Author Topic: Henny Youngman, Gunsmith  (Read 3929 times)

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
Henny Youngman, Gunsmith
« on: May 10, 2010, 01:15:05 AM »
I just filed a rifle barrel, and boy, are my arms tired!  Seriously, folks.

I had a barrel that was a little heavier than I wanted, so I thought I'd reshape it a bit to suit me better.  Well, probably about 8 hours of filing yesterday.  Oh, man did my hands hurt.  Bad.  Just sore today.  If I did that kind of workout every day, I could put Chuck Norris in a headlock.   Oh, man, it hurts to type!  Maybe I shouldn't go like this....

I've been wanting to do this gun for some time.  This is a straight rifled barrel, and it's going to be doubly unusual since I'm putting into an ash stock.  Nice, German-looking gun.

Concurrently, I'm doing a cherry stocked smoothbore "early Lehigh" gun.  And I have a dulcimer to fix....

I'll be appearing all this week at Zanie's, nightly at 8:00.
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
Re: Henny Youngman, Gunsmith
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 02:43:13 AM »
....and how will you appear?

a puff of smoke and ......Poof!

or with guitar in hand?

or....

in wooden shoes?

And I understand your mania to get the barrel you want.
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2010, 02:56:51 AM »
Definitely not wooden shoes...I'm hurtin' enough already... :'(
When a reenactor says "They didn't write everything down"   what that really means is: "I'm too lazy to look for documentation."

TinStar

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2010, 04:00:50 AM »
Any pics of the early Lehigh Stophel?

Mt wife was down in Allentown last week for a memorial service for her aunt. Her Dad's(deceased) side of the family were from Germany and settled in Lehigh, Northampton, Berks, and Lancaster Counties as far back as 1730. We have a copy of the family history and none of them were "professionals" such as docs or lawyers. Almost all of them were tradesmen with the exception of some farmers. The tree is a little sketchy; but some were blacksmiths. Could not find any recorded gunsmiths; but like I said the tree was sketchy. It's amazing to see all those German names.

TinStar
Soli Deo Gloria!

Offline Stophel

• Chris Immel
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2010, 06:20:41 AM »
Nope, I just have the barrel inlet and the rod channel cut, and the basic profile cut in the blank.  I don't even have the lock built yet, just the plate shape and pan and frizzen fitted.

Offline littlefat

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2010, 02:17:29 PM »
"I married Mrs. Right , first name Always. My brother Married Mrs. Wrong  first name Never"  ;D   Henny Youngmen. RIP