Author Topic: Iowa Shoot  (Read 4077 times)

Offline okieboy

Iowa Shoot
« on: May 07, 2010, 03:24:48 AM »
The Iowa State Chunk Gun Shoot,  put on by the Iowa black powder Federation is June 6,2010 near Des Moines. I wondered if anyone from here is going? My wife (the Coach) and I are going and looking forward to a good day of shooting and friendly competition.
 So far in my area (St. Cloud, Minnesota), I haven't met many people who shoot longrifles and no one who knows what chunk shooting is.
Okieboy

chuck-ia

Re: Iowa Shoot
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2010, 03:03:38 PM »
I don't have a chunk gun, from the talk I hear it would be fun though. I am about 120 miles north of Des Moines, never been to one of the Iowa Black Powder Fed. shoots, joined the club for a couple years. A couple of us have been putting on a couple shoots a year in my area, (Emmetsburg) steel targets mostly, if interested I can keep you posted on the dates and such. chuck

Daryl

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2010, 04:11:16 PM »
120 miles is a short trip, Chuck - couple hours at most.  you really should check it out - with a rifle, of course.

Offline okieboy

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2010, 08:09:38 PM »
Yes, that's short; we will come something over 300 miles. As for guns,  shoot what ya' got. I am waiting on a chunk barrel (actually at this point I have 2 on order), so I am just using my old southern rifle, a .45 x 7/8 x 42" flinter. I did change the sights. Besides, my opinion is that the gun accounts for about 20% of shooting, the rest is the shooter. All else you need is something to lay the gun over, a cheap piece of carpet to lay on, a paper spotter and some push pins to stick it on with.
 Well the weather here is poor, but I'm going to the range anyway and work on that other 80% of shooting.
Okieboy

Offline okieboy

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2010, 03:16:45 AM »
Here  are chunk targets from yesterday and today produced with a nonchunk gun.

Now to do it 10 times in a row!
Okieboy

Daryl

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2010, 08:24:33 AM »
Looking good Okieboy - now for those who didn't notice, in that .45, he's using a .455" ball, not a .440", and he's using a .018" patch, not a .012".
If the patch is a teflon, he's wiping between shots, and if it's cloth with a good lube, like spit or some other concoction, he doesn't need to, but might, as-is the norm in some areas.

chuck-ia

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2010, 01:15:38 AM »
Did you get my message? chuck