Author Topic: Comments on barrel profiles (Split off the Rice barrel topic by Dennis)  (Read 2675 times)

jwh1947

Anything from the base up that is sleek interests me at my age.  The barrel, being the "heart" of a gun, is of paramount concern.  Give me a slender barrel and I will give you a svelte product.

My personal opinion...the pieces of some noted makers are too bulky.  They look like logs on the wall, are well made, by people much more adept than me at carving, but too big.  I would judge them, if I were the judgmental sort, as "needs to see original guns and lighten up, overall," but, in some cases the builders of these logs are the judges of special events.  Just had to retort to Brooks' entirely appropriate comments; that's another thing, the judges at "events" often disagree with "what is best."  So, how do they evaluate your gun?  That's why cartel gunsmiths congregate at Fogelsville Hotel and drink beer and laugh and enjoy life.  That's the highlight of the "convention." All welcome, next year.  We keep selling guns, regardless of what they say.

Another thing.  There are two distinct kinds of gunsmiths in these parts...always have been.  There are the masters who can crank out jewelery-quality work, consistent with proper history, and do it well.  Then there the are the rest of us, including the Gonzo shop.  I have never had to advertise but never competed against the artists, as there are enough shooters/hunters in PA to keep an average bloke busy without making pieces that present as a Parisian paramour.  My happiness comes from knowing that there ain't nobody out there having any more fun building guns than we are.

Prospective customers need to accept that I am now retired and only hired here as a consultant,  and the girls are tied up for 3 months on orders.  I am my own consultant and getting paid for it.  The dumber I get, the more I charge myself.  And let me further add, if the IRS complains, I plan to represent myself in a court of law; then I will appeal on the base of  "misrepresentation of counsel."  Ms. Vicki says it is "unfigurableoout" a term she also uses at the mall when I ask about the bottom line on the charge.   All the best.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2010, 09:44:54 PM by Dennis Glazener »

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
Re: New Rice barrel profile offers use of low profile sights
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2010, 03:27:34 AM »
The Jacob Kuntz in the Met is one of the sleekest guns I know, yet it has quite a big barrel, 1" across the flats. This is imperceptibly swamped, discernible only by caliper.

So the slim does not come from using a small barrel, it comes from using less wood.

I don't know how Jacob fit all those elements together and kept the rifle so sleek. This is where the master part comes in. Many can decorate, but few can really architect a gun as well as Jacob.

Tom
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

jwh1947

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2010, 03:55:23 AM »
What's on my mind is a violin or a guitar.  If made correctly, a headbanger musician can whack one around and still make music.  I find myself taking off forestock, partaking of Rakija, then taking off more.  Then conferring with my staff and taking off more.  That's the normal Gonzo routine.  Then I often draw off more at the ramrod channel and take the sides down more.  I've seen Rupps that had less than mine, but I am not that good.

Here is how I was taught.  Though we may see it as aesthetically appealing, the front wood was on originals for one purpose only...to hold the thimbles.  The barrel supports the wood, not the other way around.  Slim it down.  You will be astounded at how much that adds to attraction of the finished rifle.  Yes, some Berks were "balloony" and you have to allow for some regional variance, but most originals had a beautiful, graceful architecture.  At least in PA.  Can't vouch for those southern tree trunks.  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2010, 04:08:30 PM »
When you talk about barrel sizes, I have looked at a lot of J. P. Beck rifles and, while Beck's appear to be a big gun, most
of them have a barrel with a breech size under an inch.   The old standard light that John can do, and the new one that
Rice is contemplating, would make a great barrel for a lot of those golden age guns.  This barrel would also work great in
a Lehigh..............Don