Author Topic: G R Douglas  (Read 10782 times)

msmith

G R Douglas
« on: May 06, 2010, 01:39:51 AM »
I seen a Flintlock today that looks like  a contemporary.fullstock.  If I remember I think it had stamped on barrel flat between breech & rear sight, G. R. Douglas  .50 .  I don't know anything about contemporary guns, is that a barrel maker? Who? Where ? When? Any info would be appreciated.

Offline Frank Barker

Re: G R Douglas
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 03:35:39 AM »
GR Douglas is a well known barrel maker located at Cross Lanes WV. They are still in business but no longer make muzzleloading barrels.  I worked there back in the 60's and George Suiter of Wmsbg. fame, also worked there. Their barrels are of very high quality and I would select a Douglas barrel over any other barrel maker, if given a choice.

Regards....Frank

karwelis

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2010, 08:38:39 PM »
i have 1 rifle with a douglas barrel, and i love it to death
« Last Edit: May 09, 2010, 08:39:00 PM by crow killer »

msmith

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 08:04:20 PM »
Thanks for the info. So what was the timeframe that these ML barrels were made?

Offline Frank Barker

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2010, 06:06:00 AM »
I would say that G.R. Douglas made muzzle loading barrels from around 1958 til about 1980. I could make a phone call and find out the exact dates. They were made from octagon bar steel and cut to 42'' lengths, drilled to size on Pratt Whitney deep hole drilling machines, reamed to the finish size and rifled on Pratt Whitney cut rifling machines.
Regards    Frank

Offline frogwalking

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2010, 11:39:30 PM »
I built a .32 with a Douglas 13/16 bbl, 42 inches long when I got home from Vietnam.  It still hangs on the wall, and shoots very well when requested to do so.  Everything else on the rifle is all wrong.  I was  young and knew everything then.  Unlike now when I know very little.
Quality, schedule, price; Pick any two.

Offline A.Merrill

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2010, 10:09:22 AM »
In the late '70's Douglas sold barrels to a company called Allegheny rifle barrels. They took Douglas barrels an swamped them I have one 44in. 54cal. I love it! If you ever sell the gun, change out the barrel and keep the Dougles.
Alan K. Merrill