit: April 17, 2010, 08:30:58 AM by David Rase »

Offline D. Taylor Sapergia

• Member 3
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2010, 06:34:26 PM »
When I started into this fascinating past time, I bought a copy of Buchele's/Shumway's book "Recreating the American Longrifle".  It alone provided all the information I needed to make my first 80 or so longrifles and guns.  Then came this website!!  I agree that the info in Dixon's book is good, but the art is poor, IMHO.  Alexander's art, in his "Gunsmith of Grenville County", is much much better.

Buchele's book is all you need, but not all you will want.
D. Taylor Sapergia
www.sapergia.blogspot.com

Art is not an object.  It is the excitement inspired by the object.

Offline B. Hey

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2010, 09:39:52 PM »
Thanks for all the comments. To my dismay, Alexander's book is out of print. Anyone know where I might find one? I have Recreating ... Again, thanks for your help

nc_cooter

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2010, 02:41:07 AM »
Bill, Kings Mountain National Military Park had 2 in their Museum store last week end. I am pretty sure they will ship. Just Google and get the phone #.
Mike

Offline B. Hey

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2010, 03:20:49 AM »
Thanks for the info, Mike. I'll call them tomorrow ... Bill

Offline G-Man

• Member 3
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2010, 05:55:28 PM »
I'd add one more that I feel is the best bang for the buck to give you a clear picture of how everything fits together, and the order to proceed -

"Building the Kentucky Rifle" by Jim Johnson.  Softcover, still available, I think $10 or under, from Log Cabin Shop, MBS, etc.  Excellent, clear drawings and concise text. 

If it were me, I'd go with a simple book about building, and invest the bigger money on a book with photos of originals in the style I am interested in -  RCA, Kindig, Dr. Whisker's books, etc. 

I would also seek out someone who lives near you who has built a few and can help you with your first build.  Or at least go to some shows and bring your work along and ask good builders for advice - you will find a five minute conversation with someone like Jim Chambers in person can open your eyes to a lot of things that will make your project go more smoothly and come out better in the end.

Good luck

Guy

Mike R

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2010, 09:23:03 PM »
I have three books on building longrifles [including the Alexander and Buchele, but not the Dixon].  If I was starting out from scratch, I believe I'd need more.  Back when I started to build [a short 'career'] I got a mentor who knew what he was doing--that is the best way to learn. For 'kit guns' [including the high class ones like Chambers], the books listed are more than enough. If you start with a block of wood [no precarve], you have to set up/align alot of stuff and hands on help is very advisable...

Offline Mark Elliott

• Mark Elliott  Artist & Craftsman
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2010, 07:11:52 AM »
Peter Alexanders book The Gunsmith of Grenville County is by far the most comprehensive available.   It pulls in the content of earlier books such as Recreating the American Longrifle.    Dixons book is sort of the Cliff Notes of gun building.   I have them all and found all useful in one way or another.    If you could only buy one, i would go with The Gunsmith of Grenville County.    As to it being out of print, I just check Scurlock's web site and it was listed.  The also have the Dixon book, Recreating the American Longrifle, and all the DVDs I mention below as well as lot of other essential reading.

http://store.scurlockpublishing.com/gunbuilding.aspx

I found Hershel House's two videos on building a Kentucky Rifle very useful in putting the stuff in the books in context.   

Once you have built a gun or two, you need to get Mark Silvers video on how to build a rifle using traditional hand tools. 

Mark E

DTCoffin

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2010, 12:37:39 PM »
I have 3 books ,Dixons, Recreating the American longrifle by Wm. Buchele, The Gunsmith of Grenville county.
 IMO the best one for someone starting is Recreating the American longrifle by Wm. Buchele.
The other are nice and helpful but Dixons might have been a little "vague " for a newbie and Peters book as nice as it is, seemed to be very overcomplicated , a very thorough book written by a school teacher  ;D.If I had failed a class, it wouldn't have been because he was a lousy teacher !

Offline Larry Luck

• Administrator
  • Larry Luck
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2010, 02:58:56 AM »
Alexander's book is my go-to source.  Gunsmithing Tips and Projects (a bunch of articles by John Bivins and others) is a great supplement.
Larry Luck