Author Topic: patch grease recipes?  (Read 13139 times)

Offline bob in the woods

Re: patch grease recipes?
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2010, 05:33:23 PM »
I make my own lube , using deer tallow and beeswax, start with about 70 /30 and adjust from there.
I also use straight bear oil. The bear oil is real slick, and Iuse it on my locks as well.
Or, you could just order some mink oil lube from Track of the Wolf.  It works well too.

Offline RonT

« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2010, 06:16:31 PM »
IIRC, my mix was a little stiifer...maybe in the <80/20 range to assure that it didn't run out of the hole in Ohia Summer heat.  Was primarily for looks anyhow.  This rifle is a .375 smoothie, btw.

Spes Mea in Deo Est

Offline Jerry V Lape

« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2010, 02:58:42 AM »
My hunting lube is real easy to duplicate.  I use the same commercial  lube I have for my black powder cartridge rifle - SPG.  I  rub it heavily into the outside of the patching.  Doesn't wet the powder, and enables easy loading with tight patch and ball combos.  Works good hot or cold weather.   I think it is beeswax plus other household stuff - maybe crisco or a cooking oil.   

Offline Curt Lyles

• Curt’s Blacksmith Shop
    • Curt's Blacksmith Shop
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2010, 05:43:26 AM »
Dennis,

Yes I do have some bear grease, also bear oil, rendered deer tallow, beeswax, castor oil and jojoba oil.  I'll try to dig through the freezer and see how much I've got left on the grease and tallow, but I've got plenty of the other oils that I mentioned.  For the past 4 or 5 years I've been using a blend of beeswax, castor oil, and bear grease ... like it real well .... I don't seem to get too much fouling in my barrels with it.  But for the grease holes in the mountain rifles, I think I would just use straight deer tallow.  It would work just as well.  In real cold weather I like to grease my patches the day before I use them so the patch and ball don't stick together while you're out in the woods.    Curt    www.cdlyles.com

Offline whitebear

« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2010, 05:59:45 AM »
Dennis,  I will admit that I have never had my hands on an original with a grease hole but here is something I thought of.  Is there a possibility that the slope on the but plate side of the grease hole may have worn in there from years of use with the possibly dirt contaminated grease?
In the beginning God...
Georgia - God's vacation spot

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2010, 01:27:46 AM »
For my cartridge bullets, I have used mutton tallow and beeswax, maybe four parts mutton to one bees.  Wax is NOT a lubricant, just a thickener. The tallow must be rendered, as in heated until liquid, then strained thru cheesecloth. Keeps forever without going rancid.

I also use Olive oil and Beeswax, about 5 to 1.

Tom

Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Offline Stan

• stanhollenbaughgunsmith.com
« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2010, 09:04:21 PM »
In the 18th early 19th centuries on the frontier areas the lube that was most available was venison tallow & bear grease. Bear grease will reduce the venison tallow to a good lube. Venison tallow heated & applied to metal in a liquid form is a great metal protector. Used in England for that purpose in many of the collections .

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2010, 01:30:08 AM »
Dennis,

Yes I do have some bear grease, also bear oil, rendered deer tallow, beeswax, castor oil and jojoba oil.  I'll try to dig through the freezer and see how much I've got left on the grease and tallow, but I've got plenty of the other oils that I mentioned.  For the past 4 or 5 years I've been using a blend of beeswax, castor oil, and bear grease ... like it real well .... I don't seem to get too much fouling in my barrels with it.  But for the grease holes in the mountain rifles, I think I would just use straight deer tallow.  It would work just as well.  In real cold weather I like to grease my patches the day before I use them so the patch and ball don't stick together while you're out in the woods.    Curt    www.cdlyles.com

Curt,
Suspected that you did. Maybe some of these guys will contact you for some of it.
I like the bear grease and beeswax myself but no more than I shoot I have enough for several years of shooting.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Dennis Glazener

• Administrator
    • GillespieRifles
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2010, 01:33:03 AM »
Dennis,  I will admit that I have never had my hands on an original with a grease hole but here is something I thought of.  Is there a possibility that the slope on the but plate side of the grease hole may have worn in there from years of use with the possibly dirt contaminated grease?
No, they were made that way. I will find a couple of photos and post them in a new topic.
Dennis
"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend" - Thomas Jefferson