Author Topic: "need some advice"  (Read 4439 times)

phylrick

"need some advice"
« on: June 07, 2010, 05:53:40 AM »
I am new to the forum and have a question concerning an error I have run into with a mistake on in-letting a Percussion Lock and barrel using a 95% shaped stock that seems to have a bad cut on it. I have laid in the barrel and have found the inlet for the lock is off by 1/8" making the alignment of hammer and nipple impossible. I would like opinions of whether to scrap the piece ($375) or is there a way to correct. Problem I have is not knowing how to attach or preferably insert any pictures to illustrate my problem.I someone would be so kind to ex[lain how I do that I will re-post this and try to be more explicit.

Thanks
Rick S
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 08:59:18 PM by Acer Saccharum »

westbj2

Reply to "need some advice"
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 02:25:54 PM »
Rick,
You appear to have your post configured in some way that does not allow a reply from others.   Also, a search of topics will explain how to post pictures.
As to your problem of barrel/lock relationship and the hammer position.  If the bolster/drum is too far forward, you can simply re-inlet the barrel and tang further back.  If the bolster/drum is too far back already, the simplest fix is to cut the hammer about mid way, remove the appropriate amount of material and weld it back together. This will correct the "fore and aft" problem but you will also want to consider the face of the rebate in the hammer nose so that it is parallel with the top of the nipple on the horizontal axis AND centered on the center-line of the nipple.  This "Squaring" the hammer to the nipple will require the application of heat to the correct place on the hammer and then make the appropriate bend(s).   An acetylene torch with a small tip will allow you to apply intense heat in a small area and control the required bending.
Good luck,
Jim Westberg

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
Re: Need some advice......
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2010, 03:04:57 PM »
Welcome to ALR Rick.

Look here for a tutorial on how to insert photos. You need to upload them to a site like Photobucket or flickr first and then put the url/link/address of the picture in the Image HTML tags. It is simple, you will find that you can do it!!!

Photo Tutorial
http://americanlongrifles.org/forum/index.php?topic=10.0
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 03:06:14 PM by DrTimBoone »
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2010, 04:28:47 PM »
I am new to the forum and have a question concerning an error I have run into with a mistake on in-letting a Percussion Lock and barrel using a 95% shaped stock that seems to have a bad cut on it. I have laid in the barrel and have found the inlet for the lock is off by 1/8" making the alignment of hammer and nipple impossible. I would like opinions of whether to scrap the piece ($375) or is there a way to correct. Problem I have is not knowing how to attach or preferably insert any pictures to illustrate my problem.I someone would be so kind to ex[lain how I do that I will re-post this and try to be more explicit.

Thanks
Rick S

Bend the hammer.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine

Offline Roger Fisher

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2010, 04:58:52 PM »

Thanks
Rick S

Bend the hammer.

Dan
That'l work best with heat

northmn

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 05:15:55 PM »
Ive bent a couple of hammers.  As Roger stated, works best with heat.

DP

Online LynnC

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2010, 06:45:47 PM »
I'm not sure we have all the facts

With the drum screwed in, does it fit in the notch in the lock plate?

If not, theirs more to it........Lynn
The price of eggs got so darn high, I bought chickens......

J.D.

Re: "need some advice"
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2010, 09:28:12 PM »
Though we don't have all of the facts, It sounds like the barrel is either inlet too far back, or not far enough forward.

In the case of the barrel not being inlet back far enough, just remove enough wood behind the barrel to move it back until the bolster drops into the notch in the lockplate.

If the barrel is inlet too far back, cut enough wood from somewhere on the stock to inlet a patch behind the barrel to bring the barrel forward enough to locate the bolster on the notch of the lockplate. If done carefully, The patch will be almost invisible, once the finish is applied.

God bless