Author Topic: The Bladensburg School - Part Two  (Read 7859 times)

Offline Fullstock longrifle

The Bladensburg School - Part Two
« on: July 26, 2010, 05:57:21 PM »
I thought I would start a new post for this.  As I said in the thread about Carl Pippert, I was his last apprentice. I've always built mainly for my own pleasure, and have never made a rifle for anyone other that myself or a family member.  A couple of my rifles have gone away in trades, but other than that, I still own most of what I've done.  Other than some friends seeing them (and an occasional one laid on a table at a gun show) I've never shown my work to many people. 

Anyhow with that said, over the next few days I'll post some pictures of my rifles.  I'm no where near the league of a Carl Pippert, but he was a big influence on me and my work.  By the way, I haven't made one in a while, I spend most of my time doing restoration work, but this first set of pictures are of my last build that I completed about three years ago. It's in the style of Andrew Verner.

Frank

jwh1947

Re: The Bladensburg School - Part Two
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 07:05:48 PM »
Frank, you never were one to blow your own horn.  You are too humble this time around.  You learned well from the master and we both know that he was proud of you with good reason.  Having a student that grasps, learns and grows is one of the distinct pleasures in life. Quality apprenticeship is rewarding in both directions.  Again, I never saw anything you made that I didn't like.  Wayne

Offline Dr. Tim-Boone

• Global Moderator
  • I Like this hat!!
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 08:51:05 PM »
Talk about beautiful incised carving!! What a gun!!
De Oppresso Liber
Marietta, GA

Liberty is the only thing you cannot have unless you are willing to give it to others. – William Allen White

Learning is not compulsory...........neither is survival! - W. Edwards Deming

Offline WElliott

• member 2
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2010, 09:21:05 PM »
Frank, my friend, you are not only a gentleman but an excellent gunsmith.  Thanks for sharing with us.  I look forward to further posts.
Wayne Elliott

Offline Don Getz

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2010, 04:02:49 PM »
The Bladensburg school, comprised of Carl, George Stanford, Rudy Bahr and Bob Ditchburn (even tho he lived up in Gettysburg)...all of these guys did some great guns.   I also have a feeling that they were the basic "prodders" to get
the Paris's to make barrels.   I think Bob Ditchburn was a brother-in-law of Bob Paris, and I think he had a hand in helping
Bob Paris to develop some of their barrel making equipment.  These guys were all friends of the Paris family and were top
priority in getting barrels when they needed them..............Don

Offline rich pierce

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2010, 05:44:34 PM »
Very impressive.  That carving is superb.
Andover, Vermont

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2010, 06:16:35 PM »
Top notch work, right up there with the best these parts (ALR)  have to offer! Can't wait to see and hear more about the Blandensburg School and your fine creations! Frank, after 3 years you must be well rested and ready to dig in on the next build. Thank you for sharing :)
Joel Hall

Offline Robby

• NYSSR ―
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2010, 06:53:50 PM »
Frank, I love those Bucks County guns, and yours is a beauty!!
Robby
molon labe
We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. A. Lincoln

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2010, 11:23:17 PM »
Thank you for the kind thoughts and comments on my Verner.  There where definitely some challenges in building this rifle, especially the four parts involved with the rear pipe and eagle.

Don, your absolutely right about George Stanford and Rudy Bahr.  They did fantastic work and their rifles are much sought after.  Bob Ditchburn also did fantastic work, but I never associated him with the Bladensburg School, I suppose I only thought of students of Carl's as being of that group.  I always thought Bob learned independently from other sources.

Anyhow, this next rifle is a John Armstrong style rifle I made several years ago.  I drove to Pennsylvania with George Stanford to get this barrel from Bob Paris.  Bob and his family were nice people to deal with.  (so are yours Don).

« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 11:24:11 PM by Fullstock »

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2010, 04:11:45 PM »
I'll finish this up with a few of pictures of a pistol I made a while back.  It's silver mounted with a Ditchburn lock. 

My original intent with this was to give the younger builders some information on Carl Pippert and the Bladensburg School.  Hopefully, I've at least partially accomplished that.  If I can get additional photo's of some of the other builders work (from that school), I will post them as I get them.

Frank

Offline Majorjoel

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2010, 05:59:06 PM »
Frank, your fine work is pure candy to my eyes! It would be impossible for me to choose which I like better, as I find great appreciation in the work of both Vernor and Armstrong. You sure did each of these makers justice! As an apprentice of Carl Pippert, I'd like to hear about what it was like working for\with him. What were his quirks and pet peeves? His favorite finishing materials and techniques? Who were his favorite gunsmiths?   
Joel Hall

« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2010, 01:28:09 AM »
Joel, thanks for asking about Carl, I'll try to give you a short take on the kind of guy he was.

Carl grew up in Bladensburg Maryland and spent most of his life there.  Bladensburg itself boarders Washington D.C. and was the site of several historic events.  During the War of 1812, "The Battle of Bladensburg" was fought near Carl's home and the Bladensburg Dueling Grounds was practically in his back yard.  He also told me of finding cannon balls when he was a kid and rolling them home from nearby Fort Lincoln (a Civil War Fort).  In his youth, he spent most of his time in the woods or on the nearby Anacostia River, I guess you could say he lived the life of a Tom Sawyer or Huckleberry Finn.

Every Wednesday evening, Carl would host a get together in his basement/gun room.  You never knew who or what would show up there,  but some of the best rifles I ever saw would pass though his basement at those get togethers. I usually arrived early to show him my latest project and get his advice.  His most common dislike was too much wood left on the gun. He liked the forearms to be almost paper thin and he always said that there are no flat spots on a Kentucky Rifle, everything was supposed to flow.  But if he liked what you had done, he was quick to praise that at well.  Generally, he was a soft spoken man who had worked as a printer until he retired, he wasn't wealthy, but what he lacked in money he made up for in friends.

I think his favorite gunsmith would have been George Schroyer.  He always said that Schroyer was creative and always made changes in his work from rifle to rifle.  He also Liked J.P. Beck and Christian Hawkins work as well.  Before I knew him, he became interested in Nicholas Hawk and he owned a Nicholas Hawk rifle, swivel breech and pistol.  Eventually he sold (or traded) them to acquire more golden age rifles.

Carl liked to use nitric acid to color his guns, but said that it wasn't always easy to get the look he was going for with it.  Eventually he started using orange stain for his first coat (he said this made the stripes  on maple pop) and then he would use what ever color he was trying to achieve (usually brown) to finish it.  He would usually then use boiled linseed oil and powdered burnt umber.  When the finish was partially dried, he wiped off the burnt umber, but left some to highlight the low areas and carving. An example of that finish can be seen on the Lauck style rifle of his I posted.

Of course there is much more, but that's what I can think of for now.  As I've said before, Carl was a good guy who loved Kentucky Rifles until the day he died.  By the way, I still miss his insight and knowledge of the Kentucky Rifle, it's hard to replace all of those years of experience.   

Frank

jwh1947

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2010, 04:10:21 AM »
If I am not mistaken, Rudy Bahr is still active.  His work is crisp, too.  Anybody have one of his rifles to post?