Author Topic: Went to Jim Gordon's museum  (Read 5559 times)

Offline Roger B

• You wouldn't have a snack, would you?
Went to Jim Gordon's museum
« on: May 26, 2010, 01:43:44 AM »
Went last weekend while I was in the Taos area & took a side trip to Glorieta.  Mr.
Gordon was very accomodating & allowed me to take all the pictures I wanted.  The place is great because the firearms are not behind glass & can be handled (with permission).  I got to shoulder Ruxton's rifle as well as Tom Tobin's & Mario Modina's Hawkens.  That brings history home in a big hurry.  The Ruxton rifle is interesting in it's "buckhorn" express sights & "patched" buttstock to apparently accomodate a crescent buttplate.  Also has a multigroove barrel.  Ruxton was apparently about my size (5'9") as the rifle fit me well.  Many of the other rifles he has on display are in his book.  I wonder about one of the Leman's, though.  Another thing is that most of the Lemans did no have crowned muzzles.  Was that common?
Roger B.
Never underestimate the sheer destructive power of a minimally skilled, but highly motivated man with tools.

Offline debnal

Re: Went to Jim Gordon's museum
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2010, 06:14:09 AM »
I have been there also. I highly recommend a visit to anyone who can get there. Jim is a great guy and everyhting is available to be fondled. A rare type of museum. Has something for everyone.
Al

Sean

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2010, 06:17:16 AM »
Roger,

Great place, ain't it.

Sean

Offline mr. no gold

• member 2
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2010, 07:34:38 AM »
Jim's museum is everything that has been written here, and more. Just as impressive are all of the Buck Roger's ray guns, the Daisy BB guns and, well, you name it: it's there.
Roger, while you were there in Santa Fe, I hope that you took the opportunity to go to the Masonic Hall to see Kit Carson's last Hawken Rifle. It is nearly new, and is unbelievable.
The Lodge Master is very pleased to show it, providing he has enough lead time. And, it too can be held and admired; no drooling though.
Dick

Offline Roger B

• You wouldn't have a snack, would you?
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2010, 09:51:33 PM »
I wish I had had the time to see the Carson rifle.  Maybe next time.  A few years back a former curator of the Cody Museum took me to their vaults & let my boy & I see/hold the liver eater's Hawken & a few other guns including the famous "Hawken(s)" pistol from John Baird's original book.   It's a really good thing that these rifles belong to someone else because I would be tempted to shoot any of them that were shootable. 
Roger B.
Never underestimate the sheer destructive power of a minimally skilled, but highly motivated man with tools.

Offline John Archer

• I solemnly swear that I am up to no good
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2010, 01:21:00 AM »
I wonder about one of the Leman's, though.  Another thing is that most of the Lemans did no have crowned muzzles.  Was that common?
Roger B.

Very common for Leman and Hawken rifles. All of the images of originals that I have seen have no crowns.

John.
I cannot be left unsupervised.
(Sent from my immobile dial-operated telephone)