Author Topic: Marietta Georgia.  (Read 4531 times)

Offline northup87

Marietta Georgia.
« on: May 10, 2010, 09:01:14 PM »
Im at Nasa training for a couple weeks in Marietta and was wondering if there are any local builders, Neat museum peices to take a look at and or  just fun things to do in the area... Thanks guys
A.J. Downey

Offline SCLoyalist

Re: Marietta Georgia.
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 10:34:40 PM »
If interested in the War Between the States, the Cyclorama in Atlanta's Grant Park and the Museum of Southern Locomotive History(or something like that)   in Marietta/Kennesaw.  The museum, I believe, houses the locomotive "General" of Great Locomotive Chase fame  might be of interest, or the Kennesaw Mtn Battlefield.  The other locomotive, "TEXAS", from the chase, used to be at the Cyclorama - don't know if it's still there or not.

If you had the foresight to take shooting gear with you to Marietta, there's a silhouette shoot up in Baldwin GA this weekend hosted by Blue Ridge Mtn Men.

Here's a link to a list of other museums that pertain to things like the Cherokee culture in the area:

http://roadsidegeorgia.com/site/kcwm.html   (you'll have to scroll down a bit).

Enjoy.   SCL

Offline HIB

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 01:38:41 AM »
Just to add to the first few responses: Cyclorama is a must see. You'll probably stay for two shows.  There is a fairly new Western Art Museum north of Marietta off I-75 that will surely impress you and anyone you take with you.  Also, if you have a rental car you can spend a day a little further north at the Chicamauqua battlefield.  The museum there houses the Fuller collection of antique arms and is worth a visit. There are a number of builders in the area but it is best for them to respond to you directly. The collectors in the area are fairly private and will be out off pocket this weekend at the NRA show in Charlotte, NC.  There's a thought but you'll need a 4 hour desire to be belted in and the same coming back.  Both the KRA and CLA will have a booth at the show. Lodging is tight so if you go stay on the out skirts of the city.    HIB

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 04:47:15 AM »
NorthUP87, welcome!!
How long will you be in Marietta? I live in Marietta, but I am swamped til Friday at work..still at it tonight. Send me a PM if you want.
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2010, 05:12:02 PM »
The Atlanta History Center in the Buckhead area of Atlanta has some GA made rifles/gunmaker tools on display. They are in the "Folk Life" section.

I was there to photo the boys rifle and tools James Gillespie that are also on display. I was in a hurry to get finished and didn't look at the others but as well as I remember there were several other rifles etc on display. I would like to go back when I have more time to see what all they have.

http://www.atlantahistorycenter.com

Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

longhunter1757

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2010, 09:01:15 PM »
Not sure what direction you're heading home and a bit off topic but the Mighty Eight Air Force Museum is in Savannah. This is of course assuming you're into WW II.
My family and I stopped there a few years ago and it is a great museum.

Rich Baker

jrice

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2010, 05:30:32 AM »
Visit Pat Rabun at Deer Creek Gun Shop in Marietta. Opposite corner from the Cobb County Civic Center.
Jerry Rice

Offline Darkhorse

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2010, 05:26:09 PM »
Check out the Chickamauga national battlefield and museum. It's not a long drive from Marietta but worth the trip. It's been a few years since I've been but my son told me that they had added a lot of old rifles to the museum. He specifically mentioned flintlocks. He knows what they are but I want to go see for myself.
American horses of Arabian descent.