Author Topic: casting butt piece at Martin's Station gun shop  (Read 3032 times)

Offline AndyThomas

casting butt piece at Martin's Station gun shop
« on: September 08, 2008, 04:43:01 AM »
Memorial Day weekend the Gun Shop at Martin's Station opened, with me as the volunteer gunsmith. I'm usually there Sunday's, Wednesday's, and Friday's. About a week ago, we made our first sand casting, a butt piece for the rifle which is being built there.

Those that stopped by the Martin's Station table at the CLA show saw the rifle in it's present form, basically a block of sugar maple with a Rice Virginia barrel, a Chambers round-face English lock, and a trigger installed in it.

Martin's Station is a 1775 settlement, including a small fort, at Wilderness Road State Park in Virginia, about 8 miles east of Cumberland Gap. For more info see: www.martinsstation.com

We have decided to make the sand casting of some rifle mounting a regular feature of our Muster weekends, the 2nd full weekend each month, April through November. This coming Sunday, Sept 14, we will be casting a guard for our rifle project. See the website for a schedule of events.

I have put a series of photos on Photobucket that show the casting of the butt piece. You can find it at:

http://s498.photobucket.com/albums/rr347/FlintlockAndy/CastButtPiece/

The pics are in reverse order, so if you start at the bottom and back up you'll get them in the proper sequence.

Andy
formerly the "barefoot gunsmith of Martin's Station" (now retired!)

www.historicmartinsstation.com

Offline Clark Badgett

• Oklahoma
Re: casting butt piece at Martin's Station gun shop
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2008, 06:47:35 AM »
Ah yes. One of my long time interest has been metal casting. I plan on starting the experiments shortly after my return home. Lower temp stuff first until I get decent and comfortable with it and then the brass and bronze will follow.
Psalms 144