Author Topic: Verner Fowler  (Read 3423 times)

Offline b bogart

Verner Fowler
« on: September 14, 2008, 11:45:42 PM »
I bought a Buttplate and tgaurd from Reeves at Friendship yesterday, and it was labeled Verner Fowler. Anyone know where I can get a look at the fowler this was taken from?? Pictures would be OK. Otherwise I'm just gonna make it look (to me at least) like his rifles with a rounded over toe on the buttstock. After all I'm going to make this a rifled gun (Colerain 40 cal 44" oct/round bnarrel). I just need a suggestion or guidance. By the way Friendship trip was enjoyable but HOT!
Bruce

Offline Jim Horn

• Starting Member
Re: Verner Fowler
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2008, 01:53:07 AM »
Bruce,
 Look in "flintlock fowlers" by tom Grinslade and  TOTW has one for sale with the hardware youve got.  Reeves also makes the same buttplate with a square toe. Oh yeah, Look in "Early American Flintlocks" bt Hartzler and Whisker
Good Luck, Jim

don getz

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2008, 05:05:25 AM »
Bruce......I would just follow the general Verner architecture, but round the bottom of the butt to correspond to the
buttplate that you have.   One other thing, I would not go with that fancy Verner entry pipe....that will drive you sane.
Just go with kind of a standard fowler entry pipe, the one that kind of comes to a point in the rear, should look OK.
Don

Offline b bogart

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2008, 11:13:56 PM »
Too late Don, I've already been accused of being crazy. That's kind of what I was thinking about that project. I don't believe that he used that entry pipe on all his guns! Thanks!
Bruce