Author Topic: Small Original Powder Horn  (Read 4724 times)

Offline whitebear

Small Original Powder Horn
« on: August 12, 2010, 04:08:04 AM »
This is an original powder horn that was in my uncles house when he passed away
30 odd years ago.  It is 6 1/2" around the outside curve, 2" X 2 3/8" across the oval but plug with a 1/4" spout hole.  But plug appears to be pine, held in by only 2 tacks with different size heads.  No indication of other tacks or manners of holding the plug in.  It was scraped to a very rough finish as can be seen in the photos.  I know that this is a very generic horn but and one care to make a guess about age and location of manufacture.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 04:11:01 AM by whitebear »
In the beginning God...
Georgia - God's vacation spot

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
Re: Small Original Powder Horn
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010, 03:22:05 PM »
  Pretty generic, hard to put a time and place on. Just out of curiously, have you checked the inside to see if there is anything in it? Like a note.

Tim C.

PS: My Great Grandfather, William Scherrer, homesteaded in Ontario in the early 1860s. The small pocket horn that was with his single shot percussion shotgun was similar only a little smaller in diameter and darker in color.TC   
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 04:09:45 PM by Tim Crosby »

Mike R

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2010, 03:49:47 PM »
I have seen many small plain horns like this--most in the southern highlands where MLing never really died out...many are late 1800s-early 1900s hunting horns for small bore rifles. Used to be common flea market items.

Offline woodsrunner

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2010, 07:21:17 PM »
I've got a couple like this lying around that Ron Ehlert gave me 10+ years ago. Also a blowing horn to call the dogs that Ron found somewhere local to him. Which brings up.......

Blowing horns. Why don't we see these? Heck, I grew up fox hunting as a lot of us country boys did! Blowing horns ought to be fairly common in rural areas of the South....anyone collect these ???

Offline art riser

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2010, 07:26:37 PM »
could even be a cap horn given the size of the spout...

Mike R

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2010, 08:58:23 PM »
could even be a cap horn given the size of the spout...

Good point--or a shot horn.

Offline flintriflesmith

• Flintriflesmith
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2010, 10:31:30 PM »
Blowing horns.
....anyone collect these ???

IIRC, Wallace Gusler had a couple of examples and talked about them at Mel's TN longrifle show at the Museum of Appalachia in the spring. I believe he also had a large conch shell blowing horn with a silver mouth piece on display.

I’m not a member of the Horner’s’ Guild but I seem to recall someone giving a talk at one of their meetings about blowing horns.
Gary
"If you accept your thoughts as facts, then you will no longer be looking for new information, because you assume that you have all the answers."
http://flintriflesmith.com

Offline Tim Crosby

• Administrator
  • AKA TimBuckII
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2010, 12:14:52 AM »
 Probably Billy Griner, he knows them well and makes a beauty.

Tim C.