Author Topic: brown bess pan problem  (Read 3083 times)

Offline yip

brown bess pan problem
« on: June 08, 2010, 03:29:14 AM »
  my bess has a groove cut in the pan from igition of powder.my question how can i fix this?the groove is on the inside of the pan,were it meets the barrel. i'm comtemplating using j b weld. any ideas?

Offline Acer Saccharum

• Administrator
    • Thomas  A Curran
Re: brown bess pan problem
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2010, 03:57:00 AM »
Is the groove between the lock and the barrel? You can fit a leather gasket for this problem.

Or is the groove cut by the gasses coming out the vent? This could be welded up and ground smooth again with a dremel.

Tom
Tom Curran's web site : http://monstermachineshop.net
Ramrod scrapers are all sold out.

Michael

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2010, 01:50:42 PM »
Sounds like the touch hole is too low or the lock is too high in the stock.

Michael

Offline Lucky R A

• In Costume
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2010, 02:00:34 PM »
      It sounds like the hot gasses venting through the touch hole is gas cutting away at the lock.  This condition is usually caused by the one of the two reasons Michael said.  If you weld/braze up the lock, eventually the same thing will happen.  Since you are not going to move either the lock or the vent hole, you could simply recontour the pan with a grinding point to a nice smooth contour, slightly lowering the bottom of the pan to the level of the bottom of the gas cut or slightly below.   This is assuming that there is sufficient metal on the bolster to do this.  Make sure that the bolster fits snugly to the side of the barrel to prevent any primer leakage into the lock mortise.  Listen to your lock it is trying to tell you what is wrong...the fix is simple. 
"The highest reward that God gives us for good work is the ability to do better work."  - Elbert Hubbard

Offline Keb

• south Ohio
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2010, 06:16:48 PM »
You also could move the vent hole up by inserting a blank liner (plug) in the old vent hole & drilling it for better alignment with the pan. The plug doesn't have to be any bigger than to cover the old hole & location of new hole.