Author Topic: Does anyone cast this Virginia sideplate ?  (Read 12213 times)

jwh1947

Re: Does anyone cast this Virginia sideplate ?
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2010, 07:10:11 AM »
Just make one.  Start with at least .090 brass, cut it out with a jeweler's file, clean it up and final shape it with a fine file.  Try a #6 blade or coarser...something with some bite.  That will take less time than writing an order letter and taking it to the post office, and much, much less time than trying to get a commercial piece to look right.  And no wait time, backorders, incorrectly picked part, or postage. 

Offline deano

« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2010, 12:41:56 AM »
What thickness is right for a heavily beveled sideplate like for a JP Beck. Will 1/8th brass make this bevel look right?

Ken

Offline Larry Luck

• Administrator
  • Larry Luck
« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2010, 03:08:49 AM »
I don't know the thickness of the original sideplates.  If 1/8 is enough to provide the thickness of the revealed portion, who knows how much was inlet?
I suspect 1/8 is sufficient for the entire thickness.
Larry Luck

Online rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2010, 06:10:39 PM »
I've never seen them thicker than 1/8".  The bevel gives the impression of thickness.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Dphariss

• Kill a Commie for your Mommy
« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2010, 06:24:42 PM »
The hardest part of making one is finding brass of a suitable thickness if you don't have some at hand. Apart from that and keeping your sawblades from breaking, it is an easy piece to make and inlet.

mscdirect.com has c260 brass is just about any thickness available in 12x12 inch sheets. Alcobra Metals in Spokane does as well.

Dan
He who dares not offend cannot be honest. Thomas Paine