Author Topic: lock making?  (Read 6855 times)

Tomegad

lock making?
« on: May 18, 2010, 05:26:26 AM »
If a guy wanted to make a lock what sources would the gentleman of the forum suggest? I have a forge and a machine shop.

coutios

Re: lock making?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2010, 05:40:42 AM »
  A good "read" if you can find it is Volume 1 . " Journal of Historical Armsmaking Technology" A member of this board ( Gary Brumfield ) was the author on lock making .. The series contained 5 volumes covering different subjects, ALL a good read....   Never had the desire myself.. Best of luck...

Regards
Dave

derringermike

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010, 07:31:15 AM »
will follow this post as I am ( have been) trying to build my own percussion back action lock,with some sucess. where would one find a copy of the journal?

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2010, 07:50:16 AM »
Try Dixie Antique Arms.  I believe I saw copies in one if their booths at the Western National. 

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2010, 03:06:58 PM »
Also search Amazon, or ABE books.

There is much to learn way beyond book reading will tell you. Be prepared for a long learning curve. I have only made a few parts, and cannot believe how much the parts inter-depend and rely on each other not only in hardness and temper but in geometry, fit and finish. Everything needs to be just so. Only by building will you learn all the nuances necessary to make a fully functional lock. You will make many 'spare' parts along the way....

As I said, I have made some parts. But not a complete lock yet. This is something I'd like to do, too.

Tom
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline TPH

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2010, 04:01:07 PM »
There are 6 available on Amazon.com right now:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000HHJNOU/ref=dp_olp_0?ie=UTF8&redirect=true&qid=1274187360&sr=1-1&condition=all

Check carefully, 3 of the 6 are later - Vol. 2, 3 & 4 - but the dealers will answer any inquiries concerning what they have. All are worth having.

T.P. Hern

Offline David Veith

• davids painting
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2010, 04:01:49 PM »
You might look at doing a mule ear or side slaper same name. I haven't made one but a friend has made a few. A little easyer and would be a great learn one. +1 on what Acer said
David veith
David Veith

Offline J. Talbert

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2010, 04:13:49 PM »
Another approach might be to start by assembling a lock from castings.
Chambers kits come with excellent directions and the holes are all spotted to start.  On the other hand,  a plain set of castings from The Rifle Shoppe, or (I would recommend) from Jack Brooks, will give you a little more of a challenge for your first attempt.  This would be a way to get a taste of what your in for should you decide to attempt the whole process from scratch,  and you'll hopefully have a nice lock when your finished.

Jeff
There are no solutions.  There are only trade-offs.”
Thomas Sowell

warmutt

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2010, 05:45:18 PM »
"Reacreating The Double Barrel Muzzleloading Shotgun" by Wiliam R. Brockway has chapters on building both flint and percussion locks. Track of the Wolf has the book in stock and priced at $38.50.

This website has an example of assembling a manton flintlock from cast parts http://www.ctmuzzleloaders.com/ctml_experiments/mantonlock/mantonlock.html

TPH, thankyou for posting the Amazon link for the Journal of Historic Armsmaking

Offline P.W.Berkuta

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2010, 06:32:10 PM »
If you have a machine shop and know your equipment then it should be a simple matter of making the parts. The difficulty lies in fitting the parts to work together properly. I would suggest (as others have) buy a kit - study it - copy it - and tune it and you will start to understand how each part works in relationship with the others and as a whole assembly. Many years ago when the Japanese started to produce products for sale in the US they would acquire the object,  copy it then improve it, refine it, and end up with a product far better than the original. Their is no mystery to making a lock - just making a GOOD lock - jump in and "Get er Done" -- it's the only way you are going to learn!
"The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person who is doing it." - Chinese proverb

dannybb55

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2010, 01:01:45 AM »
When you buy a set of castings, get lots of "spares", also What Would Eric Kettenberg Do? Isn't that a bumper sticker?

Offline bob in the woods

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2010, 05:25:08 AM »
I have made one lock;  well , almost....I made everything but the tumbler. I used a Siler tumbler.
The rest was cut and file to fit. Springs were a great learning lesson. Mainly how to deal with extreme frustration!  Bending and filing and heat treating. Paper/cardboard patterns are very helpful.
The lock took a lot of work tweeking everything to get it to work well.I'm in no hurry to do it again.
Now , when I get an urge to be creative I'll just  purchase a Chambers gunmakers lock.

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2010, 05:14:37 PM »
I have made one lock;  well , almost....I made everything but the tumbler. I used a Siler tumbler.
The rest was cut and file to fit. Springs were a great learning lesson. Mainly how to deal with extreme frustration!  Bending and filing and heat treating. Paper/cardboard patterns are very helpful.
The lock took a lot of work tweeking everything to get it to work well.I'm in no hurry to do it again.
Now , when I get an urge to be creative I'll just  purchase a Chambers gunmakers lock.

Buy a low end bench lathe as from harbor freight or such and you can make tumblers too. If you can get a complex tumbler casting as a pattern so much the better if doing late locks.

If you can get good tumblers that are proper for your use making lock plates from 1/8 cold rolled 1018 and welding on pans is an easy way to get started.
Most cast springs leave a lot to be desired. Even those cast from original good springs are "flat" and lazy and need to be rearched. This often requires a complete heat treat if they cannot be bent at blue heat.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine