Author Topic: Key lugs on round rifle barrel?  (Read 2895 times)

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
Key lugs on round rifle barrel?
« on: June 08, 2010, 05:02:12 AM »
OK, I am working on a gun that uses three keys. The lug for the first goes in the octagon portion and went in fine..... The lugs and captured keys are castings from TRS. So now I need to instal two lugs on the round portion of the barrel. The barrel is 1-1/8" at the breech, .80 at the waist and .81 two inches back from the muzzle. it is a .58 cal Colrain Griffin barrel and close as I can measure it is .58 between the grooves........  So I can make a couple of brass lugs and sweat them to the barrel...............or I can cut dovetails for the TRS lugs....... given the .22-.23 barrel wall thickness.....The dovetail portions of the lugs are .075 thick now............. what would you do?

I am thinking to thin the dovetails a little more and cut .05 slots for them...................but I want to be sure.
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline C Wallingford

• Northern Kentucky
    • CW Knives
Re: Key lugs on round rifle barrel?
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2010, 05:05:12 AM »
I would solder them on. Better safe then sorry.

California Kid

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2010, 05:31:30 AM »
I would make brass or steel lugs and solder them on.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2010, 05:57:38 AM »
I think your thinking right in thinning down the lugs but do it by grinding the middle section from the under side in an arch to match the raidi of the barrel. You then tin the under sides and sweat them on to the barrel then grind down the left over bits to keep the profile low. I guess you could grind them down a head of time then sweat them down.
Dave Blaisdell

Offline David Rase

• If we need it here, make it here. Charlie Daniels
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2010, 06:04:36 AM »
I dovetail all my lugs, both round and octagon.  I only inlet my lugs .030".  I like to dovetail and then solder them on the round portion of the barrel.  Brown Bess barrels were dovetailed and brazed.  One of the positives to dovetailing is that you can get a slimmer forestock since you have eliminated the lug that you solder to.  As for keys, make your own.  The store bought ones are way too thick.  They only need to be 1/16" thick.  You could file the store bought ones down but I just clamp the strip of metal in my vise and peen a head on the key.
DMR